PDA

View Full Version : Any progress on the Rice Brook project?

villager
07-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Didn't make it up for the 4th this year so didn't have a chance to see if any construction had started on Rice Brook. As of about a month ago they still hadn't broken ground. If they have by now does anyone have any pictures?

teleo
07-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Have not broken ground yet. Well they mowed it...if you count that. Heard one person say it was held up on state review and another said it was in act 250 and they were still hoping to break ground this summer. No idea if those are true, but what is an internet chat room for if not to spread unsubstantiated rumors?

HowieT2
07-09-2012, 09:44 AM
I stopped by the sales office and was told they were still in the permitting process but expect to get construction started next spring.
fwiw-3 BR starting at 619k. reasonable considering the location.

Brew Ski
07-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Over the 4th, someone in the Village told me that they finally passed the permit process and would start breaking ground in July or August.

Seems like a very late start which the person with the info agreed, but maybe they start on the grounds this fall and start the actual construction next spring.

Sure will be happy to have the road going up to the village parking lot in better shape. It is embarrassing right now.

Hawk
07-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Not really that late. These buildings do not affect the operation of the resort in any way except for the VD lift. I am sure they can move and modify the lift by December. Other than that they have 5 months to get the foundations in place, frame the buildings and close them in before the snow flies and cold temps set in. That is not that hard considering the size of the buildings.

Brew Ski
07-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Having worked lifts and maintenance at K-mart and having help replace/shorten a lift line, that is a job best done under very good weather. Trying to splice a lift line in any temp lower than 60F creates havoc. The metal doesn't bend and "work" as well when trying to splice the several strands back together. The dozens of folks needed to help hold and move the metal strands around won't appreciate holding cold steel in their hands for several hours during the course of the splice. Of course, since I'm not working that team, no big deal to me, but that is a rather grueling task.

You are right Hawk, getting the foundation dug and poured, the ground plumbing set and getting the building framed can be done before it gets cold. I'm hoping for winter to come in around November 1st though. Might put a damper on the construction crew if the snow banks keep them from parking anywhere near the project. Maybe Win can run the job crew into the job site in the Lincoln Limo until we open and get some serious powder!

sglatham
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Given that it is now July 25th, and there is no evidence of activity via the Sugarbush web site (photo's, news release etc) and there certainly would be given Win's shrewd marketing, I'd say the odds of anything happening this summer are NIL. IMHO that is.......Hopefully a good winter will make next summer a reality.

SkiVideoGuy
08-01-2012, 08:52 AM
So if they are delayed till next Spring to start on Rice Brook, any chance of wrangling up some funding for more snowmaking improvements or is it too late to get that in place?

HowieT2
08-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I think Win takes a break from the board over the summer but expect to hear what they are doing when he returns (hopefully).
That being said, they've done a lot over the last few years, and given the unplanned for need to rebuild the snowmaking pond and going over budget on snowmaking this winter, maybe they arent doing anything.

it's all academic. big big big winter incoming.

Hawk
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
We got a notice from the town of Warren about changes in the design of the buildings. I am not sure what drove this but it must have something to do with why they are delaying the start. I will be up all next week and will report back anything I hear.

villager
08-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I found a notice on the Warren town site that talks about some minor changes that have been submitted. It says a decision will be made by August 31st. (I tried to attach it but the file size is too big - here is the link for it - http://www.warrenvt.org/depts/zoning.htm ). I'm not sure if this is the same delay that was mentioned in the Valley Reporter:

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/en/news/news/8168-act-250-permit-delays-hold-up-rice-brook-residences-at-sugarbush

HowieT2
09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
word is the permits were issued.

win
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Finally. The Act 250 land permit was issued last Friday. We are now in the process of reviewing contruction bids.

teleo
09-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Congrats on the permits.

The email I got today said "I am very pleased to announce... ... we are happy to be moving ahead with this project this fall."

The web site at: http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-real-estate/sugarbushliving/blog does not include "this fall".

Do you still have a chance to start this fall? If so, can you start this late and not block access from Out to Lunch and SB village this winter?

HowieT2
09-07-2012, 08:23 AM
does the rice brook construction necessarily entail the movement of the village double??? if so, how can this possibly be done before the end of the season???

teleo
09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
If I recall the phasing docs, the first piece (phase 2.A?) was just the rice brook building and a bit of landscaping around them. Moving the chair was not included in the first piece, but as part of a second or third piece. Would have to dig through the docs on the warren DRB site to verify that. Was going to comment on that earlier in this thread, but never got around to it.

