PDA

View Full Version : As the upslope falls.....

Hawk
04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
.....It makes me think that I need another weekend. Since Stowe is the only place left in VT that is 1) closed 2) has existing snow on the trails 3) will be getting over a foot of fresh today, tomorrow and possible into wed. and 4) has a liberal view of skinning....I think I might find myself there. ;-)

HowieT2
04-09-2012, 01:17 PM
hmmmm

Treeskier
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Just got a call from a friend at the top of Valley House Lift 10" New!

Some how I just figured we would close and it would start to snow! Go Figure!

HowieT2
04-09-2012, 02:28 PM

reopen???

djd66
04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Just like Mortimer Duke said in Trading Places,.... Get those lift operators back here,... "turn those machines back on"!

Hawk
04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Well Jay is still open with a ton of trails if I want lift serviced. They are also getting the upslope. After two weeks of SR and the drunkfest I endured over there, I can't go back. I still don't exactly remember what happen. ;-) The Bad Liver Valley has nothing on those fools. LOL No I was thinking that a relatively quiet couple of days of skinning is just what I need. I already have several that are interested and the Alchemist is on the way back. ;-)

I like the Mortimer Duke reference.

Hawk
04-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Of course it did Tree. That is just the way this year is going to be. I bet we don't see summer until July now.

HowieT2
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Of course it did Tree. That is just the way this year is going to be. I bet we don't see summer until July now.

it's a kick in the nuts, that's what it is. unless we get more turns out of this.

Brew Ski
04-10-2012, 07:27 AM
R U kidding me???? Now it is dumping?
I love big dumps!! ;-0
I didn't even see that it was going to snow. What is the deal? Actual snow or a few inches and some rain?
Looks like, from the webcam, the frost line is at about 1800', that means OG and Ripcord are probably awesome right now. Heck, even 3/4 of Steins should be fabulous.
This is torture.

HowieT2
04-10-2012, 08:28 AM
R U kidding me???? Now it is dumping?
I love big dumps!! ;-0
I didn't even see that it was going to snow. What is the deal? Actual snow or a few inches and some rain?
Looks like, from the webcam, the frost line is at about 1800', that means OG and Ripcord are probably awesome right now. Heck, even 3/4 of Steins should be fabulous.
This is torture.

serious snow above 2000'. I would assume there is significantly more than a foot already and should continue through tomorrow.

Hawk
04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
They have been talking about this for about a week now. Some places on the spine may get up to 3 feet now. Here is some images from Stowe posted from our friend on FIS that posts here occasionally......

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/a-morning-in-the-pnvv-pretty-northern-vermont-in-verydeepsnow/

I am going to Stowe on Saturday morning with a small group from here. You should come.

djd66
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Is the Lincoln Limo still available for rent? Where is it parked? at Mt. Ellen or Lincoln Peak?

gpetrics
04-10-2012, 11:18 AM
They have been talking about this for about a week now. Some places on the spine may get up to 3 feet now. Here is some images from Stowe posted from our friend on FIS that posts here occasionally......

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/a-morning-in-the-pnvv-pretty-northern-vermont-in-verydeepsnow/

I am going to Stowe on Saturday morning with a small group from here. You should come.

thanks for the link Hawk! Get after it up there! Stowe WAS great, but it was also quite crowded today.

Honestly it doesn't matter what kinda base was left at a ski mountain. There is so much WET and HEAVY and DEEP snow along the spine of the Green Mountains right now, that everything is a go. Stowe will be fun.. but so too will EVERYWHERE :D

don't worry about trivialities like a base right now... GO SKIING!!!!

HowieT2
04-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Is the Lincoln Limo still available for rent? Where is it parked? at Mt. Ellen or Lincoln Peak?

it was at LP the weekend before last.

HowieT2
04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
thanks for the link Hawk! Get after it up there! Stowe WAS great, but it was also quite crowded today.

Honestly it doesn't matter what kinda base was left at a ski mountain. There is so much WET and HEAVY and DEEP snow along the spine of the Green Mountains right now, that everything is a go. Stowe will be fun.. but so too will EVERYWHERE :D

don't worry about trivialities like a base right now... GO SKIING!!!!

if someone is listening perhaps they can get the lifts spinning.

MorningWoods
04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

I'm in for renting the Lincoln Limo!

Brew Ski
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM

3 Fricken feet!!! I think I'm gunna be sick. Turn those lifts back on!!!

Hawk, I'll start working on Mrs. Brew ski, but I think her in laws are coming for a visit. This is torture.

April feet, not inches.... I'd love to skin up and and ski the chin at Stowe. Long, long skin up, but the 3000' vert decent would be magical!

Treeskier
04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Killington is reporting 18" new this morning and opened the Gondola with ropes dropping everywhere. Suppose to snow all day/night into Thursday. Planning to day trip Killington tomorrow. Any takers? Mad River is claiming 24" up top but 1 inch at base. Elevation storm. Perfect for Heaven's Gate or Summit Lifts. Win if you reading you did say if it was 2.5 feet or so you would re-open. It's looking like that is a real possibility!

Hawk
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I will be up for the weekend. I will skin or if they open........ I think they should open Heavens Gate. Do it! Pull the trigger and be the man!

HowieT2
04-10-2012, 03:03 PM
i could live with the summit with downloading on the gmx, or Heavens gate or castlerock or the limo. ahh to heck with it. I'll take anything.

HowieT2
04-10-2012, 03:04 PM
From Stowe this morning. posted on another board

Thigh deep cement. This is not fluffy upslope snow. This is like 3 inches of QPF in two feet of snow.

Posted Image

Hawk
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
it's going to be warm on Friday....Cold on Friday night and Warm again on Sat. Morning. It will be corn for sure. But the coverage will be very good.

