PDA

View Full Version : Helloooooo, anyone home??

arc1
12-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Yesterday pretty much every gun on the hill blew wet. Today, the results are as you'd expect. Stuff that skied well(lower og) froze up.
What gives, and don't blame the temp, this does not happen anywhere else?
I'm kinda disgusted.

djd66
12-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I have to agree,... there was a lot of "frozen granular" out there. What was up with lower Jester/grinder - did they just decide to spray water on the trail?

itsallaboutpow
12-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I really hate to be negative .. so I won't ..

Pastime
12-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Long time lurker on this site and a friend of Arc 1. He is right on - the snow making has been terrible. It was still terrible today. Are they trying to bury the 10 foot piles of ice with...... I saw the post the other day that it was difficult to make snow because it was 28. What were they doing today? The new guns sure are quiet - because there is no air coming out of them!

Did anyone notice that it is a ghost town. Do you think it is the $88 ticket prices for little terrain. I guess a reply from the mountain would be E ticket. Would you buy an E ticket 48 hours in advance - ski Thursday on 2 more trails. Read the snow report - the whales of snow are fun - maybe if you are a penguin!

I guess after reading this for a number of years I finally had to say something. I hope it snows soon so I can enjoy my winter. Happy skiing and happy 2012!

Hawk
12-27-2011, 09:13 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. LOL. ;-) I guess I could just think of it as highly "Technical" skiing. That's what our guide at Cham called it when we skied the solid ice of the Glacier. We are honing our skills for the season.

WWF-VT
12-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I avoided LP yesterday and had a fine day at Mt Ellen

itsallaboutpow
12-27-2011, 10:28 AM
So things were certainly not "terrible" on Monday (LP) , but you did have to pick and choose :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D7WIEdeL14

Hawk
12-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Not bad dude. That's what we need is more Vid, Pics and good Karma.

win
12-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Here is what happened on Organgrinder the night before last. A warm air bubble came in for a brief period of time and temperatures at LP rose to 36 degrees for a period of time. Snowmakers weren't able to react quickly enough to shut down the guns and they put out really wet stuff for awhile. This is rare but does happen. We turned the guns back on organgrinder yesterday and I just skied it after Bravo came off of windhold this afternoon. Other than the the bottom area, it skied well. We will let it sit for a day after the rain and whatever tonight and it will groom in well for Thursday. I too was very disappointed and irritated until I understood what happened.

Fortunately, there are a lot of guests other than some of you who seem to be enjoying themselves. We do have some snowmaking spots left, so if any of your would like to join the crew let us know. The benefits are good.

random_ski_guy
12-27-2011, 06:12 PM
thanks for the explanation win.

between semesters in college i once worked the 12hr night shift blowing snow for a ski area in western mass. i absolutely loved it. i loved the responsibility of making copious amounts of great snow and to distribute that snow efficiently. someday i might be only 60yr who retires the corporate world early to the night shift blowing snow again. i almost like it more than skiing which is more than odd.

skierdon
12-27-2011, 08:56 PM
fwiw- I've read elsewhere that other mountains got caught by the quick warmup and ended up with some icy trails.

Strat
12-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Not typically one to complain re: snowmaking but there was a gun right near the edge of the roped off area under the first 100 ft of the North Ridge chair at Mt. Ellen today that was blowing very wet stuff, which would freeze on contact with goggles, helmets, etc. because of the very cold temps. Made getting to the lift quite difficult.

muddy_hollow
12-30-2011, 03:08 PM
I skied North today and thought it was pretty awesome. So the guns down lower were going like crazy but getting frosted over isn't new. Should have been skiing Summit where the pow was nice.

Totally getting a kick out of the armchair snow makers on this thread. I suspect they're the same goons who ski the 6" wide strip of powder on the side knocking down leaves as they go because it's soooooo good. :)