Hawk
09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Teleo is right. This phase is like 4 small buildings that will be situated just at the top of the Chez Henri parking lot adjacent to the Village covered bridge. The drawings make it look like there will be minimal impact to the Out to lunch trail and the parking Lot but I would bet with the staging area and construciton vehicles, it will impact the flow of taffic and skiers. The lift willnot be impacted this year at least and depending on sales of the units, maybe not for a while.

win
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
No blockage. That is a key feature of the design. Village does not need to be moved until we get to later buildings

ThinkSno
10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Can we expect to see construction progress pictures on the Sugarbush website as we did with the Schoolhouse & Farmhouse?

win
10-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes you can.

villager
10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
I was up this weekend and on Saturday they were delivering a bunch of heavy equipment like bulldozers, etc... to the site (sorry, no pics). So it looks like they might be starting on the foundation or site prep this fall.

shadyjay
10-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Job site trailer now on site... construction fencing/ribbon around entire area... looks like construction has begun!

noski
10-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Job site trailer now on site... construction fencing/ribbon around entire area... looks like construction has begun!
Look for this project to be completed 10/13.

noski
10-24-2012, 08:58 AM
So, I've been looking at the plans as best I can, and maybe I'm missing something, and maybe I can't read plans, but will there be retail in the Rice Brook project? With the new revitalized base area, that would be sweet to add a village style vibe to it. I know that the village is older and leaves a little to a lot to be desired, and I had heard there might be some shops going in the later stages. Any word on this?

I don't believe so, Ride. I think that this new development, and the new connectivity between the base area and the "old" village will result in a revitalization and natural transformation of that older area of the resort.

Hawk
10-24-2012, 09:54 AM
The description posted on the submission to the Town states that there will be some retail space in the project. It looks like this first phase does not have that in it. I think it will be the next set of buildings on a subsequent phase. Yes the village has several Condo Associations and some private owners like Henri Borel and none of it as far as I know is owned by the Mountain. If Lostone still posted he would know the specifics.

noski
10-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Like I said before, I don't know the ins and outs of everything, but isn't the current village part of that condo association and is therefore maintained by them? Wouldn't it be their choice to give it a new coat of paint and some general upkeep, specifically landscaping? Or is that still owned and maintained by Sugarbush Resort? If that's the case, then they let it slip a bit...

Sugarbush has no ownership in the Village area. These are all privately owned business real estate units. I am not aware of any business condo associations in that part of the village. The nearby residential condos have their own associations.

HowieT2
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd bet once you get increased traffic and business into the village, it will get spruced up. Its not that bad that it needs anything major.

speaking about needing major work, how 'bout the sharc?

gostan
10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I used to take my daughter and son & their friends to the SHARC very day after skiing in the late 80's/early 90's. I do not think that I have been back there for almost 18 years.

gostan
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Look for this project to be completed 10/13.Hi No, of course you are talking about phase 1 completion.

noski
10-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi No, of course you are talking about phase 1 completion. Yes, of course. :-)

Hrdstrt
10-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Fair amount of info on their website. http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-real-estate/sugarbushliving/blog

villager
11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Here are some pictures I took on Sunday of the foundation site. Pretty much only a big hole at this point. On the last picture you can see the work being done to the Out to Lunch trail. I'm not sure if the construction fences will be removed (ignored?) by ski season or not.

You can also see some of the natural snow covering on the lower trails!

villager
11-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Oops the server re-ordered my pictures! The second pic shows the out to lunch trail.

teleo
11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the pics. I heard a rumor that they were going to work until it got to cold/snowy and then pull the construction fences back to allow access via Out to Lunch. Hope there is access or else there will be a lot of upset people. On the plus side, looks like the re-grading of OtL may be in place to minimize the "climb" when heading towards GH.

teleo
11-08-2012, 10:26 PM
warren development review board - http://warrenvt.org/depts/zoning.htm has all the detailed plans.
You have to poke around in there a bit to find them. I forget exactly where they are.

win
11-09-2012, 04:40 PM
OTL will definitely be open! We will be regrading it so so that there will be the same elevation from OTL over to the Gatehouse lift making for a much easier ski over. The master plan is also available in the RE office in the Farmhouse. The first building off course in fully designed and people have already contracted for units. The next buildings are conceptual. We have an approved footprint and and approved number of units, but market demand will determine the exact details of future phases. Building E will be the last most likely. The proceeds from all these buildings goes to pay back the EB-5 investors whose capital was used for the development of the base area at Lincoln Peak. A lot of site work has been done and next week we might be pouring cement for the garage.

teleo
11-10-2012, 08:29 PM
OTL will definitely be open! We will be regrading it so so that there will be the same elevation from OTL over to the Gatehouse lift making for a much easier ski over.
Thanks for the confirm on OTL. And for keeping it open! Looking forward to the regrading. I could have used it the last few years towing my daughter over. But now she has poles and she'll probably be beating me over soon.

