PDA

View Full Version : Message Board is DOA!

Hawk
11-03-2011, 07:09 AM
I can not believe how utterly borring the board has become. This used to be a community that shared ideas and opinions and that is the purpose Right?. This board should be a place that people share ideas, opinions and maybe a weather report or trip report. Now it seems to have run it's course and has just shut down. I strongly feel that the overly strong opinions of some, the snobbyness of others and the self-eliteness of a few have poisoned it for the general public. It has desended into a place to come and bitch about anything that is not perfect or Ideal in the opinion of the poster. This is not what it is about!

I miss the posting of Bubba, Davious, Lostone, etc. who at least had some personality and made things fun. Hell I even miss Barkbiter.

Ah, to hell with it. Nick just pull the plug! The f@#kin place is going nowhere.

Nick
11-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Where did they all go?

FWIW, when boards become larger there is always an element of having to deal with ridiculousness. I check in here probably daily but post every other day or so. I was hoping with some forum upgrades it would be more user friendly and allow new registrations once again in a way that would allow the community to grow. Seems like it's had almost the opposite effect.

If you want to PM me with any suggestions I'd be glad to listen.

And I am already in the planning stages of my own personal pilgramage to the MRV this year!

gostan
11-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Ski forums' are always pretty slow at this time of the year. Until the Mountain opens, there is little to talk about. And, when the mountain opens, then we are too busy skiing and riding to find the time to post. Even the larger populated Alpine Zone forum seems pretty dead because it is only November 3rd. Not much to talk about as far as ski trips, ski equipment, conditions or the like. I cannot yet post about the great ski conditions yet or the great on mountain food or how fabulous my new Bonafides ski......but come December all should change. I can always find the time to bitch and moan about something or the other.

Of course, there are forums like Epicski that are much more geared to equipment and western ski areas and trips, that seem to generate threads and responses from folks all over the country, even in the off season. But, here in MRV there is little to nothing to talk about for our far smaller demographical membership.

HowieT2
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Things are pretty quiet here. Not much to talk about this time of the year. The weather is boring looking for the next 10 days or so.

Hawk
11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Look at the postings in past years. By this time of year people were coming out of the wood work and posting like crazy. Now most of those people do not post at all any more. I would add that a couple of things led of this.

1)There was war last year when a certain group of people from an adult ski program went on the attack of a certain Ski school director over the direction of the ski school. Because of this several prominent posters got truned off and left.
2) There was the famous "you are posting in the wrong section" debate were people bashed the hell out of Lostone. He left and others that liked him were turn off.
3) There was the "We hate the Claybrookers because they cut the line" threads. I know several of those folks that stopped posting.
Shall I go on?

In general the last large group that left were the general causal posters that said, "this place is out of control" and stopped posting. I have heard this from many. Hell even the biggest insigators have left. The people that started all the sh*t.

Treeskier
11-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Boy do you need to go skiing. Get out behind the computer and ski. I'm skiing Kmart tomorrow if you want to catch up. Then up for the weekend.

Yard Sale
11-03-2011, 12:58 PM
You're right but, stop your belly aching Dude! Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?! Hell NO! And we're not giving up now. Not on my watch Pal. I won't give up until the last drop of bourbon is drained from my cold dead corpse.

It's too DAMNED early for anything to be declared DOA. You have to at least wait until the snow flies. Don't worry, once that happens it won't be long before someone will post some sweet photo of an "undisclosed location". Which would be awsome! (hint hint) I'd do it, but how many locations on Snowball do you think I can keep "undisclosed" if I were to post such tasty photos here? So, would it be too much to ask for some of you genuine powder whores to go out this fall and pick up a little digital camera to stick in a pocket of your fancy AT hydration pack next to your homemade trail mix and flask of Maker's Mark and maybe share with the rest of us slack jawed Joeys what livin' is really like?. Gone Skiing ain't walkin thru that door friend and neither is his camera. And all though it seems like he is, Atkinson can't be everywhere with his camera.

