PDA

View Full Version : New Cell Phone Tower

TRWstock
12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I couldn't help but notice yesterday when going up the Bravo Lift, what appears to be a very large cell phone tower positioned on the flank of Lynx Peak above the Old Village, somewhere above the "Village Run" trail, near that giant (Malibu Barbie) house that has the highest elevation of the homes in that development. I am somewhat surprised at how visible and large the cell phone tower is, but then again - I guess I can't complain too much - my phone service seems to be better. I guess I am just left wondering.. did it have to be placed here? Anyone else notice this? Is this a Verizon tower?

itsallaboutpow
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I also was quite surprised how "awkward" it looks, but if it extends coverage I guess we'll have to deal with it.

Hawk
12-05-2011, 08:05 AM
It's been there since the summer so I guess that it wasn't that noticable. ;-) Win had mentioned that the temp tower in the 22 acre lot was going away and a new tower would be installed. Not sure what the service is. I currently have Verizon and it works at the mountain. The condo owners around the base recieved an information package complete with site palns from the town of Warren informing us of the public meeting. I guess I didn't read it that closely to see which provider it was. ;-) I was actually happy that the tower went in as it should give us some coverage in slide brook as well as around the mountain. It will make it possible to call the ski patrol direct on serious injurys and also help with searches for "lost" skiers. I guess I am not one that takes exception to these types of things.

teleo
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
If I recall correctly from the info packet, Verizon put the tower in last summer, and then there was another one for AT&T to add antennaes to it in the fall. Not sure if AT&T's are in place yet. I don't like the sight of it, but Verizon reception is better.

win
12-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't like it either, but all of our guests have been shouting for better coverage for years. We didn't let them put in a "fake tree" which would have looked far worse.

shadyjay
12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I worked on cell phone towers for about 8 years. While I am not a fan of them in plain view, I am glad that my service has improved dramatically. Four years ago, I had renewed my Verizon contract, then shortly later, started working at the mountain, which had no Verizon coverage. By the end of the year, the banner headline on sugarbush.com was "Verizon Now Works at the Mountain" or something like that. Earlier this year, the Mt Ellen tower was activated and now I have cell service in downtown Waitsfield.

This new tower was definitely put in this year, during the summer I believe. I noticed it one day from the golf course.

ducky
12-06-2011, 07:54 AM
I live on the hill below the tower and have ATT. Service is not better, it is worse. Hopefully, it is because ATT service is not yet connected - anyone know for sure? I used to have 4 bars on the Heaven's Gate chair, now 1-2. I used to hold a call all the way down German Flats Rd and into Waitsfield. Not any more. The crews that installed the tower were fairly conscientious and cleaned up the site well, however someone has since driven vehicles up there and torn up the trail. Supposedly, the reason it is right on the ridge was because of a neighbor who lives up high that didn't want it so close to his house. Watch out what you wish for as it would have been much better concealed that it is now. I consider it an eyesore and poorly planned, in an otherwise beautiful outdoor area and not a good trade off for "better" reception. Not sure I agree with Win on the tree option - the ones I've seen elsewhere are not bad.

One other point, while we're discussing communication. When in the base area, Sugarbush wants me to login to their wifi each time I use my phone with my email address. Wish it were set so once I had logged in, subsequent logins would not be necessary and it recognized my mobile device. Also, if you are at Valley House, there seems to be a different SB network that demands $10/day or $50/week. I'm guessing to foil the condo owners from free internet. Better to leave my phone set to no wifi/3G than deal with the login screen.

Most of the reason I enjoy (ed) having good reception is that it allowed/s me to work while skiing here. If I can speak with a client or employee and they don't know I'm actually in Paradise Woods, this is a good thing. Another reason is being able to use the phone's gps when doing a little side-country hike or skin.

Hawk
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
With all due respect, what do you call all the trails, lifts, roads, houses, antenea's, etc. that are scattered about the Mountains of Sugarbush? Why is this new tower an eye sore and not everything else? I also live right below the tower in the village and I didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out to me. The benefit of communication far outways the impact to the view in my opinion. I can't wait until they install the windmills. ;-)

Hrdstrt
12-06-2011, 09:29 AM
One other point, while we're discussing communication. When in the base area, Sugarbush wants me to login to their wifi each time I use my phone with my email address. Wish it were set so once I had logged in, subsequent logins would not be necessary and it recognized my mobile device. Also, if you are at Valley House, there seems to be a different SB network that demands $10/day or $50/week. I'm guessing to foil the condo owners from free internet. Better to leave my phone set to no wifi/3G than deal with the login screen.

