PDA

View Full Version : Matt's 2011-2012 Valley Restaurant Reviews

mattlucas
01-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Common Man III: It's early to tell but much like Star Wars this could be the best of them all. Enthusiastic new owners, killer menu. They're definitely putting their spin on things. The menu prices are still a bit high for the valley but the food and ambiance was totally worth it. In fact, putting everything into perspective the $150 I laid down for dinner was actually a bargain. Killer wine, fish options, great service from Jillian and Chris-Anne. I'm really excited to go back when I get a chance.

Grade: A+

Mad Taco: If I took my Queens authentic tacos and doubled the price to get them in the valley I'd be happy. If you doubled the price again and made the meat super awesome quality and provided 50-100 custom house made salsas, I'd still come back. What took me so long to venture in? Ski vacation fail, that's what.

Grade: A

Hostel Tevere: Went for Brunch for the millionth time. Still good. Awesome energy, tasty meals, priced perfectly fairly. I'm jealous that my friends get to stay there while I sleep up on the mountain. Ok, not really. But still, I'm always psyched to hit this place when I'm hungover, when I want to get a beer, or when I'm starved from Hiking or Skiing. Giles is the best host even if he hates the Yankees AND Snowboards. Booooooo. Lawson's on top makes up for it.

Pine Tree Pub: Service was super friendly. Free Billiards, which would be great if it wasn't for kid after kid slamming the balls in the hole. What do they think this is, the NBA? The service was super friendly (again) each night I went but the beer list is uninspiring (two Switchbacks, lame) and the food is worse. What gives? This is a call-out to let the owners know that even things are coming around, but they could try harder. Overcooked chicken breast with no sauce just makes it so I won't order food again there until the next person changes the name even though it'll probably be the same. Just get the Mad Taco guys to cater. I don't know. NYE looked like a great party and I'll be back for a drink.

Grade: C-

Chez Henri:

Just stopped in for a glass of wine and a mouse for New Years. Always great to see Henri and Bernard. Some hooligans defaced their Yelp and TripAdvisor pages based on the prix fixe NYE and that bums me out. Everyone I saw looked to be having a great time and the place was jammed. I can't wait to get back for a lunch time soup and a burger when the Out to Lunch trail is open.

Grade: Priceless

Mad River Glen Basebox:

Had the chicken salad sandwich and it was tasty. Veggie wrap was bursting at the seams. Good soup too. Service was terrific from Brian at the bar. Is he new? Just kidding. Mad River Glen, eat it if you can.

Grade: B+

Warren Store:

Ok, if you have guests in the MRV this is probably the one place you can't afford to miss because it's too good and too Vermont. Everyone reading this knows that. Make sure to grab some wine and postcards while you're up here.

Big Picture:

I want to write a haiku about your sunny windows. I'd try really hard not to gripe about the prices. Breakfast and lunch, excellent. Sandwiches, cool soups like Indian Lamb Sweet Potato, Huevos Rancheros, and tons more. Dinner, please see the above choices I guess. But the Movie Festival looks really cool, I hope it gets picked up by the boston/montreal/new york city press. You guys deserve it for having a great program, ambiance, food, drinks, and that damn sunshine during the day.

Apologies to MothaStuffa's, Local Folk, Pitcher Inn, the pizza place I've yet to try, Purple Moon, Slide Brook, and the rest of the places I would like to get back to this winter. May it snow 1000 inches so I have no excuse to get back many times.

If anyone else would care to review/re-review please feel free to add.

noski
01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
+1, excellent.

HowieT2
01-05-2012, 12:48 PM
the pizza place in SB village makes good pizza.

I hate to post this, but I had some horrendous service issues over the holiday. maybe it was dumb luck but it was unbelievably bad.

sgottmann
01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
the pizza place in SB village makes good pizza.

I hate to post this, but I had some horrendous service issues over the holiday. maybe it was dumb luck but it was unbelievably bad.