Or a maybe a lift will be on windhold or down for repairs and someone will have atleast 2 cents to share on the matter. Or maybe there'll be a spontaneous flair up of some sexy reforrestation banter (Woodsman). And ATKINSON! Have you taken care of those F%*#ing sharp stumps yet? Just kidding, John. You know I revere you as The Man like no other . . . except for maybe Egan Brutha . . . maybe those guys in that place at the bottom of the hill too. (Sure, alright, I'm fanny smooch'n. What of it? Don't like it, try kissing mine.)

Or Hawk, keep up the chatter about Sunday Rivers gaudy snow making capacity and you're sure to draw the ire of some rose colored goggle wearing kool aid drinking Sugarbush suck up who will question your loyalty to the 'Bush. Oh, wait a second. That's me. (Especially since Lost One went missing.) Yeah, Hawk, what's up with that Sunday River place and you anyway? You're always talking about how great it is and all your friends over there, and what great time your having. Don't you understand how hurtful that can be to those of us who aren't taking advantage of the early season turns? Jeez Dude. Actually, how bout some photos.

So shake it off and fly right mister. I don't want to hear any more of that DOA talk. Atleast not until the snow flies and there are some the potential for some serious issues to discuss or maybe just some garden variety snow boarder v. skiier social conflict. Cuz, let's face it, those snow boarders do make a mess of the bumps don't they?. HAHAHAHA Oh, man they crack me up the way they hop about and flop on the ground.

BTW, I heard a rumor that they're going to groom Castle Rock and keep it GROOMED! HAHAHAHA Chew on that zipper heads! I also heard that only those who reside in the big red barn will be allowed to ski there. Where is that mis-informed monkey with the revolver when you need him. This is right in his wheel house.

BTW, IMHO, all bans should be lifted. Ya know forgive and forget. Call me crazy, but I think all tissues should be happy tissues not sad tissues. No great music nor powerful pieces of art have been made of a mild day. Let the rabble rousers back in! They probably won't come back, but still . . . Worst case scenario, if they do, ban 'em again. HAHAHAHAHA Otherwise, If these demands aren't met (and this is no idle threat), get ready for "Occupy SKIMRV" . . . ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA . . . Unlike those other "Occupies" camping out across the country our message is clear. In addition to having our student loans paid off we want reinstatement of banned skimrv members. Also the government should pick up the tab for our season passes this year. Oh, and we want free tacos mid week in Gatehouse . . . oh, and uh, . . . we want Funyions. Yeah Dude! We want Funyions. Funyions man, yeah!

Bottom line: It's only November, Hawk. Chillax with that DOA business. You know better than that. Once Ullr beds that fickle tease, Ma Nature, and their fluffy prodigy starts piling up on the slopes, everything is going to be just fine.

Respectfully,

YS

TPNSOTEC ;P

PS, If I do say so myself, think this a pretty solid rant for early November. I'm not even in early season form yet, and I still have about ten pounds to lose before the season get's going.

Hawk
11-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Boy do you need to go skiing. Get out behind the computer and ski. I'm skiing Kmart tomorrow if you want to catch up. Then up for the weekend.

Well I woke up a few people at least. Look at YS!!! Now that is a post. :-) Not this weekend tree. completing renovations at the house. Soon my friend.

Hawk
11-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Dude, I spit on my keyboard. That is some funny sh*T. I liked the Funyions part. and Ulr and Ma Nature. ;-)

You're right but, stop your belly aching Dude! Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?! Hell NO! And we're not giving up now. Not on my watch Pal. I won't give up until the last drop of bourbon is drained from my cold dead corpse.

It's too DAMNED early for anything to be declared DOA. You have to at least wait until the snow flies. Don't worry, once that happens it won't be long before someone will post some sweet photo of an "undisclosed location". Which would be awsome! (hint hint) I'd do it, but how many locations on Snowball do you think I can keep "undisclosed" if I were to post such tasty photos here? So, would it be too much to ask for some of you genuine powder whores to go out this fall and pick up a little digital camera to stick in a pocket of your fancy AT hydration pack next to your homemade trail mix and flask of Maker's Mark and maybe share with the rest of us slack jawed Joeys what livin' is really like?. Gone Skiing ain't walkin thru that door friend and neither is his camera. And all though it seems like he is, Atkinson can't be everywhere with his camera.

