PDA

View Full Version : Re: Goals for 12-13

HowieT2
10-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Ok lets have at it.

1. 10 powder days at the bush-considering i got 7-8 last season this is definitely within reach
2. At least 2 harrowing trips through a driving snowstorm up to vt. Been missing this the last few years. The drive gets boring and monotonous without some inclement conditions to make it a challenge.
3. Figure out what my next ski will be. Been on the line profit90 for 3 seasons and its getting to be time.
4.drink more. Especially bourbon. I need to step up it up on the alcohol dept.
5. Ski to jerusalem. See last seasons goals.
6. Ski out west with the family. See last seasons goals.

win
10-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Sugarbush's goals are:

1) Open the Saturday before Thanksgiving at LP

2) Stay open through April and maybe into May

3) Make sure everyone has a great winter!

Nick
10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
--> Get my wife on the slopes more often ... and into lessons
--> Get at least a handful of powder days .... more snow dancing
--> My son is now 4 months old ... not enough to ski yet so it's going to impact me a little bit either way ... but totally worth it :)
--> I'd love to go out west this year also, My sister moved to Colorado so I'm itching to go. She lives in Alma near Breckenridge.
--> Ideally get into some backcountry skiing, although it's going to be tough with my newborn son.

gostan
10-08-2012, 01:41 PM
1. Begin the 2012-13 ski season @ Killington or SR in October and finish it on Steins in May.

2. Hit my age in days of skiing .

3. Get up to SB & MR to ski a minimum of three midweek dumps.

4. Buy Howie a Woodford Reserve after a day of knee+ deep powder.

5. Find better tree skiing than Club X found at Revelstoke.

6. Learn how to cook an on time Saturday evening dinner for a dozen +.

HowieT2
10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
1. Begin the 2012-13 ski season @ Killington or SR in October and finish it on Steins in May.

2. Hit my age in days of skiing .

3. Get up to SB & MR to ski a minimum of three midweek dumps.

4. Buy Howie a Woodford Reserve after a day of knee+ deep powder.

5. Find better tree skiing than Club X found at Revelstoke.

6. Learn how to cook an on time Saturday evening dinner for a dozen +.

I like. we can do a tasting? Have you had the Hudson Valley distillers bourbon? mmmmmmmmm.

HowieT2
10-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Sugarbush's goals are:

1) Open the Saturday before Thanksgiving at LP

2) Stay open through April and maybe into May

3) Make sure everyone has a great winter!

c'mon Win. those are layups. Give us something.

gostan
10-08-2012, 02:58 PM
I like. we can do a tasting? Have you had the Hudson Valley distillers bourbon? mmmmmmmmm. I have not had that one! I would love to try it. I did get a chance last year to dive into some Whistle Pig (a Vermont Rye Whiskey) that John one of the bartenders at Timbers turned me on to. It was superb, but sold out completely. There are many fabulous small brew bourbons' to warm us up after a day on the slopes. http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2010/11/17/whistlepig-straight-rye-whiskey-launch-party/

HowieT2
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I have not had that one! I would love to try it. I did get a chance last year to dive into some Whistle Pig (a Vermont Rye Whiskey) that John one of the bartenders at Timbers turned me on to. It was superb, but sold out completely. There are many fabulous small brew bourbons' to warm us up after a day on the slopes. http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2010/11/17/whistlepig-straight-rye-whiskey-launch-party/

I've had the whistle pig. very good. if you had a chance to go the waitsfield farmers market this summer, they were giving out shots and the girl manning the booth was not unattractive. good stuff all around.

Hawk
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I hear you on the Whistle Pig Staff Howie. ;-) However I can't appreciate the brown liquor like you guys. It does evil things to me and makes me real ugly. I am a clear liquor person. Vodka, Gin or Tequila........or fine red wine or..... PORT! Huge fan of vintage aged port.

Anyway back on topic...

- Ski with different and interesting people. I have met so many new friends and I want to keep the trend going.
- Skin to win!!! no pun intended. ;-) Dawn patrol and beat the limo this year. No more bitchin about having the run tracked out even though I was on first chair....and dam the rules!
- Howie I am on the religious pilgrimage with you. I have Intel and a ride for us.
- More than one trip out west. I am definitely going to Squaw to visit a longtime friend. I just want to sneak my way back out. There are several trips I know of. Just need the right timing.
- More après - less pooping out. Sometimes I just can't get my a$$ of the couch when I ski back to the condo. NO MORE!!!

There you have it. See you all soon.