At the pizza place? or somewhere else? Holidays are tough on all business. Hopefully, it was a one time thing

I have not been out to eat much this year other than lunch at Mutha Stuffas. Awesome, large sandwiches. Homemade bread. Serves beer. No crowds. Can't wait for some SNOW so I can ski over and get stuffed. Call ahead and your Cuban or Guido will be ready for you. Stuff your face at Mutha Stuffas, you won't be dissappointed.

Also, ate at enhanced Wonderbra. Food was good, service was great. No fryer so no french fries, wings or or kid food (but they can eat at cafeteria downstairs).

Gonna go out to dinner Saturday night with wife and 3 kids -- any recommendations.

Treeskier
01-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I've made my observations below in () and added a few other restaurants below. Fun to see what other think.

Common Man III: It's early to tell but much like Star Wars this could be the best of them all. Enthusiastic new owners, killer menu. They're definitely putting their spin on things. The menu prices are still a bit high for the valley but the food and ambiance was totally worth it. In fact, putting everything into perspective the $150 I laid down for dinner was actually a bargain. Killer wine, fish options, great service from Jillian and Chris-Anne. I'm really excited to go back when I get a chance.

Grade: A+ (can not rate since I have not had a chance to try it since the new management)

Mad Taco: If I took my Queens authentic tacos and doubled the price to get them in the valley I'd be happy. If you doubled the price again and made the meat super awesome quality and provided 50-100 custom house made salsas, I'd still come back. What took me so long to venture in? Ski vacation fail, that's what.

Hostel Tevere: Went for Brunch for the millionth time. Still good. Awesome energy, tasty meals, priced perfectly fairly. I'm jealous that my friends get to stay there while I sleep up on the mountain. Ok, not really. But still, I'm always psyched to hit this place when I'm hungover, when I want to get a beer, or when I'm starved from Hiking or Skiing. Giles is the best host even if he hates the Yankees AND Snowboards. Booooooo. Lawson's on top makes up for it.

Grade: A (B for taste D for quantity. Dinner definitely did not have enough food per dish for the price, especially since it is a Hostel)

Pine Tree Pub: Service was super friendly. Free Billiards, which would be great if it wasn't for kid after kid slamming the balls in the hole. What do they think this is, the NBA? The service was super friendly (again) each night I went but the beer list is uninspiring (two Switchbacks, lame) and the food is worse. What gives? This is a call-out to let the owners know that even things are coming around, but they could try harder. Overcooked chicken breast with no sauce just makes it so I won't order food again there until the next person changes the name even though it'll probably be the same. Just get the Mad Taco guys to cater. I don't know. NYE looked like a great party and I'll be back for a drink.

Grade: C- (Your kind. I agree service is fine but the kitchen needs to do better)

Chez Henri:

Just stopped in for a glass of wine and a mouse for New Years. Always great to see Henri and Bernard. Some hooligans defaced their Yelp and TripAdvisor pages based on the prix fixe NYE and that bums me out. Everyone I saw looked to be having a great time and the place was jammed. I can't wait to get back for a lunch time soup and a burger when the Out to Lunch trail is open.

Grade: Priceless (!!! May be the best food in the valley)

Mad River Glen Basebox:

Had the chicken salad sandwich and it was tasty. Veggie wrap was bursting at the seams. Good soup too. Service was terrific from Brian at the bar. Is he new? Just kidding. Mad River Glen, eat it if you can.

Grade: B+ (A- for the chile)

Warren Store:

Ok, if you have guests in the MRV this is probably the one place you can't afford to miss because it's too good and too Vermont. Everyone reading this knows that. Make sure to grab some wine and postcards while you're up here.

Grade: A (same)

Big Picture:

I want to write a haiku about your sunny windows. I'd try really hard not to gripe about the prices. Breakfast and lunch, excellent. Sandwiches, cool soups like Indian Lamb Sweet Potato, Huevos Rancheros, and tons more. Dinner, please see the above choices I guess. But the Movie Festival looks really cool, I hope it gets picked up by the boston/montreal/new york city press. You guys deserve it for having a great program, ambiance, food, drinks, and that damn sunshine during the day.