Or a maybe a lift will be on windhold or down for repairs and someone will have atleast 2 cents to share on the matter. Or maybe there'll be a spontaneous flair up of some sexy reforrestation banter (Woodsman). And ATKINSON! Have you taken care of those F%*#ing sharp stumps yet? Just kidding, John. You know I revere you as The Man like no other . . . except for maybe Egan Brutha . . . maybe those guys in that place at the bottom of the hill too. (Sure, alright, I'm fanny smooch'n. What of it? Don't like it, try kissing mine.)

Or Hawk, keep up the chatter about Sunday Rivers gaudy snow making capacity and you're sure to draw the ire of some rose colored goggle wearing kool aid drinking Sugarbush suck up who will question your loyalty to the 'Bush. Oh, wait a second. That's me. (Especially since Lost One went missing.) Yeah, Hawk, what's up with that Sunday River place and you anyway? You're always talking about how great it is and all your friends over there, and what great time your having. Don't you understand how hurtful that can be to those of us who aren't taking advantage of the early season turns? Jeez Dude. Actually, how bout some photos.

So shake it off and fly right mister. I don't want to hear any more of that DOA talk. Atleast not until the snow flies and there are some the potential for some serious issues to discuss or maybe just some garden variety snow boarder v. skiier social conflict. Cuz, let's face it, those snow boarders do make a mess of the bumps don't they?. HAHAHAHA Oh, man they crack me up the way they hop about and flop on the ground.

BTW, I heard a rumor that they're going to groom Castle Rock and keep it GROOMED! HAHAHAHA Chew on that zipper heads! I also heard that only those who reside in the big red barn will be allowed to ski there. Where is that mis-informed monkey with the revolver when you need him. This is right in his wheel house.

BTW, IMHO, all bans should be lifted. Ya know forgive and forget. Call me crazy, but I think all tissues should be happy tissues not sad tissues. No great music nor powerful pieces of art have been made of a mild day. Let the rabble rousers back in! They probably won't come back, but still . . . Worst case scenario, if they do, ban 'em again. HAHAHAHAHA Otherwise, If these demands aren't met (and this is no idle threat), get ready for "Occupy SKIMRV" . . . ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA . . . Unlike those other "Occupies" camping out across the country our message is clear. In addition to having our student loans paid off we want reinstatement of banned skimrv members. Also the government should pick up the tab for our season passes this year. Oh, and we want free tacos mid week in Gatehouse . . . oh, and uh, . . . we want Funyions. Yeah Dude! We want Funyions. Funyions man, yeah!

Bottom line: It's only November, Hawk. Chillax with that DOA business. You know better than that. Once Ullr beds that fickle tease, Ma Nature, and their fluffy prodigy starts piling up on the slopes, everything is going to be just fine.

Respectfully,

YS

TPNSOTEC ;P

PS, If I do say so myself, think this a pretty solid rant for early November. I'm not even in early season form yet, and I still have about ten pounds to lose before the season get's going.

Mt St Pipier
11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Good stuff Yard Sale. I'm not a regular poster, but am a regular reader once summer is over. IMHO, the new fonts and such since the switchover are not as good. Maybe it's me getting old and I need a new prescription, but it's a little less inviting.

I don't worry the board will die, largely due to Win's participation. Very few places can you get that kind of communication from an owner.

Xskier
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
They haven't posted 2012 lift ticket prices yet have they? That usually gets a few of us going.

Brew Ski
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Wow Yard Sale.

You sound you really need to "get some"...skiing and beer. No Funyions, pal. Those are unkind to your fellow lift riders. All that butt smoochin' won't help your cause to be the world's premier novice skier. Only hard drinking and chasing VT North guys can do that.
Speaking of rants,...have you seen all the 6" stumps sticking up along trail edges? especially at Castlerock? Yikes, don't ski the trail edges in early season.

Hawk, did you have a bad fall off your Mt Bike? What happened? So angry. I agree, I miss barkbiter, Jaques le Guide, the monkey with the gun and Gone Skiing's pictures. At least Notorious is still slumming with us. I wonder if Barkbiter knows I had to move into his cave for part of the summer? I thought I saw he moved out west. Hard to believe, at his age the change in elevation could be fatal.

