PDA

View Full Version : Steins entrance?

fingers race
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I notice a significant amount of trees have been cleared creating what appears to be a new skier's right entrance into Steins. Not sure if this was planned or mother nature as there is still an awkwardly located snow gun if the mountain was intentionally opening this section. Any details?

Hawk
10-11-2011, 06:32 AM
This was definitely planned because there was no impact from Mother Nature as far as I can tell. I guess it should help out with the congestion a little and I think it will also help out in the spring. The old entrance funneled all the people into the same lines and they would always get skied to the dirt or get very icy. The new entrance is much wider and will allow an easier entrance.

On the down side it does change the character of the trail a little. The old entrance did seem more challenging so lesser skiers would opt to go back up and ski Snowball. Personally, I am old school and I preferred the old entrance but change always happens.

win
10-11-2011, 07:19 AM
This was done to allow for better winching. The former angle cause the cable on the groomer to break a couple of times. This will also be a better entrance.

Hardbooter
10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
This weekend I hiked from Bravo to the long trail to Castlerock and down Castlerock. I noticed a bunch of trees cut out on the inside of the last turn before the chair at castlerock. That's really great. It will allow a lot of the traffic to avoid the scraped corner. That area in the trees might hold snow better than that last turn too.

I noticed a lot of drainage fixes and culvert work. I assume thats all Hurricane related. Are there any other places where crews did any tree work? How did slide brook turn out?

skiladi
10-13-2011, 07:52 PM
This was definitely planned because there was no impact from Mother Nature as far as I can tell. I guess it should help out with the congestion a little and I think it will also help out in the spring. The old entrance funneled all the people into the same lines and they would always get skied to the dirt or get very icy. The new entrance is much wider and will allow an easier entrance.

On the down side it does change the character of the trail a little. The old entrance did seem more challenging so lesser skiers would opt to go back up and ski Snowball. Personally, I am old school and I preferred the old entrance but change always happens.

I hope the Birch is still there. I don't drop in like Egan but after watching him , I always drop in on that side between the tree line and that Birch. Please tell me it is still there.

Hawk
10-14-2011, 06:32 AM
I know where you are talking about. I think it is still there but I did not go over to the old entrance because I was on my bike. Anyway you will not have to go all the way over to that entrance. The new one basically goes from the entrance of the Mall over to the old entrance leaving an island of trees about 20 feet wide. It will be much easier to enter the trail.

Brew Ski
10-14-2011, 08:33 AM
So, does that mean more traffic build up or less traffic build up where the Valley House lifts lets skiers off?
That intersection is very dangerous at times because of people stopping in the middle of the traverse, people coming down from the lift and people trying to get to the entrance of the Mall and Steins.
Are we going to end up with more gawkers looking down Steins new entrance and cause more trail hazards?

win
10-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't think it will!

mattlucas
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure what to think about the entrance to Steins.

People might gawk at the top, but some of that will be cool because the view was wide and really in your face. It isn't bad per se to have a wide steep trail. It looks like a real venue for bump contests, etc. The double fall line should be easier for most people to manage because you have more space to get used to it under your feet, which makes the trail easier.

I do worry about Mall/Steins turning into one giant trail. Was it not possible to pour another and stronger pad to winch, or would that angle always destroy cables in the future? That must have been pretty frightening to be driving the groomer and to feel the cable snap. I trust the driver was ok or we would have heard, and that would have been truly awful if something happened. But if it had never happened before, it might have also been a dramatic fix.

Anyone ski it while it was open?

itsallaboutpow
01-21-2012, 10:02 PM
I love the new entrance .. skiers right from the top is now, seemingly the steepest prolong pitch on the Mnt .. rivals skiers right on FIS. About time we get some real big boy skiing :-)

Brew Ski
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
New entrance is really good. There was quite a few trees removed. My first left turn to Steins this weekend made me think I was jumping into the Mall. I was shocked to be looking down Steins from the traverse. The removed trees really makes access easy and does prevent a build up of skiers hanging out at the lip under the chair. Really nice view of Steins too.

I managed to get several early morning runs on freshly groomed Steins and it skied really well. Just need about 250 more inches of snow so we can ski it all April and May!

Hawk
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
New entrance is really good. There was quite a few trees removed. My first left turn to Steins this weekend made me think I was jumping into the Mall. I was shocked to be looking down Steins from the traverse. The removed trees really makes access easy and does prevent a build up of skiers hanging out at the lip under the chair. Really nice view of Steins too.

