PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Skis

MntMan4Bush
01-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Nice day skiing Rumble and Liftline on Sunday. Rock skis recommended. However when I got down at the end of the day and went to grab my other pair of skis that I brought as a back up and left by the Super B chair they were gone. Ended at 3:30 and there weren't a lot of skis laying around so I definitely didn't miss them and they have a pretty unique top-sheet so there's no way that they were confused for another pair.

All ski racks were checked in case it was an accident and they put them elsewhere, but not likely. Report filed with the mountain and local ski shops called. So in a last ditch effort I figured I'd post here. If you see a piece of garbage skiing on a pair of 2011 Rossignol Scratch twintips, with black Rossi bindings and that piece of garbage isn't me, feel free to crab tackle them. It's a pretty unique (and embarrassingly punky) top-sheet and I haven't seen anyone else at the mountain with them so it's a fair probability they might be mine. Here's a link with a photo I found online http://www.evo.com/skis/rossignol-scratch.aspx#image=47364.Size.LengthCM_181_Image.j pg

Also when I reported it to the mountain and filled out the report I got the standard party line of "That never happens around here. "That's very rare" and for the most part I'd agree with that. Hence my naive trustworthiness. However when I reported the issue to some ski shops I had heard that there have been a dozen or so cases of stolen skis in the past 2 weeks and that recently it has been on the rise. One shop said I was their 6th regular customer to report it in the last two weeks. For the volume of skiers that we get that seems high to me. Is the mountain not aware of this? I imagine they would be from the reports they get. I remember seeing more security last season walking around, but haven't seen any at all this year. How about on weekends that you plan on having multiple tour buses come you have someone walking around in uniform as a deterrent? Or if there is a rise in ski thefts how about a sign or two around so that I know to be more on the guard than normal. I'm not looking for a "It's your own responsibility....blah blah blah" response here nor am I saying it's the mountain's fault, but how about a little security here.

To quote Pulp Fiction "I'd have given anything to catch that A-hole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it"

Hawk
01-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Dude, I wish you caught the F*#@er in the act! That would have been very entertaining. I have to say that the Bush is way safer compared to the other places I used to ski. I have lost a pair of skis and several bags in past years at other places. I feel for you though. I know those skis and will keep a lookout on Craigs list and other places. Good luck.

FYI - most recently SR had a big issue with stolen skis. They put undercover people on the hill and left very expensive skis out as bait. I was told that the word got out and the thefts have dropped off.

ReefBum
01-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear this. The last few years I have not been concerned at all about leaving new/relatively new skis on a rack but that changed this year when I heard this sort of thing has been on the rise.

win
01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I am going to look into this. I have heard of this many. We still do have Security walking around but may need to be more visiible at times.

HowieT2
01-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Dude, I wish you caught the F*#@er in the act! That would have been very entertaining. I have to say that the Bush is way safer compared to the other places I used to ski. I have lost a pair of skis and several bags in past years at other places. I feel for you though. I know those skis and will keep a lookout on Craigs list and other places. Good luck.

FYI - most recently SR had a big issue with stolen skis. They put undercover people on the hill and left very expensive skis out as bait. I was told that the word got out and the thefts have dropped off.

we could have new reality show, Bait Skis. probably a Pats fan.

all kidding aside, i'm sorry. nightmare. Fookers should burn in hell. keeping my eyes out for them.

Pastime
01-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I know of a few people that have been ripped off this year. These were not brand new skis and were up near the Bravo lift. Hopefully it is far and few between.

MntMan4Bush
01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I like the idea of a reality show. Tebucky Jones isn't doing anything right now. I say we set it up and have him come out of no where and de-cleat the first person who touches them. Then we can have Vince Wilfork sit on them while I tell them my opinions of snowmaking.

It does kind of suck as I'd just gotten too relaxed here at the Bush. If I'd seen anything about a rise in theft I probably would have taken better measures, but I guess I can be the canary in the cave for the rest of you.