I'm predicting 312" of snow this year.
And consuming 312 'Gansetts in the CRP.
And finding a better more secretive route into "Dualing Chutes". One of my favorite "verboten" lines.
Think snow!

gostan
11-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Just not fair at all.....Tree gets day # 2 in and some of us have to work...work...work... Before we get to ski....ski....ski...

HowieT2
11-03-2011, 07:08 PM
We should ask lostone back.

I got about 2 more weeks worth of intense work before I can switch into winter ski mode. Don't know about you guys, but October is always brutal for me work wise. I closed one thing today so I can see the light at the end of tunnel.

If someone would share the blueprints for phase 3 of the lp village, we would have something to talk about.

Tin Woodsman
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
We should ask lostone back.

+1

There was no good reason he should have been chased out of here. Just a good hearted guy, doing what he had been asked, and who loved to share his love of all things SB. the BS he had thrown his way was so egregious and over the top.

Yard Sale
11-03-2011, 09:44 PM
+1

There was no good reason he should have been chased out of here. Just a good hearted guy, doing what he had been asked, and who loved to share his love of all things SB. the BS he had thrown his way was so egregious and over the top.

Agreed. Regardless of how he managed the board, which I had no problem with but some others did which is fine, the scat he got for it was flat out wrong.

Yard Sale
11-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Wow Yard Sale.

You sound you really need to "get some"...skiing and beer. No Funyions, pal. Those are unkind to your fellow lift riders. All that butt smoochin' won't help your cause to be the world's premier novice skier. Only hard drinking and chasing VT North guys can do that.

Bull's Eye. Except for the Funyions.

Hawk
11-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Bull's Eye. Except for the Funyions.

I'm also a big fan. They are addicting. Talk about being unfriendly to your fellow lift riders? I would hate to ride the lift with you Brew after a night of eating your fresh hunting kill and drinking a bunch of 'gansett.

Brew Ski
11-04-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm also a big fan. They are addicting. Talk about being unfriendly to your fellow lift riders? I would hate to ride the lift with you Brew after a night of eating your fresh hunting kill and drinking a bunch of 'gansett.

Hey, 'Gansett has a new brew master who has tweaked the original formula. No more corn flavor and cheap beer hangover. It's says it's the "official beer of the clam", how can that be bad???

Funions, it is never good to be smelt before being seen!

NorthLynx
11-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I stopped reading the board all together for about a year as a result of some of the drama that occurred. I was also disappointed to see Lostone go since I know him in person. It was clear that there were
some normal every day differences in opinion but when he decided to stand his ground things were blown way out of proportion.

I used to post here years ago under a different name (I forgot the user name and pswd and later abandoned the email account I had been using at the time) I tried to re-register from time to time over the years but due to the activation problems I was only able to setup an account after the switch to the new forums.

Now if we can just get some cold weather and start skiing again things should start to come back to life.

Yard Sale
11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Hey, 'Gansett has a new brew master who has tweaked the original formula. No more corn flavor and cheap beer hangover. It's says it's the "official beer of the clam", how can that be bad???

Funions, it is never good to be smelt before being seen!

Brew,

If you're a fan of the "official beer of the clam", might I suggest that you may want to try a Budweiser Chalada. It's a delightful and nutritious blend of Budweiser and clamato juice and it's sold in a 24 oz. can. It's not for anyone with a weak stomach or is otherwise barf-prone. It's a bit of a head scratcher, actually. You have to wonder what dire circumstances someone would have to be in to come up with this concoction as the solution.

This beverage reminds me of the ol' Bass-o-Matic pitched by Dan Akroid on Saturday Night Live in the 1970's. The first sip tastes a little bit like you're drinking a bag of surgical bio-waste. If you thought you didn't like the first sip just wait 'til you get to the bottom of the can. Mmmmmmmm. There is something so very wrong about this beverage that makes it so right. I call it the clampagne of beers. So, if your a fan of the ingesting everything under the sun at least once club this Bud is for you.

I'll bring you one this winter.

FYI, I'm not affiliated with Budweiser or anywhere in the shelfish industry. This is an upiad endorsement.