Hawk
01-25-2013, 07:36 AM
The site is active and they have poured the concrete foundations. They started the steel erection and started the install of steel decking on the first floor of one building. It looks like the poured the first slab and are picking away at the work. Winter work is always slow and costly. So yes things are moving along.

EB5??? Who knows...... that stuff is for the bean counters and the finance people.

HowieT2
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
My understanding is that doing the work in the winter is costing significantly more than waiting until spring. But they do appear to be making progress.

win
01-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Everything is on schedule. Yes, we raised $20 million from EB-5 and it was used for the base area developments the past five years. The EB-5 investor get their investment return form this next phase of development. They are at risk and if we are successful, they get theri investment back.

win
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Thank you. I am fortunate to have a great team here at Sugarbush.

teleo
01-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Here you go ride. From out to lunch looking towards the parking lot. You can see the school house on the far right.

Ride Delaware ?
05-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I was up at Sugarbush on the 3rd, and progress was moving right along. From the pictures I saw on the site this morning, the townhouses seem to be water tight and the condos have the plywood roofing. Looks like they are right on schedule.

From a sales perspective, I'm a little surprised none of the condos have sold, even if they are on the pricier side. The townhouses sold relatively quickly. They are sure to be too notch units and are in a wonderful ski in ski out location. I know this money is earmarked to pay back EB5 investors, so I wonder if that effects the amount of wiggle room they have in regards to sales. I'm interested to see how the rest of the project unfolds, so I hope the interest picks up. I believe I saw that they have been approved for the 2nd phase, but I can't see them moving forward until the majority of those have sold. Anyone know if there has been interest, and why try are selling so much slower than the townhouses?

Ride Delaware ?
07-28-2013, 12:04 AM
I saw pictures of the continuing progress, and I have to imagine that they will be completed on time. I wonder if the parking areas and landscaping will be done before the season or if they are putting the majority of that on hold until more phases have been completed. I also checked on the unit availability and noticed that one condo has now been sold and one is reserved. Looks like things are continuing to stay hot in the MRV.

Win, I know it's still a ways away with 7 units still unsold, but if these units sell at a decent clip, what is the approximate timeline for phase 2? Is that the phase that will have need for the lift to be moved?

random_ski_guy
07-31-2013, 03:27 PM
the units are beautiful. i think the slow sales is indicative of the weak economy and the evolving demographics of the northeast.

Ride Delaware ?
07-31-2013, 09:29 PM
the units are beautiful. i think the slow sales is indicative of the weak economy and the evolving demographics of the northeast.
Home sales have started to pick up. As the economy continues to grow (albeit slowly), and home sales continue to increase, I wonder if the MRV is speeding up real estate wise. Maybe that's why a couple units have sold recently. I'm sure Win has a better feel on the valley real estate market.

gostan
08-03-2013, 06:21 AM

Home sales have started to pick up. As the economy continues to grow (albeit slowly), and home sales continue to increase, I wonder if the MRV is speeding up real estate wise. Maybe that's why a couple units have sold recently. I'm sure Win has a better feel on the valley real estate market.
First home sales have picked up during the last 2 quarters in desireable communities due to the low interest rates, but that is already changing. The second home market has always been a creature of its own. And remember that in housing in general and especially in high priced second home housing many purchasers have little imagination as to what the finished product will look and live like & must see the end product to get wowed emotionally enough to sign up and buy. Rice Brook only further enhances this and there is still a plenty of inventory in the valley. And of course, more of the older demographic buyers will tend to look at buying second ski homes in Colorado and Utah and Tahoe instead of opting for a relatively expensive ski on ski off condo in VT. I do expect, however, that more of these first phase Rice Brook units will go to contract when the season gets closer to reality. And we are getting closer to season with August upon us.

