PDA

View Full Version : Jan 12-13 coming storm

Brew Ski
01-11-2012, 07:23 AM
If you believe any weather forecaster (and that is kind of hard to do, admittedly), it looks like good snow is coming for the end of this week.

Josh Fox on the Single Chair Weather Blog is predicting 10-20" through Friday, with a nice day on Saturday and very cold on Sunday. It will be great to actually see some snow fall throughout New England, but even more important for the Valley and the Mountain to get a big dump. Everyone feels better after a big dump!!;-P

Better get those skis tuned for Pow. It is coming. Friday morning will probably the pick of the weekend. Tough for us working stiffs. I'll likely have to pass it up and wait for another storm before taking a powder flu day.

Let's hope this is the first of many, many more powder days to come. Maybe we can get some of that Alaska 18 feet of snow to come our way? Everyone lean to the East for the rest of the week, maybe it will help pull all those storms across the Country.

Hawk
01-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Hey! I already started a thread on this. What my thread is not good enough for you???? ;-)

Brew Ski
01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
It moved down so low on my screen I missed it in my sleep deprived state.

Looks like a good set up for the coming holiday weekend. I'm hoping for another blast next week that I can actually go up and enjoy. I'm on the bench this weekend.

HowieT2
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
If you believe any weather forecaster (and that is kind of hard to do, admittedly), it looks like good snow is coming for the end of this week.

Josh Fox on the Single Chair Weather Blog is predicting 10-20" through Friday, with a nice day on Saturday and very cold on Sunday. It will be great to actually see some snow fall throughout New England, but even more important for the Valley and the Mountain to get a big dump. Everyone feels better after a big dump!!;-P

Better get those skis tuned for Pow. It is coming. Friday morning will probably the pick of the weekend. Tough for us working stiffs. I'll likely have to pass it up and wait for another storm before taking a powder flu day.

Let's hope this is the first of many, many more powder days to come. Maybe we can get some of that Alaska 18 feet of snow to come our way? Everyone lean to the East for the rest of the week, maybe it will help pull all those storms across the Country.

you think friday better than saturday??? I'd be concerned about the winds on friday.

Hawk
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm skiing both and prob. thursday, Sunday and Monday also. :-p

HowieT2
01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm skiing both and prob. thursday, Sunday and Monday also. :-p

well goody two shoes for you then.

seriously, this weekend is looking off the charts good. fresh snow and big football games starting at 4:30 on saturday and sunday. oh baby!
I'm even going to root for the pats just so i dont have to hear about tebow anymore.

Yard Sale
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm even going to root for the pats just so i dont have to hear about tebow anymore.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank my lord and savior ULLR for this bounty to be blessed unto us.

Hawk
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
First and foremost, I'd like to thank my lord and savior ULLR for this bounty to be blessed unto us.

Dude!!!! It ain't on the ground yet. Don't jinx us. ;-)

Hawk
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Howie, I think that Friday is going to be fine. They are actually talking about the snow picking back up on Friday morning with upslope all day. We will see. I am not going to count on any of this and will count it once on the ground. But as several wise people at the hill have told me many times, "you have to be here when it happens". I'm not going to miss this one at least like all the ones I missed last year. ;-)

HowieT2
01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Dude!!!! It ain't on the ground yet. Don't jinx us. ;-)

seriously YS. WTF. if anything goes awry, we're coming after you

HowieT2
01-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Howie, I think that Friday is going to be fine. They are actually talking about the snow picking back up on Friday morning with upslope all day. We will see. I am not going to count on any of this and will count it once on the ground. But as several wise people at the hill have told me many times, "you have to be here when it happens". I'm not going to miss this one at least like all the ones I missed last year. ;-)

I totally agree and I'd be there with you if I could. love skiing while its snowing. 'nothing better.
but i'd keep my eye on the wind hold issue for friday.

HowieT2
01-11-2012, 11:27 AM
what are the chances saturday they run the limo for first tracks???

Hawk
01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I would imagine that there would be a good chance if there is new snow. Win?

Yard Sale
01-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Sorry about that. You're both right of course, but I couldn't resist parodying the pious punt machine, Tim Tebow.

If you must seek retribution, I understand. I'll be on the Lincoln Limo first thing and then I'll be awaiting first chair at the CR lift. ;-p

I have just one request, no hitting the face.

ReefBum
01-11-2012, 01:21 PM

"Upslope snow" is mentioned every now and then here so I wanted to pass along a definition I found on the net:

Upslope snow, which is technically called orographic snow, occurs when an air mass is forced from a low elevation to a higher elevation as it moves over rising terrain. As the air mass gains altitude it quickly cools down which can raise the relative humidity to 100% and create clouds and precipitation. The highest precipitation is often found slightly upwind from the prevailing winds at the crests of mountain ranges. Due to the fact that this is the area where the peaks most abruptly reign over the rest of the topography, it is also where there is most upward lift and instability. As the air descends the leeward side of the mountain it warms and dries, creating a ‘precipitation shadow’. Essentially the moisture is squeezed or raked out of the clouds by the high mountains.