Re: Funyions and subsequent collateral damge to your lift mates:

Gortex pants are breathable, but not that breathable. I've found that most Gortex pants afford the wearer enough time for an avergage length lift ride to transpire with out being forced to unleash one's personal bounty harvested from questionable dietary choices, like Funyions or even a nice refreshing Bud and Clamato juice in between runs to recharge the ol' batteries. Of course making it to the top of the lift with your fragrant cargo intact will require the offending party to take certain measures like keeping all venting portals zipped even if it is uncomfortably warm in there. And remaining almost perfecty still to prevent "pantal puffing" out the waist band or boot cuffs is also a must. Of course, results may vary depending on base layers.

See ya on the lift. :D

YS

Brew Ski
11-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Yard Sale,

Your post represents every reason i love to ski. It is not just a sport, it is a way of life. And Sugarbushers make life better! I'm getting ready for opening day. Not sure about the Bud clam juice mix, since life is too short to drink cheap beer!, but in social context, I'll be glad to rip Castlerock with you and have a few in the pub. Isn't that what skiing is about?

Brew ski

skiladi
11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I find the new format intimidating plus I have been busy with other stuff and I am one of a very few gals that post. I just tried to upload a video from the big storm in March but I doubt it worked. And I miss Lostone's photos and updates.P.S. Was just told the upload was too large. It is a 15 second video...so , there you have it. NOT. I think I was able to add an avatar. But not my old one from old board. But it was time to say goodbye to that one anyways. It was my old dog that died in 2007 and me xc skiing at Blueberry Lake. I've been taking a course this summer/fall so next year I will add a computer course to my list but for now just want to finish the one I am doing and go skiing. Not as exciting as some of the posts on this subject but thought some of you might want to know why some of us are not posting. Think Snow! ; }

notorious
11-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I can not believe how utterly borring the board has become. This used to be a community that shared ideas and opinions and that is the purpose Right?. This board should be a place that people share ideas, opinions and maybe a weather report or trip report. Now it seems to have run it's course and has just shut down. I strongly feel that the overly strong opinions of some, the snobbyness of others and the self-eliteness of a few have poisoned it for the general public. It has desended into a place to come and bitch about anything that is not perfect or Ideal in the opinion of the poster. This is not what it is about!

I miss the posting of Bubba, Davious, Lostone, etc. who at least had some personality and made things fun. Hell I even miss Barkbiter.

Ah, to hell with it. Nick just pull the plug! The f@#kin place is going nowhere.

Ya, it's pretty much DOA, but not for the reasons you express. When the admins silenced those they disagreed with, this forum lost a lot. Banning Gone Skiing was ridiculous. Those who defended the offenders were threatened with banishment. The same admin continues to be hall monitor. There are other means of communication. It's up to those of you who still use it to make it worthwhile enough to regenerate the lost participants.

mikec13
11-07-2011, 01:46 PM
+2 or 3 on missing the old posters

I seldom post but often read...I did find the argument over the Moderating of the forum so bad that I lost a lot of interest in the forum...Personally -I hope Lostone, Barkbiter and the Chimp with the Gun all come back

Hawk
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Ya, it's pretty much DOA, but not for the reasons you express. When the admins silenced those they disagreed with, this forum lost a lot. Banning Gone Skiing was ridiculous. Those who defended the offenders were threatened with banishment. The same admin continues to be hall monitor. There are other means of communication. It's up to those of you who still use it to make it worthwhile enough to regenerate the lost participants.

I guess it is a mater of perspective. People take sides. I thought there was rediculousness on both sides. There were hurtful things said and it went way to far. I just want to hear things about sking at my resort. Happy fun things, informative things, intelegent debate......and mayby some comedy, and Funyons!!!!
I also think that there has been a relaxing of the old rules. If you didn't notice, the discussion is now call Skiing - Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, and general skiing discussions
and not specific to Sugarbush. I also think that GS was not banned, he just left right? He can post all he wants now. I am sure we would all love it. Time to forget about last year.

NorthLynx
11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
You never know who your next lift ride will be with. I am sure quite a few people on this board have met in person wether or not they are even aware
of it. There are plenty of other places on the internet to get into disputes with people anonymously.

after all you never know who you may be skiing with one day. Another advantage to keeping this board civil is it encourages participation by the resort
and those who have been around have seen how that relationship has been jeopardized in the past.

Nick
11-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Send me a pm with some background info and i can look into it again. You'd have to push me real far to actually get banned....