I believe I read somewhere that the paid wifi has some encryption something or other(above my head). Allowing folks that desire a more secure connection, to have one. Therefore it's a pay for service versus free.

HowieT2
12-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I live on the hill below the tower and have ATT. Service is not better, it is worse. Hopefully, it is because ATT service is not yet connected - anyone know for sure? I used to have 4 bars on the Heaven's Gate chair, now 1-2. I used to hold a call all the way down German Flats Rd and into Waitsfield. Not any more. The crews that installed the tower were fairly conscientious and cleaned up the site well, however someone has since driven vehicles up there and torn up the trail. Supposedly, the reason it is right on the ridge was because of a neighbor who lives up high that didn't want it so close to his house. Watch out what you wish for as it would have been much better concealed that it is now. I consider it an eyesore and poorly planned, in an otherwise beautiful outdoor area and not a good trade off for "better" reception. Not sure I agree with Win on the tree option - the ones I've seen elsewhere are not bad.

Most of the reason I enjoy (ed) having good reception is that it allowed/s me to work while skiing here. If I can speak with a client or employee and they don't know I'm actually in Paradise Woods, this is a good thing. Another reason is being able to use the phone's gps when doing a little side-country hike or skin.

Have to agree about the wifi login situation. it is extremely annoying.

ducky
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Hawk, my objection is to it being on the ridgeline. Had it been installed in the corner of Village Run trail like originally planned, about 200' downslope, you and I would never see it. It sticks out into the skyline above the trees from both the base area/Village Rd and from German Flats Rd. As there is no benefit yet to communication (at least with ATT - it's actually worse), it is hard to say it is worth anything. I'm hoping ATT have not installed their antennae yet and things wil improve.

Hopefully, we never see a windmill in the Valley. My parents signed up to have one on their farm, for which they get paid. It is similar in size to the proposed ones on the Northfield Ridge - about 450' high. In hindsight they wish they'd never done it as the thing can be heard from a half mile away and the ground underneath is littered with dead birds.

Tin Woodsman
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Of course the other option is to continue spewing CO2 into the atmosphere, slowly strangling the sport we all love.

Given that those windmills would be producing max power during those cold, windy frontal passages when SB's snowmaking efforts are hamstrung by the limiations of the GMP grid, there would seem to be the possibility of benefits as well.

Pick your poison.

Hawk
12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
The thing is Ducky that I am not one of those people that get all hung up about the aesthetic. I see the tower and think that it really doesn't impact me that much. It's just not that big a deal up there in the distance. If you choose to focus on the tower and not everything else around you then the tower is the focus. Try focusing on everything else. ;-)

As for windmills, I am a big proponent. If you build one you A) can limit the impact of the power company on the ski area B) create cheaper power C) Reduce the consumption of fossil fuels and D) have control of power even when the power goes out.

Again, I cannot diminish the value of all this by just saying it looks ugly and spoils my view. If that was my point of view I would also be pissed that they cut trails and installed lifts on the Monroe skyline. Since the ski area exists, isn't it just a little hypocritical to call out just the tower?
This is just debate and not an attack. I just feel that I have to add this because some people in here get all jiggy when you question their opinion. OK. ;-)

ducky
12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Hawk, thanks. As you can tell by my 14 posts ever, I'm new to this - no offense intended in any way. I will get used to the tower. One trade-off of having trails and lifts cut into a mountain is that it provides an opportunity for otherwise non-outdoors people to get outdoors and possibly even become environmental stewards through their experience. A bit like Costa Rica's ecotourist dollars saving their rainforest.

Windmills yes, but when the technology is improved (noise) and the energy is not from heavily subsidized green programs. The flip side is that big oil is also subsidized and somehow politicians are even pushing "clean" coal these days. An imperfect world. Good news is that it is cold outside with snow in the forecast. Better skiing and riding soon.