The northern Green Mountains are the ‘front line’ when it comes to NW flow. The spine of the Greens ends in northern Vermont which then gives way to the open plains of southern Quebec. The cold, moist air travels south and meets its first obstacles in the northern Greens. As a result, the highest NW facing slopes get nailed. Valley locations are considerably drier because they are not able to force the air upward. As previously mentioned, there is a down sloping/ negative component that creates a precipitation shadow for valleys. Good thing we don’t ski in town.

Sorry for the deviation...now back to the snow dancing.

Brew Ski
01-11-2012, 02:23 PM
you think friday better than saturday??? I'd be concerned about the winds on friday.

Friday will definitely be better than Saturday. That is when the powder hounds will get the goods. The skiing on the weekend will be good, don't get me wrong, but the Powder will be used and abused by Hawk and the Friday crew by beer O' clock on Friday. The snow is supposed to hit Thursday through Friday mid day maybe even late Friday afternoon. If you want fresh pow, Friday first chair! Or Lincoln Limo if it is running.

Sad that I'm buried under work, with pending milestones (yes, plural) and no chance to cut out early on Friday either. I'm on the bench this weekend. Perhaps my sacrifice will appease Ullr and he'll bestow great tidings of Pow to the Mountain as such. Just remember to thank me while your choking down 20" of blower POW, and have a switchback for me in the pub at beer O'Clock.

Brew Ski
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Seriously, Yard Sale??? You know better.

You better beg Ullr for forgiveness and plan on letting Hawk cut the line and have the Chair in front of you as penance for such actions. So Naughty! Bad Yard Sale. Bad!

gostan
01-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I really enjoy looking at snowfall total maps......especially if the numbers are big......& get bigger............we hope.................

HowieT2
01-11-2012, 05:01 PM
I really enjoy looking at snowfall total maps......especially if the numbers are big......& get bigger............we hope.................

note that's friday at 6 am. i think the bulk of the precip from the second wave will be friday afternoon through saturday morning.

Tin Woodsman
01-11-2012, 05:08 PM
note that's friday at 6 am. i think the bulk of the precip from the second wave will be friday afternoon through saturday morning.
Moreover, that's for populated areas in the valleys - the Spine of the Greens would almost certainly see a 6" bump from whatever falls down low.

gostan
01-12-2012, 04:51 AM
What a smorgasbord of weather conditions. NWS has now slightly reduced snowfall totals for today and is now calling for mostly rain tomorrow before turning back to snow. I know that this is in the Valley, but reports today from those on mountain will certainly give us all a better idea of what is going on at elevation.

HowieT2
01-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Dont think the rain forecasted is of significance. Just a touch of ncp between the real precipitation. Good for the base.

noski
01-12-2012, 07:57 AM
All you mobile device guys and gals: SB webcam is now viewable on your iPhone and iPad. Thank you, Sugarbush!

Brew Ski
01-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Snowing at a good clip just north of Boston. Sticking to the ground at 5:30 am. 28F.
33 in Cambridge and rain.

Map is showing a good amount of energy, hopefully the cold pushes south a bit more.

Should be snowing on the Mountain. Let the counting begin.

gostan
01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
All you mobile device guys and gals: SB webcam is now viewable on your iPhone and iPad. Thank you, Sugarbush!Win, when you read this, remember that a webcam higher on the mountain(s) would be so much more user friendly and illuminating. And, it would definitely help to bring new bodies to ski SB. It is surprising to me that SB has so many tools with the Web, Facebook, texts, etc. and has not yet taken the last step to show everybody what is really flying up high!

win
01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Someday. Right now it is snowing and accumulating and I think this storm is going to give up close to a foot by the time it ends Saturday morning. Temps look like they are staying down on the mountain. I just had a great couple of runs.

gostan
01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Someday. Right now it is snowing and accumulating and I think this storm is going to give up close to a foot by the time it ends Saturday morning. Temps look like they are staying down on the mountain. I just had a great couple of runs.Enjoy! I will be driving up from Boston late tonight to get some runs in tomorrow. ski ya!

boze
01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Webcam seems to show mixed precip at 2pm - any on mtn reports much appreciated, incl what it's doing up top since us lowlanders are 'blind' to that for the time being.

Yard Sale
01-12-2012, 02:21 PM
base temp shows 28 degrees summit shoing 19, so I'll guess that what your seeing on the webcan may be a little pasty at the base. Up top probably prett nice right now. It's getting increasinly harder to be productive here at work.

gostan
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
What do you call "uptop" on a day like today? Mountain website is reporting Heavens Gate and Summit closed for the day and North Ridge on hold, due to high winds. We need some reports from the hikers on the MT.

boze
01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Release the Cat on a recon mission - certain they'd find some willing souls to help measure & assess!

HowieT2
01-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Release the Cat on a recon mission - certain they'd find some willing souls to help measure & assess!