Xskier
11-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Well ticket prices were released. At this rate of yearly ticket increases we will break the $100 mark in a few years. Not good for getting my friends up to visit. They used to come up and ski but with the crazy price increases the last few years they just come up and hang out now. It keeps people off the slopes which I guess is the goal. Make the same money but with less skiers.

Hawk
11-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Well ticket prices were released. At this rate of yearly ticket increases we will break the $100 mark in a few years. Not good for getting my friends up to visit. They used to come up and ski but with the crazy price increases the last few years they just come up and hang out now. It keeps people off the slopes which I guess is the goal. Make the same money but with less skiers.

It's the industry as a whole. Sugarbush is $79 if you use the e-ticket. Look and compare for a Saturday mid season:

Stowe: $92
Killington: $86
Jay: $75
Smugglers: $66 - $70 Holiday Weeks
Sunday River: $80
Loon: $78
Waterille: $73
Sugarloaf: $79

Here is the best deal if you hop on it before wednesday. It is not good on Satudays or Holiday weeks but other than that you are not going to get cheaper.
http://deals.boston.com/deal/4070/sugarbush-resort-in-vermont

djd66
11-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Did Lostone get kicked out or did he just leave on his own? I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but the way posts got moved around (and did not get moved for certain people) was very annoying. For what its worth - this thread would have been moved to (Site feed back?? or Misc??) This place is kind of dead,... I assume things will pick up once the snow starts to fly.

Hawk
11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
BTW - I do not buy tickets and usually the people I ski with are pass holders. Anybody I ski with from other ski areas get deals, scam tickets or skin to win so I really don't deal with this kind of thing often. I can understand if you are not willing to have forethought, creativity and resoursefulness, it can be expensive. ;-)

Hawk
11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Did Lostone get kicked out or did he just leave on his own? I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but the way posts got moved around (and did not get moved for certain people) was very annoying. For what its worth - this thread would have been moved to (Site feed back?? or Misc??) This place is kind of dead,... I assume things will pick up once the snow starts to fly.
I had a conversation with him shortly after. He left on his own accord. He just got sick of being pelted with absurd Sh*t. FWIW - I though he was a nice, kind man who had great enthusiasm for the Bush. I have no problem with him. I find myself having a greater problem with people verbally picking on individules in a mean manner. This is afterall a message board. We don't save lives here. Decisiions are not made here. It is just a place to come and talk about things.

gostan
11-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I belong to several Audio Video Forums where dueling opinions about audio theory and/or which piece of electronics or speakers is superior to another have led to dueling personal attacks with mods having to close threads or issue temporary probation to those that took personal opinions and hobbies well beyond the sense of reasonableness. I think that most of us are here to enjoy ourselves, gather info and should all be smart enough to know when to let our own ideas and ego's pass, and when to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

I only participate here in the hope that I might find out where some of the real secret Stashes in Slidebrook are because Treeskier will not show me. Hope I don't get banned!

win
11-11-2011, 04:35 PM
The other ticket option in the SugarDirect and you get the average down to the mid $60 range.

Who said grooming Castlerock all the time was a rumor. Maybe this will return the passion.

teleo
11-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Who said grooming Castlerock all the time was a rumor. Maybe this will return the passion.
Grooming Castlerock - blasphemy!!!!!!
An ungroomed Castlerock IS the passion!!!!!

gostan
11-12-2011, 06:30 AM
The other ticket option in the SugarDirect and you get the average down to the mid $60 range.

Who said grooming Castlerock all the time was a rumor. Maybe this will return the passion.Win, when I first returned to Sugarbush several years ago, I posted here that the Sugar Direct Card really needed to be updated with price reductions. It is now a fabulous way to reduce the daily cost of skiing on a pay as you go basis. In fact, I have at least two friends who i have talked into skiing SB this winter because of the Sugar Card and the fact that there The rumor of full time grooming on Castlerock is just a rumor started by some unknown high up in the food chain.

NorthLynx
11-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Phase 3 this spring will include a fleet of 8 new winch cats and word is they will start re cutting and widening the trails on castle rock starting June 1st. Phase 4 starting 2013-2014 will include a "giant new snowmaking system" that will offer full and complete coverage,
including the legendary terrain of castle rock. Due to the castle rock terrain enhancement program the mountain will
be closed to recreational use and hiking because of the required blasting. Market research indicates that the majority of
skiers see rocks as a deterrent so this issue will be addressed to make the legendary terrain more skier and snowboard friendly.