Ride Delaware ?
08-05-2013, 09:00 AM
First home sales have picked up during the last 2 quarters in desireable communities due to the low interest rates, but that is already changing. The second home market has always been a creature of its own. And remember that in housing in general and especially in high priced second home housing many purchasers have little imagination as to what the finished product will look and live like & must see the end product to get wowed emotionally enough to sign up and buy. Rice Brook only further enhances this and there is still a plenty of inventory in the valley. And of course, more of the older demographic buyers will tend to look at buying second ski homes in Colorado and Utah and Tahoe instead of opting for a relatively expensive ski on ski off condo in VT. I do expect, however, that more of these first phase Rice Brook units will go to contract when the season gets closer to reality. And we are getting closer to season with August upon us.
I've looked at the MLS listings in the valley, and while there are a bunch, I didn't feel like it was larger than anywhere else. I think things have started to turn the corner. In fact, compared to some other places, I think the prices in the valley are somewhat less than surrounding resorts, excluding Rice Brook. I think there are plenty of affordable options (at the cost of quality and location of course). I also expect sales of Rice Brook will increase as the season continues to near. I'll be interested to see if the speed of these sales impacts the start of phase II.

We are over the hump now. The days have been getting shorter for over a month, the hemisphere has been cooling since July 21, and leaves will begin to change in several weeks. Lets all hope for another November 19 t2b opening.

HowieT2
08-12-2013, 03:37 PM
so I finally made it up to vt for the first time since late april. rice brook looks good.
trails on the mtn were wet with running water in spots.
inferno road paved with new guard rails. rte 100 being worked on in spots.
Terra Rosa is no more. replaced by the mad river grill. early reviews (not me personally) were underwhelming.

curiously saw large mounds of dirt towards the rear of the warren house parking lot, but no signs that anything was being done to connect that to the 22 acre lot.

Ride Delaware ?
08-12-2013, 08:14 PM
so I finally made it up to vt for the first time since late april. rice brook looks good.
trails on the mtn were wet with running water in spots.
inferno road paved with new guard rails. rte 100 being worked on in spots.
Terra Rosa is no more. replaced by the mad river grill. early reviews (not me personally) were underwhelming.

curiously saw large mounds of dirt towards the rear of the warren house parking lot, but no signs that anything was being done to connect that to the 22 acre lot.
I am relatively new to the MRV, so I'm not 100% sure where all of this stuff is. Was Terra Rosa the place on skiers right of the Access Rd when heading back toward 100? Is the Warren House the older looking restaurant also on skiers right not far from the base area on the Access Rd? What's the deal with that place? Did Sugarbush but the whole restaurant and is tearing it down for parking? Is it out of business? Is it potential shopping expansion?

southvillager
08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I am relatively new to the MRV, so I'm not 100% sure where all of this stuff is. Was Terra Rosa the place on skiers right of the Access Rd when heading back toward 100? Is the Warren House the older looking restaurant also on skiers right not far from the base area on the Access Rd? What's the deal with that place? Did Sugarbush but the whole restaurant and is tearing it down for parking? Is it out of business? Is it potential shopping expansion?

Yes on both locations. SB bought the former Warren House recently. It had been closed and for sale for several years. The resort's plan for the Warren House is a mystery.

HowieT2
08-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes on both locations. SB bought the former Warren House recently. It had been closed and for sale for several years. The resort's plan for the Warren House is a mystery.

correct. the warren house has been closed for at least several years. SB bought the property last season. The property abuts the "22 acre" lot which is used for employee/overflow parking and is currently accessed from Inferno road across from the entrance to snow creek. connecting the warren house property with the 22 acre lot would permit entrance off the access road thereby siphoning traffic from the base.

Ride Delaware ?
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Knowing that the property is private (henceforth how SB bought it), I would have to imagine that there is some longterm plan to do something with it, whether it be shops, or offices, or who knows what else. Its in a solid location and the visibility could be increased. I'm sure something along the lines of an off site restaurant/bar wouldn't be too bad either (see Wobbly Barn at Killington). Hopefully Win will return for the winter season and give us the skinny on it.

Hawk
08-16-2013, 12:42 PM
As Howie said above, they only have plans for overflow parking for now. I doubt we will see any more Bars and/or restaurants from them. They have 4 already to manage.

Ride Delaware ?
09-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Progress is moving right along. I haven't seen the plans that show how much of the parking is supposed to be done with Phase 1, since nothing has been done in the parking lot yet, but the buildings look great and should easily be ready by the ski season. I saw on the website that 9 units (all 6 townhouses and the penthouse condos) are under contract, and one on the second floor is reserved. As expected, they started moving pretty quick once the units got constructed.

I wonder if this is faster/slower than they expected? I wonder if they are planning on moving forward with phase two in the foreseeable future?