PDA

View Full Version : December 2011 Sugarbush Trail Conditions

beelze
12-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Would there be interest in making a sticky thread where people can report the conditions of their day on the mountain? Ie, 3/18, ME groomers decent, Upper FIS sketchy about 4" new windblown. More or less a place to report real mountain conditions and what was good (and maybe what was not) all in one place. Besides being helpful to non-locals, it is nice to have a feel for the areas which might be better skipped to make best use of your time (and perhaps avoid injury or other harrowing experience!)

HowieT2
12-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Iirc under the previous format there was a separate section for trip reports. under the new regime, they would just go here.

Tin Woodsman
12-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Would there be interest in making a sticky thread where people can report the conditions of their day on the mountain? Ie, 3/18, ME groomers decent, Upper FIS sketchy about 4" new windblown. More or less a place to report real mountain conditions and what was good (and maybe what was not) all in one place. Besides being helpful to non-locals, it is nice to have a feel for the areas which might be better skipped to make best use of your time (and perhaps avoid injury or other harrowing experience!)

I like this idea. Perhaps instead of having one mega-thread for the season, we do it month by month to start with and see if that keeps it somewhat organized.

Hawk
12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
We can give it a shot but it is very hard to actually accomplish what you are looking for on forums. There are so many different preceptions of what the conditions are and I am sure that when people post, there will be a fair amount of disagreement no matter what the report is. Anyway if people stay mellow and look at it as peoples opinions and not the rule then it will be fine.

beelze
12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Understood. I was viewing it from a purely informational standpoint and would hope others would do the same. As you note, one man's great can be anothers mediocre. Personally, I try to ask around the parking lot but that can be pretty hit or miss. I would say the more basic the info the better as it really is just meant to supplement the mountain report given by Sugarbush as well provide a little history to the current conditions - perhaps "mountain/trail reports" might encourage just the facts, m'am.

jwt
12-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Identification as an 'expert, intermediate, or beginner' might help evaluate the thread as well.

Even adding descriptions 'like bumps,tight trees, or corduroy cruising' lends its own weight to the writers comments.

For instance, when there is no woods skiing, I stick as close to the edge as possible for a number of reasons, the main one being better snow and more challenge ( as well as less people). I get softer snow no matter what the majority of the trail skis, so I'd be commenting on the soft bumps while 95% of skiers might be screeching on "Northeastern pack pow' ( blue ice with occasional snow patches).

Those videos the 'Bush does for snow reports are as close as we'll get to the real deal for most people.

I suspect there are all three categories of skiers on this forum but the 10-20 regular posters are probably experts if not close, and they represent maybe 30% of the lurkers while the other 3000 who read this may fall in other categories.

Hard to fake video proof - not that this resort would risk it's good relationship with it's core customers on trumped up reports. In the 80's there was that cocaine ad called the ' Big Lie' which mirrored K-Marts reports at the time. Sugarbush hasn't fallen for the short term cash builder, thank the Lord.

Lot's of us have video cameras - post 'em! along with your trail report!

beelze
12-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Another reason for doing so is that the snow really can be significantly different across the mountain(s). I've had great days of North Lynx and crap off Bravo and vice versa. As jwt notes, bumps can appear where no were before - potential great news or a nightmare glad to be known. So lets see how it goes... I guess first we need a bunch more snow.

RopeTow
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Today, Wed Dec 28, would be a good day for a little first hand reporting. We've had a freeze thaw cycle, including a little liquid precip, and temps are heading back down. Is there anything edgeable left on the mountain or is it all frozen up? There's some flurries down in the valley, how hard is it coming down up top? What's up with Ripcord and Organgrinder? Please report if you've already taken a few spins.

HowieT2
12-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Today, Wed Dec 28, would be a good day for a little first hand reporting. We've had a freeze thaw cycle, including a little liquid precip, and temps are heading back down. Is there anything edgeable left on the mountain or is it all frozen up? There's some flurries down in the valley, how hard is it coming down up top? What's up with Ripcord and Organgrinder? Please report if you've already taken a few spins.

My son just called from mt ellen and said it is pretty good. Dumping and fresh snow on the trails.

HowieT2
12-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Today was ok.

teleo
12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Now this is one of the things I love about SB.
Those truly looking to escape the snow guns are welcome to ski/ride Castlerock's trails beginning Friday morning, though it's hiking access, only.

If I knew I could avoid the holiday crowds on the rock, I would've been up there. Someone let me know how the rock is tomorrow.