Grade: A (Same especially for the deserts)

Local Folk Smoke House

Good service, lots and lots of great beer choices. Food is good but wish the pulled pork was more moist and a thicker BBQ sauce was also offered.

(Grade C)

Hydeaway

Good service. Lots of locals to visit with. Food is good middle of the road fair. Glad to see they allow you to switch around sides again. Do need to offer a more juice burger (not the "local organic" hockey puck)

(Grade C)

The Den

Probably has the best Berger in town. Juice well cooked and lots of fries. 2 sizes well priced. But other things I've tried where not very good. Fish and chips where way over battered and mushy, "Dog Bones" country style ribs where the cheepest cut of meet, lots of fat.....

(Grade ((burger A)) over all D+)

Green Cup

Eclectic fair. Nice use of local ingrediants. Very tasty. Nice little restaurant. The type of restaurant that brings you a surprise cup of soup or something in between course just because. (not sure if it has opened since the flood)

(Grade A-)

1824 House

Just North of town. Nice airy barn restaurant. Did a nice job of mixing local and regional ingredients. Of the 4 of us who had dinner 3 gave it a A- and one a C.

(Grade B-)

Timbers

Beautiful interior. Nice up scale white table cloth restaurant. Overall food is good but but often way to Salty! Nice portions. A bit pricy at times.

(Grade B-)

Terra Rossa

Italian on the North side. Funny when you walk in it has a funny smell but learned later that it was the type of cheese they use. Was put off by it up front but have been twice and the food was quite good. Not so heavy like classic Italian fair but more lite and delicate.

(Grade B- to B)

win
01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Tree,

The white table cloths are done. Misse's husband built us some new tables. Also new dining area next to the fireplace. Try the ribeye next time you are there.

djd66
01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
What is up with the smell in Terra Rossa? I really like the food, but I can't get over the smell when you walk in. My wife and I have actually walked out because of the smell (dirty socks) If that is the cheese they use, they realy should think about changing cheeses.

FWIW - I love the Pizza Soul (in the Village) I actually have his number on my cell phone speed dial - I like to call my order in when i hit Lover's Lane and it is waiting for me when i get there.

ducky
01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Tree, Green Cup not been able to reopen since Irene - maybe in the spring. 1824 House no longer serves dinner - events only.

Pizza in the Valley is also good. In the old Perelli's location.

Don't forget Tracks, at the Pitcher Inn. Got destroyed in Irene, 4' deep in mud, but totally and beautifully rebuilt by great local builder and Warren Selectman, Matt Groom. Good food and service, less expensive than Pitcher Inn.

Treeskier
01-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for input. Guess I need to due further investigation. Sorta like exploring the trees. The lines once pass through can change due to weather or cooks discretion. Part of the fun of exploring and re-exploring.
Did I happen to mention I love to cook. Which at times makes me picky. I dislike paying $ for dishes that I could do better at. But I truly appreciate a chef's master piece when I taste it. Like great snow. I can come in all shapes, textures, appearances and flavors.

random_ski_guy
01-05-2012, 11:24 PM
I appreciate all the detailed food advise for the MRV. My two cents, Pizza Soul is fine...could use more sauce though...but I would get it again. Timbers is really quite good. It’s a very inventive menu and by NYC area standards (which I fully acknowledge is irrelevant to many readers) its priced very fairly. Considering the cost of lodge food, it seems like a no brainer at times to double the cost and quadruple the taste and quintuple the comfort to eat ski lunch at Timbers.

