PDA

View Full Version : Pass prices / sales

ml242
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know how much passes will be for next year? I forget how much they were pre-season last year but I remember them taking a big jump from early season to regular in 11-12.

Even more importantly, I am comparing prices and weighing options for skiing next season (cheap pass out west yet again for extended trip vs. local), and it seems like Sugarbush and the rest of northern Vermont (stowe, smuggs, jay, bush) are the lone holdouts that do not offer next seasons rates or their passes for sale. Has it always been the case historically that these areas just leave money on the table for three months hoping to eke out more in the fall?

In this day and age, if not economy as well, why not have a tier of early bird rates after the super early bird prices (which justly reward people who are super committed to skiing their home mountain each year) to encourage people to spend? Commerce is available 24/7 on the internet and I know Al Gore is already to take my order if not a clerk at the base at every moment.

And, what about a down payment option so you could at least lock in a rate now and know what you're going to pay later?

I'm curious about the rationale, because it seems like their is a missed opportunity to do business here and if it's only a question of procrastination about deciding what the pricing will be, then it's a real head scratcher. Surely people must ask who come to bike as well, right?

I don't often take the initiative to tell business people how to take my money with better efficiency, but there it is. How much, and till when?

What I've seen and written down today:

Killington (NH): $830
Okemo Value (includes Sunapee and Stratton NH): $730
Whiteface (NH): $769
Gore: (NH)$699
MRG: (FF)$749
SANY Pass (FF)(every area in NY except Belleayre) = $938
Hunter:(FF) $849
Sugarloaf (FF)$715

West:
Epic pass: (FF)$660
Squaw/Alpine (FF)$750
Alpental: (FF)$489
Sierra at Tahoe (FF)$360)
Jackson Hole: (FF)$1600
Red: (FF)$860
Kicking Horse: $980

Jay Peak: $?
Stowe: $?
Smuggs: $?
Sugarbush: $?

nh=non holiday
ff= full freight

These prices are all valid today and some indicate they will be going up again in October.

Hawk
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I believe we paid $2100 for 2 passes last April....So $1050 +/- each? That was not a jump from the previous year. The early season rate is over and I would expect like $1,200 + for a 7 day pass.
It's cool that you took the time to offer your opinion on different payment options but I am afraid it falls on deaf ears. Most of what you said has been suggested by myself and others mutilple times. They do what they do. Occasionally they have a good promotion like the 420 pass last year but in the long run they are not keen on discounts after the initial early season offerings. Their idea of discounts usually come with restrictions on days or mountain access. Sorry dude but if you want to ski here you just have to pay the man. ;-)

gostan
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
My recollection is that in 2011-12, the early bird spring seasons 7 day adult pass purchase price was $1049 and that increased to $1259 with September 15th required purchase and $1499 thereafter. Ouch! As Hawk says, unless you are of college age or a for 20's pass qualifier, you are going to have to pay to ski @ SB. Here's hoping that the fall prices For 2012-13 are held to same as last years for those who did not buy last spring. A nice midweek 4th of July to all.

ml242
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info on the pass rates and increases from last year.

I don't expect to ski for free, and they can offer whatever price and pass options they like. I just don't understand the rationale behind not selling passes or telling you what they'll cost in the summer. Like I said, the internet ticket window is always open, and it's also the busiest time for foot traffic at the base with the upcoming holiday. First year I won't be going to take in the floats in quite awhile though, so maybe that will mean they WILL sell some passes. Cheap too.

But as long as I'm complaining then why not offer the exact pass I would like to see (6 days, no blackouts). Of course, that's a different story and totally subjective, too.

gostan
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info on the pass rates and increases from last year.

I don't expect to ski for free, and they can offer whatever price and pass options they like. I just don't understand the rationale behind not selling passes or telling you what they'll cost in the summer. Like I said, the internet ticket window is always open, and it's also the busiest time for foot traffic at the base with the upcoming holiday. First year I won't be going to take in the floats in quite awhile though, so maybe that will mean they WILL sell some passes. Cheap too.

But as long as I'm complaining then why not offer the exact pass I would like to see (6 days, no blackouts). Of course, that's a different story and totally subjective, too.Pretty valid point about the ticket window always being open with the WWW. Sugarbush should be selling seasons passes 365-24/7. And, why not institute a summer discounted rate, somewhere in between the spring and fall rates.

WWF-VT
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Looks like Stan has posted the prices for Seniors passes.

The Killington Unlimited Adult (19-64yrs) is $1199 through October 11, 2012 and increase on October 12, 2012 and Okemo Adult (ages 19-64) $1,229.

win
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Our prices are posted on the our website. Prices are up a couple of percentage points after staying the same last year.

ml242
07-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Our prices are posted on the our website. Prices are up a couple of percentage points after staying the same last year.

Thanks, Win. I appreciate seeing the prices and hope that posting them helps the Bush, too.