Hawk
04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Stowe this afternoon.

HowieT2
04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Stowe this afternoon.

that's by the gondola, right?

Hawk
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I think so.

teleo
04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Oh this is killing me. Lets start the chant - Open, Open, Open.....

beelze
04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh this is killing me. Lets start the chant - Open, Open, Open.....

You know I took the snows off on Friday....totally predictable. Was told Kmart was grooming this afternoon.

HowieT2
04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
crickets?

gostan
04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Killington
Http://www.skitheeast.net/posts/id/11198052771/ste-tv-April-dump-at-killington

Wish I was there, but an infamous Treeskier and Hardbooter should be reporting some time later instead of sooner.......

pcampbell
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM
get your skins on, there is no less than 24" from mid station up to the top at MRG. You can skin all the way up, and ski down all but the last 200 yards if you are careful :) It is HEAVY... i think most will fare better than me with skinny skis on 3 pin bindings with no cable or wire :( This could be inspiration for new skis because i think it could stick around a while.

this is not far up bunny.
https://p.twimg.com/AqO7t55CQAEMFAO.jpg

towards mid station
https://p.twimg.com/AqPTis5CMAASES1.jpg:large

HowieT2
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
A lot of people have been asking about the potential for reopening this weekend, and the official word is that we will not be spinning the lifts. Saturday and Sunday could have been Win's 99th and 100th days of the season, so he was certainly enthusiastic, but the realities of the situation dictate we stay closed.

bummer!

Hawk
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
That would be official of someone official had said it. Sorry you don't count Howie. ;-)

HowieT2
04-12-2012, 02:15 PM
That would be official of someone official had said it. Sorry you don't count Howie. ;-)

sorry, I was sloppy. that was a quote from Atkinsons Stoke exchange (or this week's anti stoke exchange). Is that official enough for you?
Besides, if they were reopening, it would have been on FB, twitter, AZ and here already.

pcampbell
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Too bad. I can see how how when april arrives and everything starts to close , a lot of people are moving on to spring - summer sports . I think a minimal opening at Mt Ellen with downloading could have worked great but maybe not profitable or they've already sent everyone home for the season. I am not sure. But there are other options though. Killington, Jay and skins. Anyone else open ?

southvillager
04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I have a large group (7 guys) going spring skiing this weekend, plans made long before the big melt. Oh well...Killington it shall be.

teleo
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
That is a bummer. So it's either hike, or haul to kmart. bummed.

Treeskier
04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Had a great day at Killington yesterday.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/470242_3595574138798_1556808726_3146366_1837484874 _o.jpg
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/524168_179370865517492_100003337395380_283626_8866 13365_n.jpg
I was really hoping for another lift accessed Sugarbush weekend, Especially after Win saying if we got 2' or more. Sad to see them not use the MT Ellen resource of being able to ski the top only. One of the reasons they are not opening South is that they had already scheduled to have Super Brovo maintenance this week. (it would have been strange for it to be down in a year like last year) I will agree that while Killington had a good foot in the parking lot as seen on our web cam and Mad River's down low we seem to have only gotten an inch or 2.
I understand Sunday River is planning to close on Sunday and it's going to be FREE. Any one want to join me?

win
04-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Beleive me, no one is more bummed than me and Lili, but after assessing the mountain today and realiizing what it would be like on Saturday, we just did not feel it would be worth re-opening. The top will likely be OK, but getting down is the challenge. Bravo has nothing to do with the decision. Valley House can get to Heaven's Gate. Thanks to all of you for your support and enjoy hiking or riding a lift this weekend. (nice picture Tree!)

HowieT2
04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Disappointed but understand.

Hawk
04-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Hey great year everybody. I hope to see the usualy suspects mountain biking this summer. Looking forward to the new trails when they come on line.

I will say that skinning this weekend revealed that there was plenty of snow to open at Stowe and on Steins. Conditions were a little manky but all it would have taken was a little skier traffic to make it all good. I think it just shows that the economics were the factor and not snow. Just sayin. I hope and pray the events of this year don't dampen the overall picture at Sugarbush.

See you soon.

skiladi
04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the sunscreen. Good to see you guys. Thinking a Jay trip might be in my future. ; }

win
04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Wow! All the snow went fast last night! Hopefully, you will still find somewhere to ski this weekend.

pcampbell
04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
has anyone been up... could you still ski summit half way down or something???? i'm thinking no, but in denial...

I went up Mt Ellen on Friday and you actually could have ski'd top to bottom. The sunshine double still had a few inches of ( I'm guessing this was leftover blown snow?) corn and you could cut across at the top over to crackerjack. I'm sure that is all dry now.

it looks like even the upper reaches of the mtn are done :(

lucky friday the 13th:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7087/6927938912_4db40ca75b_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/7074018679_176af67853_c.jpg

for comparison, march 23:
https://p.twimg.com/AosGuysCIAA5paV.jpg

it was really, beautiful and sunny and very white up there. I will probably hike up tomorrow and scope it out.

pcampbell
04-17-2012, 01:09 PM
confirmed there is nothing left this morning. you might get 200 yards of continuous coverage on the upper portions in the shade. I got these new skis that I'm not going to get to use until november!!! I heard some more snow might be coming next week. Not anywhere near as big.

Treeskier
04-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Could it be another uphill snow storm brewing.

NOAA shows snow Sunday into Tuesday http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Waitsfield&state=VT&site=BTV&lat=44.18&lon=-72.82

Mother Nature may still not be done with us. Maybe she is just having hot flashes followed by chills.

Hawk
04-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Nope I am officially out......well unless I follow my wife to Crystal on her next busness trip. They are talking July at Crystal. Nice. I was on the bike the last 5 days and it really feels good this year. Trails down south are like mid summer. No Spring this year at all.