On another topic, has anyone noticed the rocks on the left (south) side of the Church appear to be a different brownish color than before as if there was a slide and new material exposed? This would be where you cut across the face after entering the traditional route on the north side ledge. Wondering if there's a big new rock pile at the bottom and if so, is the material stable. It is steep in there.

ThinkSno
12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
In hindsight they wish they'd never done it as the thing can be heard from a half mile away and the ground underneath is littered with dead birds.

Birds have the ability to fly. If they can't fly away from a rather large object hurtling towards them, its just more evidence of evolution & survival of the fittest.

Hawk
12-07-2011, 10:09 AM
It's like standing there in Paradise woods and then all of a sudden a skier skis by and right into a tree. True story.....he got up and said "who put that there" and then skied off. LOL

Hawk
12-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I have not been up there yet to see the tower close up. Where exactly is the tower? Is it up in the woods above village run or is it on the maintenence road going from the corner of Village Run into Slidebrook?

madhavok
12-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Yee Haw.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4709751212_d090996833.jpg

skiladi
12-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I am not very tech savvy but I have used my laptop at Timbers and I just hit the icon at the bottom to search connections and it just connects me. No passwords or charges of any sort.

HowieT2
12-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I am not very tech savvy but I have used my laptop at Timbers and I just hit the icon at the bottom to search connections and it just connects me. No passwords or charges of any sort.

I think you're right IIRC. It's the gatehouse wifi network that has the annoying log in ritual.

Yard Sale
12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Some pesky oil dependant Bald Eagle must have kamakazied right into that poor turbine.

ducky
01-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Sorry to revive the thread but FYI...

ATT says they are scheduled to put their antenna on the tower in May 2012. Their service has been suffering since Verizon went live, though ok in the LP base area. Only one bar on lower Heaven's Gate chair, dropped calls on German Flats and 17, and minimal service at Mt Ellen base, GMX and North Ridge. Used to be all good there.

HowieT2
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Sorry to revive the thread but FYI...

ATT says they are scheduled to put their antenna on the tower in May 2012. Their service has been suffering since Verizon went live, though ok in the LP base area. Only one bar on lower Heaven's Gate chair, dropped calls on German Flats and 17, and minimal service at Mt Ellen base, GMX and North Ridge. Used to be all good there.

Any word on whether it's going to be 3G or 4g LTE???

jwt
01-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Used to love the MRV when no cell phones worked! Understand the convenience and the ease of communication, but boy , it was a huge bonus to drive off I89 a d finally "be on vacation".
Only thing worse that cell towers without branches ( at least those are green Win, like the lift towers) are wind towers,especially white ones.
Noise,eye pollution,and limited returns on power.

Whatever happened to wilderness adventure with just the Motorolas!?

Skiing was really pretty good yesterday,both mountains were good once it softened up, and the fact that da 'Bush lets anyone willing to travel on natural snow trails is just great.

thanks for letting the skiers/riders make the choice ( and risk).
This base will make a great b underpinning if we get the snow this week

random_ski_guy
01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I appreciate the enhanced cell coverage and look forward to more of it. I understand the romance of the cell phone "blackhole" for those looking to avoid work interference while in the MRV. However, now that cell service does so much more via the ipad, etc, I enjoy those benefits too. Plus, for me, being able to conduct a little work while on the mtn goes a long way.

HowieT2
01-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I appreciate the enhanced cell coverage and look forward to more of it. I understand the romance of the cell phone "blackhole" for those looking to avoid work interference while in the MRV. However, now that cell service does so much more via the ipad, etc, I enjoy those benefits too. Plus, for me, being able to conduct a little work while on the mtn goes a long way.

Couldnt agree more. If it wasnt for cell service i'd be stuck in the office instead of taking a phone call while on the mtn.

gostan
01-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Last season I was able to drive up from Boston on the spur of the early Friday morning moment and ski opening day at ME. If you recall we had about 8+ inches of fresh snow on top of all of the manmade stuff and it was a fabulous day of skiing. I had a business conference call planned for 11:30 & I would not have been able to ski without the ability to use my cell phone on the mountain by ducking into the lodge.

But, I will say that I do try to keep my cell phone usage to a real minimum by only taking essential calls. Most calls can wait, and there certainly appears to be an abundance of "where should we go for dinner" type calls on the lifts and elsewhere.