Release the Kracken!

ReefBum
01-12-2012, 04:01 PM
The latest forecast from Josh Fox....looking very good.

The first area of precipitation brought 4-6 inches of snow, sleet and freezing drizzle to the northern Green Mountains. As expected, the evening and overnight hours should be relatively quiet although sporadic freezing drizzle could cause trouble on some of the roads. The second low pressure center is spinning its wheels across the Midwest and beginning to push east. It is a very dynamic system with some vigorous jet stream support as alluded to in previous posts. Temperatures in the lowest few thousand feet of the atmosphere, based on some cross sectional analysis will be a bit marginal during the early morning Friday so when precipitation re-commences in earnest between 5 and 7 am it might be more of a sleety rain. By 9 AM the lower troposphere will have destabilized significantly and we should see rain change to snow and temperatures to turn abruptly colder. Snow should continue through much of the day and could at times become heavy during the evening Friday. 6-12 inches of powder Friday and Friday night is a conservative estimate. I would not at all be surprised if we outperform. A lot of the NWS forecasts will be tailored to valley locations where accumulations will be substantially less. Right now for instance the NWS forecast for Washington County says 1-3 Friday with an 80 percent chance of snow Friday night.

Yard Sale
01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
As decribed by the FIS guys, this snow will be landing "right side up". With the damp stuff landing first, but as the temp drops the product will just get lighter and lighter.

shadyjay
01-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Hiked all over the mtn today... well, Birdland to Lower Organgrinder 3 times. Stayed all snow all day. We turned off the guns on Birdland around 1pm or so. Lots of snow there and on Lower Organgrinder... hope y'all enjoy it!

boze
01-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info ShadyJ, much appreciated. See you on the hilll this wknd.

sgottmann
01-12-2012, 05:46 PM
What are your thoughts about skiiing tomorrow. Winds look to be pretty rough and from the south. What lifts do you think will be open? Worth an earlier am departure for afternnoon skiing? Just trying to get a feel before I commiit my family to the trip. Thanks.

ReefBum
01-12-2012, 06:16 PM
what are the chances saturday they run the limo for first tracks???

According to the Sugarbush website, the Lincoln Limo is running Saturday morning.

HowieT2
01-12-2012, 06:20 PM
My understanding is that winds will be an issue tomorrow.

Round one down. So far so good. Round 2 on deck. No whammies.
This weekend is shaping up nicely.

HowieT2
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
According to the Sugarbush website, the Lincoln Limo is running Saturday morning.

Oh i hadnt noticed.

ReefBum
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Oh i hadnt noticed.

It was sort of buried in the snow report under Additional Notes.

HowieT2
01-12-2012, 07:23 PM
It was sort of buried in the snow report under Additional Notes.

I was being facetious. All over that action.

gostan
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Light snow @ 11 am.
Heavy snow at 12:30.
Poor visibility @ top
No wind right now.
But windy as heck @ 1:30 as front comes through. Bravo just closed down & the dash is to Gatehouse.

Pastime
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Will there be enough snow for Castlerock or North Lynx lifts to open this weekend? Maybe if the wind slows and the tempature is not too cold we could see the Slidebrook Chair open as well.

shadyjay
01-13-2012, 04:37 PM
According to the snow report, Castlerock will be open for hiking access only from the top of Heaven's Gate.

Going to be way too cold for Slide Brook Chair on Saturday and Sunday ... not sure about the snow cover on the access roads out there.

Dress warmly, folks! Forecast for the valley is saying +11 on Saturday and +6 on Sunday.

win
01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Going to try to open North Lynx if possible. We will see what tonight brings. Making snow on Stein's and hope to have that open on Sunday. Guns will be out across the trail tonight and tomorrow so it won't be skiiable on Saturday but should be on Sunday. Making snow on Ellbow tonight. Looks like we will have close to 100 trails tomorrow. Very windy tonight but our guy sees it diminishing in the am. Fingers crossed on that.

Hawk
01-13-2012, 07:56 PM
So I would say that there was about 7 or 8" from yesterday and last night. It snowed hard all afternnoon for another 4" at least and it is absolutely dumping right now. Wind shut down everything except the Gatehouse by 1:30ish and it is now gusting at 40 or so right now. I know where I will be early. ;-)

Paradise and Spills skied very well today. Tomorrow they will be in great shape early. The heavier snow Thursday was just what the doctor ordered.

Hawk
01-14-2012, 06:48 AM
6:45.......12 Degrees and wind has died. I bet we got about another 8" or so after the lifts closed yesterday at the bottom maybe more. I am headed out the door now to check. :-) See you in line at 7:30!!!!!

gostan
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
The lack of posts about today's skiing certainly means that we all had a fab day. The cold was not as bad as I thought it would be because the conditions all over the mountain were so fine. And a full boat of 111 trails tomorrow to boot. And, my team is booting the Broncos back to the corral out west. Sweeeeeet!