PDA

View Full Version : 12/27 - 12/28 Storm - Current Conditions

Hawk
12-27-2011, 06:33 PM
So I think I will play optimist tonight. The current conditions at my place at 1700 ft just below Ducky, it's reading 38 degrees but it is now snowing and it also hailed earlier. Maybe a slight touch of R*#n at Mt Ellen when it started around 3. The NWS forcast changed from all rain to Sleet, snow and r*#n mix. Who knows it mught just keep improving. Ya I said it. ;-) I just have this feeling tonight that it's going to be Good tomorrow.

RopeTow
12-27-2011, 08:11 PM
The forecast for mount ellen, vermont at 4,083 ft:
Last updated at 322 pm est tue dec 27 2011

.tonight...summits obscured in clouds. Snow or rain until midnight...
Then rain likely or a chance of snow after midnight. Low around 24.
South winds 45 to 60 mph...becoming southwest and...decreasing to
35 to 50 mph after midnight.
.wednesday...summits in and out of clouds in the morning...then
becoming cloudy. A chance of snow showers. High around 24.
Temperatures falling to around 6 above in the afternoon. West winds
30 to 40 mph. Wind chill values as low as 22 below.
.wednesday night...wind chill values as low as 25 below.
.thursday...

Detailed temperature & wind data:

Date wed 12/28/11 thu 12/29/11
time (est) 19 22 01 04 07 10 13 16 19 22 01 04 07 10 13 16 19
temp (f) 31 36 37 29 25 19 12 7 4 2 0 2 0 4 7 11 16
wind dir s se sw sw w w w w nw nw nw nw nw w w w sw
wind spd (mph) 26 51 39 34 26 21 25 27 33 33 35 36 29 28 21 19 24
wind chl (f) 17 20 23 13 9 2 -8-16-21-24-28-25-26-20-14 -7 -2

HowieT2
12-27-2011, 10:08 PM
35 degrees and raining at 1500' now.

Hawk
12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
10:20 .... Pouring 36 Degrees :(

HowieT2
12-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Up to 38 now. Rain has let up though. Hopefully we see something decent on the back end of this.

Hawk
12-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Yup, didn't hear r*#n on my window after I went to bed. Woke up at 7am and the temp was 36 and it started snowing again. Right now it is snowing pretty hard and the ground is white again. Head out and will get back with a report later. Gonna keep trying the optimistic thing. ;-)

Brew Ski
12-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Hawk,

Jonesing for a ski report. Playing the role of new dad, won't be making turns too soon. Please let me know the skiing sucks and i'm not missing anything. OK, any skiing is always great and I'm totally missing it. Hopefully I can be up in a few weekends to crank some top to bottom over and over and finish the day with you and friends in the pub. Let it snow! Let it Snow! Let it Fricken Snow!!!!

Brewski
aka very tired new dad!

Tin Woodsman
12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Absolutely dumping at the base of LP and composite radar shows deep banding in a classic upslope signature with possible enhancement from Lake Champlain. Perfect wind direction and set up for the SB/MRG area. Whatever the forecast is, I'll take the over, and then some.

random_ski_guy
12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Dude, that upslope - champlain fed - conveyor belt is looking sweet. I'm so pump. My weekend ahead may be decent after all. Sure looks alot better now than it did 12 hrs ago anyway.

HowieT2
12-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Absolutely dumping at the base of LP and composite radar shows deep banding in a classic upslope signature with possible enhancement from Lake Champlain. Perfect wind direction and set up for the SB/MRG area. Whatever the forecast is, I'll take the over, and then some.

Ha ha. I was just saying to Boze, that NWS always underestimates the upslope.

It is still coming down hard. Let it rock.

noski
12-28-2011, 03:49 PM
It's still just dumping down on the Valley floor. RT 100 snow covered, despite hearing the plow go by about 20 mins ago.

mikec13
12-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Skiing today was a very pleasant surprise! Went with low expectations and we had a great time. Still a little scratchy in areas but overall was very nice. Tomorrow should be even better still!