gostan
01-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Timbers is really quite good. It’s a very inventive menu and by NYC area standards (which I fully acknowledge is irrelevant to many readers) its priced very fairly. Considering the cost of lodge food, it seems like a no brainer at times to double the cost and quadruple the taste and quintuple the comfort to eat ski lunch at Timbers.But, do not forget that the two HDTV's @ the bar have lousy resolution compared to the smaller CRP bar tubes; the stools are wobbly with your ski boots on; the Martini's are larger than CRP @ same price; most of the children eating with families seem better behaved w less lap running; & it is not a really good spot to watch a football gme, and the hummus is simply refreshing.

ducky
01-06-2012, 08:31 AM
http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/en/news/news/302-tracks-is-back

Hawk
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Ahh the smelly cheese at Terra Rossa. ;-) It's an acquired taste. I think they use it on the Pizza and when they bake it, the smell fills the restaurant. I learned to love that smell in Chamonix. All the Savoyard restaurants in Cham have that smell because they bake the local cheese in most of the dishes and they also have that tremendous fondue everywhere. I can still feel the impact in my arteries. It's sort of like Midwesterners coming to Gloucester, MA and saying the place smells like fish. ;-)

I have to say I have not been to Terra Rossa in a while. My wife got really sick eating there and will not go back. I would give it a second chance.

Hawk
01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I appreciate all the detailed food advise for the MRV. My two cents, Pizza Soul is fine...could use more sauce though...but I would get it again. Timbers is really quite good. It’s a very inventive menu and by NYC area standards (which I fully acknowledge is irrelevant to many readers) its priced very fairly. Considering the cost of lodge food, it seems like a no brainer at times to double the cost and quadruple the taste and quintuple the comfort to eat ski lunch at Timbers.

Funny you should say that. I was going to say Boston Standards. ;-)

HowieT2
01-06-2012, 09:38 AM

really? I havent been there this year, but when I went last year I was nonplussed about the steak. Caveat is, for business I go probably 4-5x/year to the likes of Peter Lugers, wolfgangs, sparks, etc. in NYC so I am spoiled and therefore a tough grader.

random_ski_guy
01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Howie, Its interesting to me you would focus on steak. Steak outside of NY is just not the same, like pizza, so you cant have the same expectations or standards. Me, I'm not a steak man, so I have been selecting other options on the menu and they have been generally very good....particularly considering the whole package of convenience, setting, service and price.

Strat
01-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Surprised no one's mentioned Bongiorno's yet. Easily the best burger in the Valley IMO - huge piece of well-cooked beef on really nice French bread, and excellent fries that are both a little crispy and a little meaty. They also have KILLER wings, and a good variety of nice pasta dishes. Their pizza isn't Midtown NYC (and whose is in VT really), but it's solid as well.

Hawk
01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/en/news/news/302-tracks-is-back
The picture in that article is wild. Can you emagine the feeling seeing that in your resturaunt.

Hawk
01-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Been coming to the valley forever and I have never been in Bongiorno's but will have to try it.

With all this talk of Pizza I am surprised no one has mentioned Flatbread. Now some call it expensive pizza with an attitude but I love that place. Mind you we only go it there in the elbow seasons and occasionally with friends who we know won't mind waiting. Our staple is a bottle of good wine, the revolution salad with goat cheese and a 1/2 & 1/2 of whatever is on special. We love a table for two up front close to the oven. Friday nights on the way up in the spring and fall is our regular spot. Love the outside fire. The only problem is that by the time we make it in for dinner we have a hard time walking into the building on an emptyl bottle of wine and an empty stomach. ;-)

Hawks Rating: A

gostan
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Bongiorno's yet. Easily the best burger in the Valley IMO - huge piece of well-cooked beef on really nice French bread, and excellent fries that are both a little crispy and a little meaty. They also have KILLER wings, and a good variety of nice pasta dishes. Their pizza isn't Midtown NYC (and whose is in VT really), but it's solid as well.I had never been in Bongiorno's until last Sunday evening. The pizza was filling, but disappointing in its' blandness. However, until then, I never knew the extent of their menu & I would be interested in trying something else. How does a place like this survive when the two of us were the only people in the joint at about 7:45 PM in the evening. There were maybe 2 or 3 take out orders while we were there.