HowieT2
10-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I hear you on the Whistle Pig Staff Howie. ;-) However I can't appreciate the brown liquor like you guys. It does evil things to me and makes me real ugly. I am a clear liquor person. Vodka, Gin or Tequila........or fine red wine or..... PORT! Huge fan of vintage aged port.

Anyway back on topic...

- Ski with different and interesting people. I have met so many new friends and I want to keep the trend going.
- Skin to win!!! no pun intended. ;-) Dawn patrol and beat the limo this year. No more bitchin about having the run tracked out even though I was on first chair....and dam the rules!
- Howie I am on the religious pilgrimage with you. I have Intel and a ride for us.
- More than one trip out west. I am definitely going to Squaw to visit a longtime friend. I just want to sneak my way back out. There are several trips I know of. Just need the right timing.
- More après - less pooping out. Sometimes I just can't get my a$$ of the couch when I ski back to the condo. NO MORE!!!

There you have it. See you all soon.

Nothing wrong with tequila but i never touch vodka and gin is strictly my summer drink.

Im with you on the skinning. could work well for the pilgrimage. But thats up to ullr to bless us with a good base at the right time.

My problem with apres on saturday is that i am so pumped from the drive on friday night, that i usually dont get to sleep till 1-2 am. Then im up at 6, and by the time im done skiing at 3, all i want to do is crash. Dont really have a good plan to address this.

teletubby
10-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Skin to win!!! no pun intended. ;-) Dawn patrol and beat the limo this year. No more bitchin about having the run tracked out even though I was on first chair....and dam the rules!

Let's talk this through ... as I am also interested in partaking in this type of endeavor.

1. Assuming we are already season pass holders, skinning can not be construed as 'theft of services,' correct?
2. The spirit of SB backcountry policy is to check in with resort services prior to skinning within boundaries, though this might seriously test our weather prognosticating abilities as I'm sure when a surprisingly abundant overnight dumping occurs, the guest services desk will not be staffed at 5 a.m. the next morning.
3. There's always MRG on such occasions.

Hawk
10-09-2012, 10:36 AM
TT, no need to ask questions. You will not like the answers. We have been through this before. Trust me. :-0 See you on the hill.

SkiVideoGuy
10-09-2012, 10:48 AM
New skis

4+ Vermont Trips - 4 already scheduled!

Bourbon and cigars with the boys

Wife in Women's Camp at SB in March

Get better at bumps and eastern trees

Get really good at tuning my own stuff

Ski at least half my age (50) in days and ski like I'm half my age.

teletubby
10-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Ok, so in the interest of staying positive, I'll submit some alpine goals I shamelessly scarfed from Decas:

1. Ski in the matrix
2. Focus on dropping the shovels
3. Begin each turn near the tip (anywhere else and you're already too late)
4. Think two steps ahead, minimum!
5. Use the energy

win
10-11-2012, 04:48 PM
OK, Howie, ski at least 100 days!

groomer
10-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Its gonna be an epic snow year! The bands on the wooly mammoth caterpillars are broad and dark! Big snows to follow! Theres gonna be soooooo much snow that my goal is to groom FIS, Exterminator, and lower fis at least once this year. Theres gonna be that much snow! Oh yeah, and frequent trips through slide brook to keep the evac roads clear!

HowieT2
10-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Oh to be you.

gostan
10-12-2012, 08:31 AM
OK, Howie, ski at least 100 days!The reality is that none of us lowlanders are going to come close to 100 days. Only an upland full time Valley resident can possible meet that goal.

gostan
10-12-2012, 08:35 AM
We should all remember that infamous Warren Miller quote because this is a goals thread....."Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do."

Hawk
10-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Not entirely true Stan. I have a frined at SR that has done this. Of course they have a much longer season that SB. He achieved this by using all his vacation time, sick time and only working 4 day weeks.

gostan
10-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Not entirely true Stan. I have a frined at SR that has done this. Of course they have a much longer season that SB. He achieved this by using all his vacation time, sick time and only working 4 day weeks.Your friend must be single and who knows what else! I believe that Tree has only hit 80 days max ever (although I could be incorrect on that number). Heck, if SB opened on November 17th and stayed opened until First weekend in May and I took 3 day weekends for each of those 25 weekends and took two full 5 days in addition, that would only be 85 days total. I will stick with going for quality over quantity.

