PDA

View Full Version : ski boot for skinning/trees.quick light and responsive

jwt
11-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Looking at Scarpa and a couple of other lighter, backcountry use boots - but I want to be able to ski all day bumps, trees and more trees. is there such a boot? Ski shop - which doesn't seel much in that type says my skiing requires high end down hill only - skied Banff w/them so they know my level - but I think they want to sell me something they have.

ski Mantra and K2 backside 92 underfoot

Any help/opinions appreciated

Hawk
11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Well there in lies the big delema. Go to light, loose performance and possibly break stuff, go to heavy suffer up hill. If you intend on sking bumps in VT aggressively and often, I would not suggest using an AT specific binding, boot and skis combo. Some of the Bush pilot group has been going with the marker's and regular ski boots. I have seen others with the same set up and they use the newer AT compatible boots like Technica and Lange. Actually many of the boot manufacturers are getting into the combined set up now. The binding is the key it seems. You have to give up the lighter set ups for durability. The one thing that scares me on the AT technology is the releasing in a fall. I am not totally sold on it and don't entirely trust them. In powder I am not that concerned but when skiing bumps I am very concern.

That being said I went for the two set up quiver. Scarpa Maestrale, dynafit bindings and K2 sidestash skis for BC and then a regular boot/Ski/Binding set up for the lift serviced. I too like to ski fall line bumps on a regular basis and when I did this on an AT set up a few times it scared the Sh*% out of me performance wise. I felt that I gave up to much. In VT there are too many days that the bumps are not perfect. Now if you got out west that might be a different story. That is my take. Good luck.

jwt
11-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Thx Hawk,

I am 200Lbs with gear on, need quick response in trees - and those in between Ext/Bravo or Bravo/Elbow always have bumps, so can't have easy release. I have Dukes and am using Technica racings - have been for years - too stiff, too heavy and I don't race. Scarpa has been good to me for 30 years in hiking boots so I thought they might have something firm enough and high enough for both.

Anyone else with experience in BC with these set ups that can affirm they hold in NFZ's? ( no f-up zones)?

Thx

mr magoo
11-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I switched to Garmonts last year. While flexier, I was not disappointed with front-side preformance and control. At the end of the day, my feet and shins felt better. Being light and mobile walkiing around was a plus. In skinning mode, they were comfortable hikers. Go see a fit expert. I wanted to love the BD Factors, but I couldn't get them to fit me right. With the BD I had to choose between toe-bang or heel lift in a larger size. Garmonts were good for my feet right away.

ahm
11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Hmmmmmm, as a dedicated AT gear user, I would say you'll be fine on it. I also like to ski a lot of bumps and trees and find my AT gear just fine for that. In fact, when I switched to dynafit a few seasons ago, I went out and skied 'em on icy bump runs to see if I could trust them and they are fine. That said, it is not the right use for a dynafit binding, or a fritschi etc to be a lift served binding. As for skis, no issue and they are really very similar until you go to the lightest skis like Voile, maybe DPS, Treb, etc. AT boots will handle most people bump skiing on them. For reference: my setups are as follows:
1. Volkl Nanuk 177 cm with TLT vertical (lightest set)
2. Fischer 101 with Dynafit radical
3. Volkl Mantra 184 with Marker F12
4. K2 Mad'en AK 179 with Dynafit radical.
5. Mantra 184 with Marker hard binding (lift served rock ski)
Boot: BD Method, I also have factors but found them too stiff in the cold and the method a better all around boot.

I'll grab a pr of dynafit TLT boots this season for the super light touring set up and will replace the methods soon with either Scarpa, Garmont or maybe the new Technica if it fits.

In the end when it comes to quick in the trees and bumps, it's the skier not the gear. If you have a quick turn, the AT gear will be just fine. My Nanuks are great skis in about every condition especially east coast.

Have fun should be on the lift at the River on THursday!

AHM

jwt
11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
great info guys, this kind of stuff is the lists premier benefit as far as I'm concerned.

Much appreciated.

Happy Snow

bigspencer
11-28-2012, 10:48 PM
$.01...
Think you might wanna...at least try a few of the newer downhill boots(aka "Sidecountry") possessing walk-mode as well, and just see how a few of them feel. While maybe just as heavy as the Duke, my $.01 guess would be that the lower height of the newer "sidecountry" bindings might "ski" lighter.....y/n?

Brew Ski
11-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Not much to add since the guys who answered already pretty much nailed it.
I'd just add that the Baron is the lighter version of the Duke. Almost a pound lighter. If your weight and ski level can be handled by the Baron, go with that as the lighter weight will be much appreciated going up hill.

I'd suggest that you consider how much BC/uphill you plan to do before getting equipment. If you are out of bounds as much as ahm, follow his suggestions." Light is right", but you've gotta have the skills to be quick, light and handle the equipment if you hit an icy slope in the woods.
If you plan to use BC stuff mostly when lifts are on wind holds or occasional touring, a "side country" set up might be a better choice. All mountain/freeride expert level boots(some have a walk feature which is good for hiking up hill), with Marker Barons will work very well for that amount of BC playing. Skis - have a fat pair that tend to be lighter and not use metal so are quicker for some skiers.

Good luck.

Brew ski