Dellwood
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the update on The Common Man 3.0, always liked Michael, and the couple that followed. Wait staff was good & friendly, glad to hear Jean-Anne (thought her name was Claire-Anne) is still there.

Have been skiing at Sugarbush for 20+ years, like the changes. Still miss The Warren House as an alternative, and really miss the Mushroom for lunch. John behind the bar hustling to get you a drink and feeling confident that the host or hostess would get you seated, no matter how big your party.

Have come to appreciate the slopeside ambience of Timbers for lunch, dinner and drinks. Will look forward the new dinning area in front of the fire .

Coming up for a week in January, any suggestions for intersting dinning experiences?
(Pitcher Inn for a family of 6 (young adults) gets a bit pricey.) In light of their recent plight might reconsider.

noski
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the update on The Common Man 3.0, always liked Michael, and the couple that followed. Wait staff was good & friendly, glad to hear Jean-Anne (thought her name was Claire-Anne) is still there.

Unless you are talking about someone different altogether, it's actually Chris-Ann and she has been a crackerjack waitress for quite a long time.

noski
01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Also worth noting, MINT in the Bridge Street Marketplace in Waitsfield has just re-opened following Irene. They serve only vegetarian, but you sure don't need to be one to appreciate and thoroughly enjoy their food. It is fresh, inventive and Iliyan's sauces are wonderful. They are open for dinner only Fri/Sat/Sun and lunch Weds-Sun.

MntMan4Bush
01-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Because New York is the only place you can get a good steak. Of course. I mean why would I expect the same grade of beef to be able to be delivered anywhere else in the world except the hub of the universe. Nor how could it be possible for anyone but a NY chef to be able to master the hidden intricacies of beef. I hope all you Jets fans are enjoying your delicious steaks this weekend. Reminds me of someone I met on the lift this weekend. She asked where I was from. I said Boston. I returned the question and she said "The City". In my head I was thinking. "Barre? Montpelier? South Royalton?" Where else. New York. The BIG City. Classic.

Anyway on to restaurant reviews to stay on track.

The Common Man - Always tops my list. Great food. I haven't been under new management this year, but I'm looking forward to it. Prices are a little high, but I think reasonable given the quality and quantity of food. I.e. I didn't walk out thinking I paid too much for what I got. Usually the best menu in the Valley in my opinion. Had an outrageous cassoulet with duck confit there last year that blew my friggen mind. Blew it right off.

Chez Henri - I'd agree with previous posters. Great food. Pricey, but expect it going in and it shouldn't bother you. The food makes up for it. I'm curious how the new development is going to effect this and Mutha Stuffers as it will be using their parking lot to build. Dino at Mutha Stuffers has an "opinion sheet" he's asking people to sign. Almost like a petition asking for some parking allowance for their business.

Mutha Stuffers - My wife loves this place. She buys 2-3 sandwiches to stock up for the week. Dino's a great guy to talk to while he makes them and they're great quality. Have a beer while you wait for them.

Pine Tree Pub - I'm not sure why this location, whether it's the Mad Mexican or any other iteration, can't get things right. It's a decent location. Good size and the service is pretty good, but that's it. I had the Philly steak sandwich which was OK, but the fries were soggy. Hearing from others on different nights this wasn't an isolated incident. The menu is a bit sparse too. Not a lot of options. My wife did like her Tortellini Alfredo which actually was pretty good.

The Den - My go to place on any given weekend. Good beer selection and the burger is the best around. Though I plan on doing the taster's choice challenge against Bongiorno's given a prior post. Even given equal burgers though The Den will win out with their mac and cheese. Maybe the best Mac & Cheese I've ever had in a restaurant. I have no idea what other items on the menu taste like because I'm a loyal burger man.