HowieT2
12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I cleared the deck, took a walk for about 45 minutes and returned to another inch.

Hawk
12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
OK people. I thought the optimistic thing wasn't gonna work. Boy was I wrong. This is how it wnet today.
Hit the mountain at 10 thinking "it could be OK maybe". It was snowing pretty good since 8ish. There was about 2 to 3 inches at that time and things were skiing pretty good. Jester, Deathspout and lower organgrinder were good on the edges but upper organgrinder was still challenging. By noon it was just dumping and things got continuously better. Even the edges of Upper organgrinder were good. By 2 there was about 8 to maybe 10 inches I would say. It became a complete poach fest. Spills, ripcord, Domino and other low angle favors were all skied heavily. When I left castlerock at 4:30 people were coming in and saying that tracks in places were being filled in. Right now as I type it is still snowing really hard. Tomorrows going to be good. :-) Oh and did I just hear that there is going to be another storm on Friday?????

noski
12-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I was stunned at how much more snow is at the top of Ctr. Fayston Rd than was in the Valley. You guys are going to ski yourselves silly tomorrow...

random_ski_guy
12-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Hawk, so they dropped the rope on spills, rip, domino and others? that is amazing news...not sure why the SB marketing team didnt file a snow report this evening spreading the good word.

djd66
12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Ropes never came down,... Like he said, it was a poach fest. It was totally puking all afternoon,... Well over a foot on the ground and it is still coming down. My wife may have to watch the kids all morning tomorrow and I have a big "conference call" @ 730. Things have changed for sure,... All the bad juju is gone.

Tin Woodsman
12-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Given how radar is looking, I wouldn't be surprised if the early season natural faves like Spillsville, Domino, and upper Bravo are officially open tomorrow. Maybe even Paradise if it keeps coming. The season has officially started.

shadyjay
12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
For those who venture into the woods, be advised of the following, from the Sugarbush Off-Trail Policy, located at http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/winter-trail-use-policy#Winter-Off-Trail-Policy:

Enter and exit only from marked open trails. You should be an expert skier/snowboarder. Do not ski/ride alone. Unmarked obstacles exist throughout.” “Caution: If you ski/ride in areas other than open and designated trails, you are voluntarily accepting additional responsibility for injury or death. When you enter areas between or outside designated trails, you have entered the unknown. These areas are not maintained or patrolled. You are assuming risks that may include getting lost or suffering other harm or injury.”

Also, I would recommend not skiing/riding any closed terrain. There is NO base on most of that terrain, and in fact most of it was bare ground just over 24 hours ago. It may look good on the top but the base just isn't there yet. Believe me, we are all anxious to ski/ride on additional terrain. It'll come.

Be safe out there, and have fun!

Just a little friendly advice from your lifty (and now snowmaker) friend!

LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW

Treeskier
12-28-2011, 06:32 PM
10 to 12 new in driveway @ 6:45pm

Still dumping.

noski
12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
10 to 12 new in driveway @ 6:45pm

Still dumping.
This.
Just got a call for 18 stranded people not able to make it up Ctr Fayston Rd. Should have trucked them up in groups of 4... But referred them to a local inn.

Tin Woodsman
12-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Radar still showing deep green returns (generally indicative of snowfall rates >=1" per hr) with moisture constantly backfilling on the edge of the radar range into the St. Lawrence valley. Also, this is the type of system where you'd expect to see a pretty significant gradient in accumulations between the top of the Green Mtn spine and places East. If there's 10-12" in Treeskier's driveway at 6:45 PM, that likely means closer to 14-18" in the upper elevations.

With no end in sight per radar, I shudder to think what that means by first chair tomorrow. Keep in mind that this is real blower stuff, and the wind will move it around pretty good, so settling and wind deposition will make it look a lot thinner in spots.....but then again a lot deeper than others. With the prevailing NW winds, me thinks Paradise could be the call tomorrow if they drop the rope.

