PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favorite ski resort in New England

win
11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I voted. Guess who my #2 is!

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/specials/ski_resort_ranking/

teleo
11-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Mad River Glen

Hawk
11-11-2011, 07:42 AM
It will be tough to beat SR and the Loaf in that market. They do a great job on the social media getting the word out to vote. But it is great to see Sugarbush right up there with them.

I'm with Teleo.

gostan
11-11-2011, 08:36 AM
It will be tough to beat SR and the Loaf in that market. They do a great job on the social media getting the word out to vote. But it is great to see Sugarbush right up there with them.

I'm with Teleo.SL will really be somebody to reckon with in the East when they finally install the new lift next year to service the Burnt Mountain woods/glades they have been opening east of King Pine. This year the Loaf is pushing the long needed new Skyline Chair (replacing the now infamous Spillway chairs). But on Sugarloaf Today they are BS that they are not even ranked in the top 10 in the East this year by Skiing Mag. Ratings are all advertising and do not really tell the full story, but it is good to see more folks recognizing SB. But, if too many recognize us, I may need to move back to the Loaf. No, I don't think so.

Hawk
11-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I know many poeple from both those places. It is really funny to hear them talk about their glades and glade skiing. Most of them really think that their's is better. I have skied both many times inside and out. They have no Idea. ;-)

gostan
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Hawk, as a 20 + year Sugarloafer - I fully concur. & Sunday River's glades are a joke. the trees are so thinned out that I could run a PC450 in between the trees from top to bottom of those reallly really long tree runs.

The real issue at SL is that it is just way too far a drive. And, when they get dumped, the mountain almost always closes because of the 40-80 MPH winds backlashing into the mountains in the West of Maine from the storms going out through the Bay of New Foundland. They supposedly paid an extra $1M on the new Skyline chair to allow it to run in windier conditions as the winds up the middle of the mountain are infamously ridiculous.

NorthLynx
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Killington is the self proclaimed Beast of the east. They also have 3k vertical feet of pure marketing fluff.
http://mountainvertical.com/biggest-skiing-in-new-england.html
The two gondolas also qualify them as a western ski resort :-D The 4 lane access road along with its urban sprawl and 35 MPH speed limit that people seem to ignore is also interesting. (last time I was there I was going 45 and still got
passed by about 5 cars!)

I have actually known people who have driven all the way to Jay to ski while they were staying in the MRV because they were unaware of Sugarbush.

Its dumping snow right now oddly enough. Well for a couple of seconds and then it stopped but it wasn't really
sticking

Hawk
11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Hawk, as a 20 + year Sugarloafer - I fully concur. & Sunday River's glades are a joke. the trees are so thinned out that I could run a PC450 in between the trees from top to bottom of those reallly really long tree runs.

The real issue at SL is that it is just way too far a drive. And, when they get dumped, the mountain almost always closes because of the 40-80 MPH winds backlashing into the mountains in the West of Maine from the storms going out through the Bay of New Foundland. They supposedly paid an extra $1M on the new Skyline chair to allow it to run in windier conditions as the winds up the middle of the mountain are infamously ridiculous.
I hear you Stan. The great Carrabasett valley wind funnel. ;-) It sure does howl up there.

win
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
We're top three. Keep the votes going.

ThinkSno
11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah, apparently you can vote over and over and over and over......

NorthLynx
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
You know the saying... Vote early and vote often. Ironic how mad river glen is ahead of Kmart at this time.

Brew Ski
11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
FYI...Boston.com has a great Sugarbush offer for $44 lift tickets right now. A great savings from ticket window price. Some Blackout days apply, but still a great deal.
Buy some for your friends. They won't visit on the blackout days anyway, nor do the rest of us want extra skiers on those particular blackout days.

Hawk
11-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Hmmmm, where did I hear this before??? I think that deal expired yesterday.