Village Smoke House - I refer to this place as the Village Suck House. The food is pretty bad. Sorry. Nothing nice to say here except it's a decent place to shoot pool and play Buckhunter while kicking back a Long Trail.

Timbers - I haven't been in a year or two, but my experience when I went was good. I spend so much time on the mountain sometimes I just want to get away from it. Nothing against the restaurant. A bit pricey. As someone else pointed out though it's a ski lodge so what can you expect. If you're staying there it's a great atmosphere and the food is good.

Pitcher Inn - High end, white table clothes, decant your wine. No 2 buck Chuck to be found on their wine list. That being said the food is outstanding. Well worth the price. The wait staff is friendly and not pretentious. If you have a special occasion go there. You won't be disappointed, but make a reservation. For some reason they have trouble coping with walk ins. I've walked in to it empty and tried to get a table and they turned us away. Probably because it was me. Who can blame them.

The Warren Store - Definitely pure Vermont. If you have 40 minutes to spare and $30 to spend for a sandwich go there. The sandwiches are delicious, but apart from the old Littlest Donut Shop I have never seen a slower sandwich made in my life. Perhaps it's just quality craftsmanship and making sure every piece of lettuce is exactly in its place, but don't expect to walk in and walk out.

Paradise Deli - Make sure you wear your ski boots in. I'm pretty sure they allow it. Best steak and cheese. Soups are good too. My wife harbors long grudges if I don't come home with a Paradise Bar and I'm pretty sure they put pure Columbian cocaine in their deviled eggs.

CRP - Let's not forget the CRP. Pretty good bar food. The jerk chicken wings are great. Not sure about the move to Irish Nachos with potato chips instead of standard nachos. Every ski bar needs good nachos. They haven't figured that out since opening. Keep trying. The rest of the food is pretty good though. Just tossing this out there but how about switching out the rental shop with the current CRP location? So put the rental place in the dungeon by the boot room and move the bar to the nice, large, open, high ceiling room with a view of the mountain. If for nostalgia sake you miss the cramped place you can have someone move that support beam from the current CRP and put it some where right in the middle of things in the new location. Definitely bring the architect that designed that lodge back for the move. I think he could possibly reduce the size of the boot room while he's at it. I get agoraphobia when I walk in there.

The Grill Down Under (In the Sugarbush Inn) - Yikes. Walked in. Waited 7-8 minutes before anyone spoke to us. They said it would be a wait. Not how long. just a wait. So as the 6 of us sat there and wondered in amazement at how it could be a wait with 3-4 empty tables we grabbed a drink at the bar. And waited. And waited. My favorite moment was when I watched the cook in the open kitchen lay out 4 empty plates and then stare at them for about 2 minutes memorized at how shiny and white they were. My entire time in there was like an out of body experience. On to food. The menu looked ok with options. Ordered a soup and a burger. I got a 1/3 full cup of cold soup and no spoon. Nice start. Since our waiter was scarce I went out on the great spoon hunt. (can you get a hint of my opinion of this place yet?). Fortunately I was able to procure one from an overfed long haired leaping gnome. My 1/3 cup might have had a chance if warm. The burger was tiny with a huge bun. To their credit it was cooked perfectly. I have no idea apart from maybe channeling Julia Child herself how they got such a thin piece of meat to a perfect medium rare inside. The toppings? Lettuce and the two smallest tomato slices I have seen. i think they cut up a cherry tomato. One of the slices was the butt. Now I'm not particular. I eat the end piece at home, but I've never seen it served at a restaurant as garnish. The sides were 7 stale potato chips. I'm pretty sure I saw the "chef" open a Wise Fun Size snack pack to load our plates. The rest of the food around the table was mediocre at best. Sorry Grill Down Under.

The Big Picture - Haven't been up this year yet, but hit it over the summer. Good food, good prices. Can't really say anything else. Nice breakfast there as well.

