PDA

View Full Version : Ullr - Bah Humbug!

klop
12-18-2011, 11:40 AM
OK, enough of this Ullr talk. What has Ullr done for me lately? Nothing. Like any good American in the 21st century, if I didn't get what I wanted immediately I get mad and change tactics. Also like any good American I went to the internet. Here's what I found:

There is no historical evidence that Ullr is the God of Snow or Skiing. That's right folks - it was right there in Wikipedia so it must be true. Ullr has been happily accepting our dancing, supplication, sacrificed old Harts, whatever and couldn't produce any more snow than those new snow guns. Instead I found Chione, a much more interesting deity. A daughter of Boreas, god of the north-wind, and Oreithyia, the lady of mountain gales. Chione was the Greek goddess of snow. Lots of sex and betrayal in her past - including a one night stand with Poseidon. Now there's someone worthy of our homage. Plus her name is easier to pronounce. There must be a society of secret Chione worship at Sugarbush because I've seen a shrine to her in a tree half way up Heaven's Gate - people have left beads and assorted other sacrifices to her. Let's hope it works. I'm done with Ullr at any rate.