It's interesting that other skis have been stolen form near the Super B lift. I actually figured it would be fairly safe up there. I mean if someone was going to snag a pair I thought they'd grab something on the way out close to an exit. I did email SB and asked if the snow cam was recorded or not, but they said it was just a live feed. A cam or two with 24-48 hour look back capability might be nice. Dual purpose. It could show conditions and be a theft deterrent. Well at least for me with a pretty recognizable top-sheet. If they took my Mantras or someones Bandits or 8800s I'm sure it would be harder to spot them walking out.

djd66
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Continuing on the Pulp fiction lines,.... I bet you'd like to take a pair of pliers and a blow torch - go medieval on his ass!

Sorry to hear about your loss MntMan. I would bet if the Mountain put up some cameras + signage there would be very little theft problem.

HowieT2
01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
A sign saying the area is under video surveillance would do the trick.

Brew Ski
01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Dude,

That really is terrible. I'd usually use a string of expletives there but this is a family site. As a season pass holder, and someone who enjoys the mountain year round, I feel like the mountain is mine. Just like hanging out in my living room in front of the fire, hanging out at the mountain just feels like home. To have your skis snatched by some piece of garbage is a total affront. It seems so wrong. Most of us leave our "stuff" hanging around while enjoying time in the pub, or around the fire pit talking and chatting. Having your skis swiped is like having your car stolen from the parking lot. Totally wrong, totally unexpected and totally pisses you off. sorry about the potty mouth (typing?).

So, since we are all going to protect your blind side so to speak, what exactly is the protocol for when I see some punk shushing in your new skis? Do I tackle him? Do I call ski patrol? If I'm in lift line do I act like a D-bag and pop him out of his binding and demand to see a receipt? Anyone? I mean, I know this is America and we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, so when I question some filthy Jets fan wearing your sweet rides (just an example, calm down), if he makes a break for it, can I get all Pulp Fiction on him, or will I lose my season pass for playing mountain vigilante on him? Just wondering what the accepted protocol is?

FWIW, it is usually best to record the ski serial numbers and keep them in you wallet during ski season. Then if some benthal cretin swipes them, you can give the serial number to the shops around the valley to keep an eye out for them. Eventually, the dirt bag will take them in for a tune ( he stole them, at least the animal can keep them waxed for the love of God), the shops can give you a call. How awesome would it be to be waiting for him to show up to pick up your skis. The shop guy could tell him it was going to cost $300 for the tune, just to get him riled. When he started arguing about the tune price you could casually step in and give him a great one liner...(I'll let you come up with your own, I've got one I'm keeping and would hate to give it away). Now take out the club, the pliers and the torch....

rant over. Hopefully you find them or get them returned to you in usable shape. Sad. Really sad.

MntMan4Bush
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Well as much as absolutely leveling anyone wearing the same skis would be a great idea in my mind there is still the remote possibility that someone else has the same bad taste in top-sheet design as I did. Regardless I had my skis mounted at Alpine Options and they are going through their records and looking for my serial number (which I will write down myself now going forward for all my skis). I have called all the local ski shops and told them I will be able to get them the number shortly and I'm sure if I get a "hit" AO will expedite the search.

Once I get this I will also share it with SB lost and found to amend my report with. So if someone does in fact see potentially my skis out there I would think the best recourse would be to alert a lift operator or SB personnel. They could in turn approach the person and say that someone reported their skis missing and they wanted to check real quick if that person had accidentally grabbed the wrong pair. They could then check the number and if it didn't match they have an "out" because it was non-accusatory. If it does match they can hold them down and make them watch "What Dreams May Come" in high definition. A punishment worse than anything I can imagine. I'd rather take a flight on Southwest Airlines than be forced to watch that movie and that's saying a lot. If I had skis that I bought and someone approached me that way I don't think I'd be upset (unless it was a powder day) if they wanted to check them real quick. If I bought them I'd know I didn't do anything wrong so I should be fine. Plus AO can back me up that they're mine from the mounting.