The Hyde Away - Nice cozy atmosphere. Good hearty foods. The prices and quantity are all right on par. This place single-handedly changed my opinion on meatloaf. If you don't order it when you go it's like hitting on a 20 at a blackjack table. Anyone who doesn't go straight to the meatloaf would have a tough time beating Mike Tyson at Trivial Pursuit. Enough said.

Sorry no grading used. Enjoy. I'm off to eat a horrible Boston steak. I don't know what it is. We just can't get it right here. I've tried yelling at. I've tried punching it. I've even tried burying it. For some reason we just don't know how to cook as good a steak as the City. Wonder who the Pats will play next week. Cheers.

freeheel_skier
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
^^^^^^Best Review Ever!!!! I laughed, I cried.......great job!

MorningWoods
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
+1 on that review. Hilarious. Also big fan of flatbreads. I do miss the salad bar at The Den.

djd66
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Mtn man,... That was one of your best posts evah! Tanks for the chuckle.

ski_resort_observer
01-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Turns out the smell at Terra Rosa was a broken sewage pipe.....all fixed.

random_ski_guy
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
thanks for the reviews Mtn Man. i found most of it handy, really. too bad about that boston steak, stick with the chowdah and go giants.

Pastime
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Mtn Man nailed it - love Pizza soul - Jason has been around a while and has always been good to my kids. He made pizza in Gate house and Valley House for years. Love the comment about the sewer pipe - I would hate to think that someone really thought it was cheese!

HowieT2
01-07-2012, 04:31 PM
That was so funny.

Jason made great pizza for years in the gh. fed my son more than i did.

The snow was nice today. Had a blast bombing sleeper.

I dont want to jinx us but things are looking up for next weekend. Keep dancing

HowieT2
01-07-2012, 04:36 PM
The food at the crp is great. Much better than pine tree. Wings are burgers are top notch.

teleo
01-08-2012, 08:40 AM
+1 on the pizza at pizza soul. And it's sooo convenient if you're in the village. If you go often, talk to Jason about a frequent pizza card. Buy 9 get the 10th free kind of deal.

noski
01-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Mtn man,... That was one of your best posts evah! Tanks for the chuckle. I lived in the Valley almost a year before I realized that The City and The Island didn't mean Burlington and Grand Isle. No lie.

win
01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I have only had good experiences at Terra Rosa. Used to enjoy Peter Lugers too. But we take credit cards at Timbers and charge "a bit" less. There actually are a number of good places to eat around the Valley and the more everyone supports all of them that deliver good food and good service the better everything will get here. Your constructive comments are valuable, so keep it up. I always appreciate receiving direct feedback (wsmith@sugarbush.com) and I am sure all the other restaurant owner do as well.

gostan
01-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Terra Rosso: 5 of us hit TR last Friday evening about 7:30 and found the place pretty packed as they had just sat a party of 20+. Good food, decent portions and good service made this a place that we will return to. Expect to pay $20-$30 per person unless opting for the tasty thin pizza.

Common Man: I dropped in a few weeks ago and had a nice martini and an even nicer tasting delicious steak dinner at the bar. Expensive, but this has always been a place that I have enjoyed over the years, and, this definitely holds true under the new owners.

The Den: Buger..Burger...Burger. The old Den used to be packed to the rafters with families, couples and singles. I feel bad for the locals working here because the parking lot is pretty empty every time I drive by. A revamp of the menu with more specials is necessary to bring folks back to this Waitsfield eatery.

mattlucas
01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Terra Rosso: 5 of us hit TR last Friday evening about 7:30 and found the place pretty packed as they had just sat a party of 20+. Good food, decent portions and good service made this a place that we will return to. Expect to pay $20-$30 per person unless opting for the tasty thin pizza.

Common Man: I dropped in a few weeks ago and had a nice martini and an even nicer tasting delicious steak dinner at the bar. Expensive, but this has always been a place that I have enjoyed over the years, and, this definitely holds true under the new owners.