Phase 4 begining in 2013-2014 will include installation of the castle rock high speed gondola, and construction the new Castle rock lodge to be incorporated with the top station of the new gondola. The new summit lodge will feature miniature golf, bowling alley, day spa, and 5 star restaurant with impressive panoramic views of all of new england. The restaurant will be built with 9 seamless glass panels
and will also feature an apple store designed by Steve Jobs himself shortly prior to his passing.

Phase 5 starting in 2015 will bring a much needed ice rink to the sugarbush health and racket club, and the mount ellen base lodge will receive a fresh coat of paint.

gostan
11-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Nothlynx,

You missed the latest and greatest and real and most definite immediate change coming to Lincoln Peak for part of the upcoming 2011-12 ski and riding season.

Win and the NHL will be announcing that the NHL Winter Classic scheduled outdoors for New Years Day in Philadelphia between the Flyers and Rangers is being relocated to Sugarbush due to a crack in the statue of Rocky. Plans are to temporarily relocate Timbers, Claybrook and Gatehouse and enlarge the swimming pool into the size of a regulation NHL rink and freeze the pool into an ice surface. Mountain Ops promises that there will be absolutely No inconveniences or impact during the Christmas and New Years Holiday Week or the balance of the 2012 ski season, and this will really help to put Sugarbush at the top of all NE Ski Area Polls. Bill Stenger and Jay Peak...take your indoor water park and go home!

Time for me to get real and drive into the Ski Show @ the Seaport World Trade Center for 2012-12 ski porn. Trail maps, freebies and, hopefullY, some deals to the West.

Hawk
11-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Phase 3 this spring will include a fleet of 8 new winch cats and word is they will start re cutting and widening the trails on castle rock starting June 1st. Phase 4 starting 2013-2014 will include a "giant new snowmaking system" that will offer full and complete coverage,
including the legendary terrain of castle rock. Due to the castle rock terrain enhancement program the mountain will
be closed to recreational use and hiking because of the required blasting. Market research indicates that the majority of
skiers see rocks as a deterrent so this issue will be addressed to make the legendary terrain more skier and snowboard friendly.

Phase 4 begining in 2013-2014 will include installation of the castle rock high speed gondola, and construction the new Castle rock lodge to be incorporated with the top station of the new gondola. The new summit lodge will feature miniature golf, bowling alley, day spa, and 5 star restaurant with impressive panoramic views of all of new england. The restaurant will be built with 9 seamless glass panels
and will also feature an apple store designed by Steve Jobs himself shortly prior to his passing.

Phase 5 starting in 2015 will bring a much needed ice rink to the sugarbush health and racket club, and the mount ellen base lodge will receive a fresh coat of paint.

Wow. What a comedian. ;-)

win
11-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Love all the ideas - especially the bowling alley but not sure about the fresh coat of paint. That might destory the ambience.

Now think cold temps and snow!

Nick
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Yo guys, just wanted to let you know that I am not abandoning this forum as well and I really do want to see it succeed. We have a lot of passionate people here and I have gotten a few PM's already from several giving me ideas. I'm pretty overwhelmed right now on handling AlpineZone but please continue to send me suggestions or ideas.

Also you can email me at nick@alpinezone.com, and I'd be glad to talk more as well!

-Nick

skiladi
11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Grooming Castlerock - blasphemy!!!!!!
An ungroomed Castlerock IS the passion!!!!!

The rumor I heard is to ban freeheelers from Castlerock as they have WAY too much fun...lol. ; }

RopeTow
12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I stopped reading the board all together for about a year as a result of some of the drama that occurred. I was also disappointed to see Lostone go since I know him in person. It was clear that there were
some normal every day differences in opinion but when he decided to stand his ground things were blown way out of proportion.

I used to post here years ago under a different name (I forgot the user name and pswd and later abandoned the email account I had been using at the time) I tried to re-register from time to time over the years but due to the activation problems I was only able to setup an account after the switch to the new forums.

