PDA

View Full Version : Re: snow depth measurement

HowieT2
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
It would be really helpful for judging the viability of off piste skiing if there was a well positioned snow stake in the woods. maybe somewhere around 3000' elevation.

Brew Ski
06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Howie,

There are plenty along the Long Trail going out to the "church". Several sings posted for the Long Trail summer hikers. "Take a hike" this summer from Castlerock to Heaven's Gate and find one that you like, can remember how tall it is without snow and is on your "path" when snow is there for hiking to the church. Then all you have to do is look at your sign and know the settled base depth.

If hiking out the LT is too much work or inconvenient, you could hike up to the observation tower at the top of Lincoln peak. The evergreens act as a wind guard and might be a reasonable measure stick for settled snow depth.

Or, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, their just might be trail signs mounted to really tall posts scattered around the mountain. Find one at an elevation you'd like and in a location that doesn't get any snow making (I might suggest castlerock area), and make a sharpie mark on it for the base depth you feel necessary for safe off piste passage. Since Troll road winds its way around and has some good sheltered areas, find a Troll road trail sign off the main trails to use as your base depth stake.

Or, you could check the website for the settled snow depth. That gets posted daily and I'm sure is highly accurate! :-)

Brew Ski

HowieT2
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I was thinking something off trail in the woods so as not to be effected by wind and drifting at about 3000' elevation. I don't think anything along the ridge line would be accurate or indicative of what is lower down.

Brew Ski
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
There is a bronze plaque on a wood post in Huey's woods. Dedicated to a Sugarbush skier. That is probably about 2500'.

This summer you could "drop in" to the top of Valeries while hiking or biking and pick a small diameter tree about 20 yards in. Place some colored tape every foot or every other foot as a marker you can see as you ski by on the traverse. Then you have a constant snow stake. Let me know which color is at 4 feet so I too will know when the snow pack is ready for off piste. ;-)

Something on the LT should also meet the requirements. ~ 3000' with plenty of cover to keep blowing and drifts from affecting it. Far enough from snow making to be accurate for "natural". And certainly no grooming effects.

I'll probably hike there in the next week or two, if I see a candidate I'll snap a pix and post it for you.

I just looked at the trail map. It looks like the intersection of Cotillion and Liftline is about 3000'. Nice off piste trail in there. That would be a good place to have a tree that gets used as a depth marker. can see if from the trail. I'll scout one out for you.

HowieT2
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
i think 2' settled depth is sufficient, no?

Brew Ski
06-08-2012, 04:40 AM
2' settled is fine if you are only skiing through Eden. There are some big rocks out there and fallen trees can hover 1-2' off the ground. Also settled depth on the flats doesn't account for the depth on a pitch. Especially off piste. Jump into Rock and rumble with only 2' of snow and your buying yourself new skis about 100 yards in. Or calling ski patrol.

The descents in Slide brook, if cut in the summer, are probably OK with 2-3' settled depth, but the traverse across has huge stones and massive stumps. Try hiking it in the summer, it is terribly uneven and very
"unpath-like". The bottom 1/4 before the run out also is rather rocky and stumpy. Busting a ski or leg before the bridge would really be a bad thing.

I'm certain some of the regulars here might feel free to jump into woods with only 2', but I'd seriously think twice about it. And certainly not with good skis.

My opinion. I'd tape the stake every foot for 6-8'. Besides with such a lousy snow season this past year, aren't we going to need markers at 8' to measure the "boat-loads of snow" we are going to get? ;-)

HowieT2
06-08-2012, 08:00 AM
there are always going to be ground hazards but I think 2' settled depth is a sufficient minimum to venture into the woods, albeit carefully and with the knowledge that you are not skiing on a maintained trail.

vonski
06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
If your making fresh tracks and not skiing through some one elses track. 2 feet should be good. its the second time through that gets tricky. and stay in the backseat with tips visible. working those hams and quads. But pitch does play a factor, the less steep the less snow needed for sure.

Hawk
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Howie has beeen reading "The List" and wants to be like Bratten. ;-) I think the stake is a Stowe thing. Howie I actually have my own stake of sorts at the elevation you want. It is off by it self and works pretty good. I marked a tree with a sharpie. ;-) So just ask and I will let you know.

HowieT2
06-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Howie has beeen reading "The List" and wants to be like Bratten. ;-) I think the stake is a Stowe thing. Howie I actually have my own stake of sorts at the elevation you want. It is off by it self and works pretty good. I marked a tree with a sharpie. ;-) So just ask and I will let you know.

I have no idea what you're talking about. wtf is bratten?

i'll gladly use your stake but think there should be an official one that is properly sited and checked so data can be compared over the years.