Edit: As at 8:15, radar indicating the party has maybe 30-45 minutes left. Still should be pretty fun and an unexpected surprise come tomorrow morning.

HowieT2
12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
For those who venture into the woods, be advised of the following, from the Sugarbush Off-Trail Policy, located at http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/winter-trail-use-policy#Winter-Off-Trail-Policy:

Also, I would recommend not skiing/riding any closed terrain. There is NO base on most of that terrain, and in fact most of it was bare ground just over 24 hours ago. It may look good on the top but the base just isn't there yet. Believe me, we are all anxious to ski/ride on additional terrain. It'll come.

Be safe out there, and have fun!

Just a little friendly advice from your lifty (and now snowmaker) friend!

LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW

Yeah yeah yeah....seriously, is there any terrain we can reasonably expect to open tomorrow morning?

shadyjay
12-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Facebook page says patrol was bootpacking today on some trails.

Nothing confirmed, but footpacking by Patrol was happening and things are filling in fast.

Tin Woodsman
12-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Facebook page says patrol was bootpacking today on some trails.
On past practice, that almost certainly means Spillsville will open tomorrow - they've done that pretty often on that trail. Not sure of others - maybe upper Bravo above the headwall? Dare we hope for Black Diamond?

HowieT2
12-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I was stunned at how much more snow is at the top of Ctr. Fayston Rd than was in the Valley. You guys are going to ski yourselves silly tomorrow...

Skiing? Who's skiing? We're going to Ben & Jerry's tomorrow morning.

Treeskier
12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Mad River threatening to open tomorrow.

gostan
12-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Please post some pics of the new on MT snow for those of us who are still in the non-white covered lowlands.

noski
12-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Please post some pics of the new on MT snow for those of us who are still in the non-white covered lowlands.
GoStan, check the webcams for all the best shots (except face shots, of course!).... www.madrivervalley.com/webcam

Cheers, all!

gostan
12-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Susan, thx, but we really need some webcams higher up on the slopes (like top of Allyn's Lodge). An investment in those would definitely help to bring new visitors to MRV. Not looking to see face shots, just trail coverage & "ya hoos"!

noski
12-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Susan, thx, but we really need some webcams higher up on the slopes (like top of Allyn's Lodge). An investment in those would definitely help to bring new visitors to MRV. Not looking to see face shots, just trail coverage & "ya hoos"!

I couldn't agree more! People beg us for it all the time. It's Win's call.

random_ski_guy
12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah, a cam on Allyn's would be awesome and serve the mtn well as its always a beautiful view. It would also be nice if the cam worked with the ipad.

itsallaboutpow
12-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Yup .. great idea !!!

HowieT2
12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Freshies on birdland twice, murphys, ripcord thrice, paradise, paradise woods, domino twice, Not to mention ripping down jester. Not a bad day.

Processing video now.

itsallaboutpow
12-29-2011, 10:59 PM
No question about it .. today was a POWDER Day

http://youtu.be/kwdeMESBcw8

ReefBum
12-30-2011, 07:54 AM
No question about it .. today was a POWDER Day

http://youtu.be/kwdeMESBcw8That is a beautiful thing! Of course I leave town right before the storm but I am hoping the natural snow trails hold up for next weekend. Castlerock should be fun today for all of you hikers.

gostan
12-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Look'n good in the pwdah! Treeskier is not chatting because he is having way too much fun skiing!

HowieT2
12-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Happy new year. Heres some pov from 12-29 that boze quickly threw together while we celebrated last night. Got some more editing to do and the copyright police blocked the sountrack. So bring your own tunes while we work the glitches out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUchWdzrRqc

HowieT2
12-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Nothing like a foot of pow pow to shut everyone up.

Re edited video.

http://youtu.be/DjlS6iXyVYQ

win
12-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Happy New Year!

boze
01-02-2012, 01:30 AM
A virtual toast to the Sugarbush crew, Thanks and Happy 2012.
Fond memories of 2011, always been a fan of the terrain - even way before I became familiar with 'upslope' and what it can deliver!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A378g4-tbLU