Now if we can just get some cold weather and start skiing again things should start to come back to life.

I'm quoting NorthLynx, because I quit reading and posting last year, too, when I couldn't logon no matter how hard I tried. One day I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to email Admin and simply gave up when I couldn't get through. So I guess I missed the umbrage-fest last year. Thankfully.

Having said that I was able to get through to Nick earlier this fall and he set me up with a new user name and password, so I'm back! Thanks, Nick and great posts already on this thread, esp from NorthLynx and Yard Sale.

Although most of you don't know me because back when I could get on I lurked more than posted because it seemed like a bit of an exclusive club. Sorry, just sayin'.

Well, now we've signed a lease in Warren for 2011-12 and so it would be nice to come back and get involved.

Here's a little bit about me:

I'm 61 years young
live in Fairfield County
married guy
empty nester
work in NYC
will talk to both Republicans and Dems, capitalists and crunchies
have been skiing since 1961 (hence handle)
think SB is the best!
will purchase Sugar Direct card before 12/15
will also purchase a few Mad Cards (is that ok?)
still struggle in the bumps (still want to get better)
interested in new equipment and technique
especially what works best in bumps and woods
interested in secret stashes and lines
wish we had better snowmaking, too, but don't think its fair to bust win's chops for it
wondering if Roxbury Rd is worth it
wish more MRG guys joined us here
wish more MRG guys skied with us
wondering what happened to MRV nightlife or don't I know?
curious where to eat
and whatever else is going on in SB and the MRV
and praying to the snow gods

See you here more, I hope, and on the mtn.
Here's to a great season!

RopeTow

gostan
12-03-2011, 06:18 AM
RopeTow, you failed to state whether you speak to both skiers and snowboarders. Seriously, welcome back. The more the merrier.

RopeTow
12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Hah! Good question, Gostan. Being a (relative) oldtimer, I admit to some prejudices against boarders...

It seems to me that all of that sideways sliding on one edge of the board does tend to scrape the snow down and off the backside of the mogul and eventually off the middle of the trail. My next thought might be a bit controversial, but it seems to me that when the natural snow is good, trails at MRG "ski" better because they don't get as scraped off. But then you have to factor in the lack of grooming, bump build up, etc., but I do tend to think that boarders are a slight negative as far as trail surface quality is concerned...for skiers, anyway...wonder what others think...seems to be mostly skiiers on this site...

And as long as we're on the topic, seems to me boarders bring different angles and speeds and rhythms to the trail. To me they are a bit less predictable than the skier...creates a little anxiety picking my way down say Organgrinder or Ripcord...when I hear a hi-speed boarder behind me.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. Really looking forward to a great winter up in the MRV.

RopeTow

ahm
12-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Sometimes the ridiculous banter is such that it takes the fun out of the sport. My basic view over the years has been just go ski and keep the chat to the bar. The constant moaning and groaning about how the hill should be run, what the best names for lines are, who got first tracks on what, how many hits your post go get's a little old. Does it actually matter?

When it comes to running the area, it is really Win's decision as it is his job to "pay the bills" and set the budget. We've talked snow making to death. Hawk wants more, but forgets that the River just blows a bunch of ice to have the hill open (my runs the last couple days certainly brought that point home). Some input on clipping stumps at the bottom makes sense, but the desire by many to head to the woods when they clearly aren't ready means you'll hit some stumps. Hope the early woods runs are worth it and you do not ruin your season for a couple turns by getting injured. If you hike the eastern woods you probably realize how much snow is needed to cover the forest floor from snow snakes.

Overall, the board is not a place for an information exchange and that is most likely the idea. So, maybe if the primary posters go back to honest information exchange the board would serve a better purpose. Who knows.

Enjoy the season, ride your bike while waiting for it to snow (most of the mud is frozen by now) or hike in prep for the season. You could always go check out some potential woods run to see what it would take to ski it. I toss a couple out there: Mt Abe to the Lincoln gap road or the Battell (sp) trail into the town of Lincoln.

AHM

Hawk
12-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Actually the board has been very civil this year and actually the bitching has been better. You wont change my opinion on the snowmaking. ;-) Don't you have some trip planned somewhere you need to attend to????? Send Pics and maybe that will cure our snow Jones.