HowieT2
10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Not entirely true Stan. I have a frined at SR that has done this. Of course they have a much longer season that SB. He achieved this by using all his vacation time, sick time and only working 4 day weeks.

he'd have to ski 20 days a month for 5 months. that's virtually impossible if you're employed.

gostan
10-12-2012, 01:00 PM
he'd have to ski 20 days a month for 5 months. that's virtually impossible if you're employed.Howie, that is exactly what I figured. A few years ago, I skied at Alta with two retired Air Force fellows who annually rented am extended stay unit at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon Road and skied Alta/Snowbird for the month. Now, to me, that is much more appealing and doable than taking a bunch of vacation and sick time to roll up a huge total of mediocre days (along with athe powder days) here in NE. That is what I intend to do in the next couple of years. Oh, and by the way, the two 70 year old retired AF skiers kicked my ass!

HowieT2
10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Howie, that is exactly what I figured. A few years ago, I skied at Alta with two retired Air Force fellows who annually rented am extended stay unit at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon Road and skied Alta/Snowbird for the month. Now, to me, that is much more appealing and doable than taking a bunch of vacation and sick time to roll up a huge total of mediocre days (along with athe powder days) here in NE. That is what I intend to do in the next couple of years. Oh, and by the way, the two 70 year old retired AF skiers kicked my ass!

I'll take my days however I can get them, but 100 in a season is logistically impossible if you're employed and/or not living at a ski area.

Hawk
10-14-2012, 04:32 PM
OK Howie, keep in mind that particular year, SR opened in OCT and stay open until almost June. So 3 days a week for 28 weeks that year, two weeks of vacation and then all sick and personel time equals 102 days that year. I wouldn't have believed it my self but he was in my ski house and it was a big deal......to him.

ahm
10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
You guys are so funny on this thread of goals for the season........................Do you really come into the ski season with goals? I seem to just go skiing, plan trips and go on them.........................No goals or thinkin' about it. Plans for this season........................

1. AIARE Instructor Training course for Level 1: Steven's Pass WA in Jan.............hit Baker before or after depending on when the snow hits.
2. AIARE Level 3 course in Silverton, March 3 - 9, should be fun, away from the area and provide a good overview of the Red Mt Pass terrrain.
3. Some late March turns in the Chocs when I see the storm cycle coming
4. May San Juan's Ski Mountaineering trip

That should round out the season......................Have fun, be safe and don't log the "hundy" at the same hill

AHM

RopeTow
10-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Hi Win

How about this "stretch" goal: Obtain favorable comments from uber-tough critics on skimrv message board for early season snow-making efforts?

Best,

Rope

teletubby
10-16-2012, 06:24 AM
1. Spend more time admiring my greatness.
2. Continue to look down my nose and laugh in the face of people who actually set goals for their ski seasons. Imagine.
3. Dispatch my minions to research the behavior of ski junkies because it’s clearly lost on me.
4. Amass more world trips and designations to affirm my greatness, especially compared to most others.
5. Dispatch same subordinants to go out and buy me a skiing soul because it’s become quite apparent that I don’t have one.

Hawk
10-16-2012, 07:13 AM
1. Spend more time admiring my greatness.
2. Continue to look down my nose and laugh in the face of people who actually set goals for their ski seasons. Imagine.
3. Dispatch my minions to research the behavior of ski junkies because it’s clearly lost on me.
4. Amass more world trips and designations to affirm my greatness, especially compared to most others.
5. Dispatch same subordinants to go out and buy me a skiing soul because it’s become quite apparent that I don’t have one.

Dude, you need help. come by Castlerock and I will buy you a switchback and we can talk about this. ;-)

Hawk
10-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Hi Win

How about this "stretch" goal: Obtain favorable comments from uber-tough critics on skimrv message board for early season snow-making efforts?

Best,

Rope

Not a chance. ;-)

HowieT2
10-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Not a chance. ;-)

'nothing a phalanx of fan guns couldnt cure.

fwiw-saw picture of stowe testing out their new fan guns. jealous. have fan gun envy.

General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!

HowieT2
04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Ok lets have at it.

1. 10 powder days at the bush-considering i got 7-8 last season this is definitely within reach
2. At least 2 harrowing trips through a driving snowstorm up to vt. Been missing this the last few years. The drive gets boring and monotonous without some inclement conditions to make it a challenge.
3. Figure out what my next ski will be. Been on the line profit90 for 3 seasons and its getting to be time.
4.drink more. Especially bourbon. I need to step up it up on the alcohol dept.
5. Ski to jerusalem. See last seasons goals.
6. Ski out west with the family. See last seasons goals.

1. Check-got the powder days
2. One close call dodging a spinning out of control pick up, a few trips with snow on the road, but can't really say I drove through a storm
3. check-Line sir francis Bacon-now I just have to find a good deal
4. had some good nights but havent really stepped up the drinking.
5. still waiting for the jerusalem thing to happen
6. same with the trip out west.