In short they're gone. This thread was as much to warn all of you that ski thefts are on the rise as it is anything else. The days of leaving gear lying around while hitting the Pub or my skis outside unlocked are over. I hope this weekend there is a bit more visibility and perhaps some notice so the thieves know the pressure has been turned up and maybe they'll move on to stealing snowboards. As a skier that wouldn't bother me at all............

pinnoke
01-31-2012, 09:25 AM
other than the serious side of losing one's skis to theft, you guys sure know how to both inform, and entertain those who are more readers than posters...filling in some of my hours between ski runs in addition to my own rants. Glad I'm not a Jets fan nor snowboarder, though I have other deficiencies, as I'm often reminded. Perhaps I'll bump into you in the CRP, or one of the many restaurants recently reviewed. What a (mostly) wonderful Sugarbush world!

slaw
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Lost a pair of 160 K2 Womans Paybacks with Marker Griffon bindings the other day. (white/yellow/Blue). Probably was a case of mistaken identity as there were a pair or Demo/rentals of the same type left at the end of day. Way beat up. Anyone know if any of the Valley shops rent this ski? I have the rentals. They do have a ID number engraved into the tail but no local sticker of any sorts. Have called Alpine Ops so far (no go).

Hawk
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
You know I put my ski lock away when I left Sunday River years ago. I guess I will now venture up to my attic and reclaim it. ;-)

MntMan4Bush
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Not sure if they rent that ski or not but the other rental shops are:

Mountainside: 802-583-WAXX (9299)
Infinite Sports: 802-496-3343
Vermont North: 802-583-2511

Good luck.

muddy_hollow
01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Lately my wife likes to sleep in on Sundays and then walk down from the condo to the resort. The kicker is that she has me carry her gear up and leave it on the racks, which I don't mind doing being the good husband. But, I did invest in one of those new ski locks for the aluminum racks. Works great and I feel much better that some dick won't lift her boards or poles. Most times it's just a dumb mistake, but then you get some bus-riding kid who decides to up his quiver.

Call me paranoid, but I also lock my bag to the racks with a ski lock. There's not much worth stealing except my spinach salad for lunch and some raman noodles for my kid, but if they go it'll cost me $30 bucks for us to each lunch at the bush....

A couple cheap locks keeps the retards (oops did I use the R word) from nicking your kit.

win
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Checked with GS. We have had a total of 8 reports of stolen skis at both mountains this winter. A bit more than normal. Most reports in past years have turned into mistaken ski pick-ups and then returns. However, we have asked Security to step up their vigilence. Reporting missing skis immediately does allow us to alert our staff and keep a look out in the parking lot.

rfm
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
You might want to check EBay, Craig's List etc a few years ago a couple of teens were caught with stolen ski's after they posted a set of skis they lifted on EBay and the original owner saw them while looking to purchase a replacement set.

MntMan4Bush
02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been checking daily as well as another site I found. They're gone though I'm sure.

As for time-wise I let GS know as soon as I figured it out. Perhaps on days when there are 4-5 buses protocol might be if lost or stolen skis are reported if the bus hasn't left yet someone from GS checks the cargo holds. If they have left perhaps they could notify the bus company and the driver or tour organizer can check when they stop and unload. Just a thought.

vonski
02-02-2012, 04:00 PM
a but that would be bus person profiling. Can't have that type of profiling going on. LMAO just see what happens in East Haven CT. The mayor is eating tacos for dinner and officers getting arrested even though crime went down. GEEZ!!! and my wife is Puerto Rican and will tell you to bust the dump hispanic slugs causing the problems in East Haven.

Soundrulz
02-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Sorry about the loss. Our family was just at SB and I'm happy to see they now have the new ski rack lock system that has been in use in Ontario, Canada for many years. Since we have these locks, we used them each time we are away from our skis. Otherwise we split the skis up. I'm very surprised how many folks leave unlocked brand new skis paired together!

Note to Win,
Can you place the new lock racks in front of the CR Pub?

ThinkSno
02-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Other ski areas with large crowds now have a ski-check, where mountain employees manage a fenced-in ski-corral, and issues tickets (like a coat-check) for skis & boards. Some places it's free, others cost a few dollars for the day. Either way it's good for peace of mind-- just sad to hear that ski theft is on the rise in the MRV.