PDA

View Full Version : Skier death

HowieT2
02-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Terrible news. I had heard there were a bunch of injuries yesterday but nothing about a fatality. Terrible news.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20120204/NEWS02/120204028/Sugarbush-skier-dies-after-hitting-tree?odyssey=nav%7Chead

mattlucas
02-05-2012, 02:57 PM
That is simply awful news. My deepest and sincere condolences to the friends and family. I can't fathom how it happened but I'm sure terrible luck played the biggest role, and this person clearly had a lot of time left to live.

My heart skipped a beat hearing about this; yesterday was my mothers first day on skis since blowing out her ACL in 1996 on Spring Fling. She had been cruising off of the Gate House as the news broke. I'd also like to send some positive thoughts to the Sugarbush Ski Patrol who I'm sure gave 110 percent and still ended up with this terrible outcome. This sort of incident must hit them very hard, and it's important to note their diligent work in getting so many injured skiers down safely, time after time.

Be safe, all.

Brew Ski
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
That is really sad.

While there may not have been more information at the time of press, it seems that the reporter should have gotten a few details to make the report more clear, instead of just a blanket statement of the skier tragedy. Was the skier wearing a helmet? Did that influence the severity of the accident? Was the skier skiing beyond his ability, out of control/reckless?

I just hate to see the mountains name associated with a tragedy without any other supporting information. It is kind of like falsely accusing the mountain for having trees on the hill.

djd66
02-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Brewski - Nobody is blaming the mountain and I don't understand why t-f you would put that out there. Would you feel better if someone put blame on the skier? I knew this guy, he had a wife and 2 young kids in blazers and he was a Sugarbush regular - and a great guy and a great skier. He loved the mountains like ALL of us. I personally feel so bad for him and his famliy - what a horrible tradgedy. It could easliy be any of us. Lets just leave the BS out of this tread and let the poor guy RIP.

Hawk
02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Yes djd66 is right. It could happen to any of us. A truer statement there is not.
The obituary is out there if anyone cares to know who he was. I will leave it up to you and your internet savy to find him. I think I remember this guy from riding the lift with him. If so then I agree with djd66 that he was a good skier.
Be careful out there people. RIP JW

Brew Ski
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Sorry you took my post as such. That certainly was not my intention. Basically the article is written such that the non skiing public associate Tragedy + the name of the mountain. Bad association for the mountain. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and one of our season pass holder family. There has been bad press recently of people being reckless and dying on slopes. Without any details reporting other facts, such as you mention, it just turns people away from the sport. That was my point. Not making BS, not pointing fingers, not forming blame. Skiing is an inherently dangerous sport. Accidents happen. I've had to life support an expert skier who caught an edge and shot head first into the trees at Sugarloaf. It was terrible. It was just an accident along the edge of a green crossover trail. Happened in a split second. Very sad, for him. Very sad for this poor guy and his family too.

Tin Woodsman
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I just read the obit. Tragedy is the only description. As a father of two young ones around that age, this really hits home.

RIP

beelze
02-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Been off the mountain w/ an injury so just hearing about this today. Is there any more info on what/where it happened? I saw one write up which said the upper part of Sleeper?