I managed to get several early morning runs on freshly groomed Steins and it skied really well. Just need about 250 more inches of snow so we can ski it all April and May!

Funny you say that Brew. Terri and I have the exact opposite opinion of the new entrance. The old entrance would pull the Steins people down the traverse to the top of the trail away from the intersection of Mall. On Saturday and Sunday, every time we came down there, there were tons of people massed at the top of Steins and Mall. Everybody seemed to sit there and Gawk at the new entrance and not move. That coupled with the sheet of ice comming down off the travers made for some really challenging situations. I saw several people get talken out. Nope, not a real fan of the new entrance. Changes the character of Steins for the worse.

skimore
01-23-2012, 03:37 PM
1 st weekend I could really see how the new entrance was going to work, it makes for a great entrance if you just roll right off the traverse and air in on the left side of the new entrance, however just as I thought everyone feels the need to line up accross and block it. None the less great job by the gromming crew on Steins, you know they did a nice job when you can just rip turns all the way down and the next thing you know you are at brovo for another lap.

Brew Ski
01-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Hawk,

The ice sheet was a separate and recurring issue. I think some of the gawkers was the fact that there was something "new" so people stopped to smell the flowers so to speak. That will change when we get more snow. People will keep heading to their favorite runs or trees, that area will have more snow and get built up creating a larger area so less congestion.

Let's be honest, because the double chair dumps people out right there and forces them to go right, there will always be a traffic jam there. If the mountain cuts trees so that people who want to ski snow ball, spring fling and lower trails can turn left off the chair, that would significantly improve the intersection. Until that occurs, that spot will always have a traffic jam, people getting taken out and because of the traffic jam, slick packed ice to enhance the wipe out experience.

For Stein users, i think the new entrance is grand and will work well. Some people will drop on the skiers right side, other likely will cut back to the original entrance on skiers far left (Me), which likely will retain more and better snow since it is "out of the way" now. Besides, I like the skiers left pitch a little better. Top starts steeper, and have a few rolls that are fun to play on that the right side doesn't have. So my comments, in this light, might find agreement with you? It makes the entrance to Steins better. Doesn't improve the cluster mess at the intersection of the valley house double and the traverse. I think it is only worse now until everyone gets a chance to see the tree cutting, then it will lose its "new car smell".

Thanks for making turns with me. Always nice to ski bumps with "the Hammer"!

Brew Ski

Hawk
01-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Yes I agree that the whole area is in need of a revamp when the new lift eventualy goes in. I also agree with skimore about entering on the left of the new entrance and airing it out. I did that my first time last weekend when they opened it with the snowmaking still running. I actually had a little OMG moment when I found myself 10 feet in the air. ;-)

BTW - It was great to see you on the hill. I hope you and J can work it out so that both of you get out more. When I left you guys to head home I had a little mishap. I ended up landing on my back on a rock or stump in the woods. I'm OK but should have listened to Digity's warning. We need more snow. ;-)

Tin Woodsman
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Separate issue, but I don't think the solution to the ice sheet in that spot lies soley in allowing VH double riders to exit left. Ultimately, you've got a situation where skiers come around a blind corner just as the pitch steepens after the long traverse from Bravo. They are immediately greeted with a narrows due to the VH off-load ramp as well as skiers interested in stopping to check out what Mall and Stein's look like (whether to assess conditions or just gawk at the steeps). The solution is going to hve to involve moving the VH off-ramp further up hill (South), no small amount of TNT to push that rock wall back somewhat and perhaps some regrading of VH traverse so that the transition from flat to nont flat is a little smoother and doesn't give beginners problems.

Brew Ski
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Ouch. Well, I hope you only hurt your pride. Probably shouldn't have called it "the last run of the day", before heading off. Kinda jinxed yourself there. It was great to ski with you guys. Missed you at the pub. Jack was getting all the ladies attention. Show off.

One of my first runs, I too, turned in sharp with some speed and unexpectedly launched big air from the left of the new entrance in front of the Bush Pilot Coaches. Fortunately I stuck the landing, but got a good razzing later in the lift line. I did manage to make it down Steins with only 18 turns. Hey, it was groomed, and wide open. What better way to high speed GS STEINS!

Hawk
01-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I guess your entrance was better than M's ;-)
I saw pics on Facebook of Wyp, Eugene, Dino and others from Sugarbush at Chamonix. Man am I jealous. The conditions look stellar.

Brew Ski
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Yup, quite the crew. They should have a great trip with Dino as a guide. Probably as much fun off the snow as on the snow!!!