The Den: Buger..Burger...Burger. The old Den used to be packed to the rafters with families, couples and singles. I feel bad for the locals working here because the parking lot is pretty empty every time I drive by. A revamp of the menu with more specials is necessary to bring folks back to this Waitsfield eatery.

I've tried to keep my posts here positive or at least constructive (see my Village Double thread!) but I can't say anything positive about the Den. I've been thrice to Ake's. Once for lunch it was pretty good. I had a turkey wrap thing.

The second and third times for dinner they barely wanted to seat or look at my party. Why? I don't know. We were just there to hand them money for burgers and beer. Both times, the only hot sauce was tabasco and they only have yellow mustard.

That's just inexcusable. Yellow Mustard? YELLOW MUSTARD? Only one restaurant would dare give me yellow mustard.

Seriously though. lame service. bad condiments. There are too many places to be serving up a second tier burger, and they should try harder.

VILLAGE DOUBLE
VILLAGE DOUBLE
VILLAGE DOUBLE
VILLAGE DOUBLE
VILLAGE DOUBLE

TRWstock
01-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Agree with everyone's responses. Great Thread. I am surprised more people haven't commented about "Mint" on Bridge Street. I know vegetarian food isn't wildly popular, and I am definitely a big meat eater, but honestly, the food here is ridiculously good - a refreshing change of pace; and for those that are afraid that they wont get enough protein - the 'bowls' with the rice, tempeh, beans, and salsa is major awesome. People, give it a try - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.... oh, and the desserts are insane (in a good way) :-)

Hawk
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Mint got knock out in the flood. I think they only got back up recently. Noski?????

noski
01-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Agree with everyone's responses. Great Thread. I am surprised more people haven't commented about "Mint" on Bridge Street. I know vegetarian food isn't wildly popular, and I am definitely a big meat eater, but honestly, the food here is ridiculously good - a refreshing change of pace; and for those that are afraid that they wont get enough protein - the 'bowls' with the rice, tempeh, beans, and salsa is major awesome. People, give it a try - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.... oh, and the desserts are insane (in a good way) :-)

this, this this. Yes, just reopened on 12/29 and the space looks great, much better flow (no pun, of course). They serve Lunch Weds-Sun and Dinner Fri-Sun. Go - they really need us right now.

mattlucas
01-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion to check out Tracks.

I put first tracks over the Roxbury gap and made it at 5 to 9pm yesterday. The atmosphere was great if a hair bright. No real complaints at all though. The space was clean and polished, and the food and drinks didn't disappoint at all. It isn't cheap, but I'm glad to have another option driving up. Actually, to say that the burger didn't disappoint might be an understatement. It's actually a terrific piece of meat, grass fed Niman beef. Really herby, full of flavor. Lawsons and more on tap. I'm going back to the Common Man tonight though, too good to stay away especially with a friends birthday to celebrate.

mattlucas
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
I made it to Pizza Soul the other night. Grade: B++

Decent value, not a long wait. I grade pizza on a pretty tough scale, but it was enjoyable and I would definitely order again.

Common Man Take 2: Grade A

Michelle was a great server, and the wine was just as appealing. Nice dishes all around. We had duck breast, chicken, and a pork chop present. I particularly liked the Sea Bass, but the beef carpaccio app was another standout. This meal wasn't cheap but it made a birthday dinner very special. They might have overcharged my card ("complicated" math, and the bill was split three ways). I'll have to call them about that and point them to these reviews or commence a boycott. Kidding, of course.

mattlucas
01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
still up for 11-12 re-reviews:

Timbers
Purple Moon
Terra Rosa
Local Folk
Slide Brook
Pitcher Inn (proper)
Mutha Stuffas

Pastime
01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Mutha Stuffas A+ - get the Baba, Dino has the same deal as Pizza Soul. Your 10th sandwich is free.

ducky
01-26-2012, 08:14 AM
What's wrong with yellow mustard?