Clay Brook Porch: 1pm - 4pm

Free Bike Clinic w/ John Egan and John Atkinson
Meet at Farmhouse: 1pm-3pm

Free Dog-friendly Hike w/ Candice White
Meet in Gate House Courtyard: 1pm - 3pm

Pumpkin Carving
Schoolhouse: 1pm-3pm
Times: ALL DAY EVENT

Looks good. Will there be free to pass holders chair rides again this year?

gostan
09-22-2011, 05:04 AM
I enjoyed myself last year at my First Community Day, but myself and many others will not be able to attend this year since Saturday, October 8th is Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement.

atkinson
09-23-2011, 06:29 AM
2011-2012 pass holders ride for free on Community Day, as always. We may open it up for the whole weekend to pass holders too. Stay tuned.

Mt St Pipier
10-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Missed it this year (still sailing). Any updates of note from attendees? Much appreciated.

southvillager
10-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Missed it this year (still sailing). Any updates of note from attendees? Much appreciated.

It was a nice casual event. The weather was ideal, summer-like. We took the grandmothers (elderly non-skiers) up the chairlift for some incredible views. They lift attendants were super cool about loading and unloading the elders. Had lunch at the CRP, they were understaffed (according to the waitress), so the service suffered, and there were several unhappy customers as a result. The band was terrific, really enjoyed it. The next day we went for supper at Timbers, which was very good. We had no reservation, but they made the extra effort to seat us and make us comfortable. The hostess and bartenders at Timbers are the best. Overall, very nice.

Hawk
10-11-2011, 06:20 AM
I think he was talking about Win's speech. I would also like to hear what he said.

Hawk
10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Come on. No one can summarize what Mr. Smith spoke about on Saturday? Really?

Brew Ski
10-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Hawk,

Season pass sales are up again.

The for20 pass is an attempt to secure the future of skiers at Sugarbush. And maybe liven up the night life at local pubs.

The mountain invested in some new snow cats for grooming. A new winch cat i believe. Also invested in lots of new snowmaking guns. Very high efficiency. Use the same amount of water but only ~5-10% of the air, which will make more and betteer snow at dramatically reduced cost. Also, they did some upkeep and maintenence on the air compressors which should allow them to operate better and more efficient. All the snow making upgrades ~$1M should provide better and more snowmaking capacity, quicker recovery after dreaded thaw events all at reduced operating costs. Also the guns will be at both Lincoln Peak and Mt. Ellen.

Weddings are up again and booking fast. Win's wedding was here and he took time to comment on his pleasure with his staffs service. The weddings are working out well and customers are getting what they pay for and loving it.
The new Governor's inaugural ball was a great event. Quite a party too.

More woods work has been done on the mountain. If you are hiking around, you will find some interesting new places that have been cleared. I'm not telling, either.

The clean up from Irene has been extensive in the valley. The mountain survived relatively unscathed except for the snow making pond. The snow making pond is getting rebuilt. It should be ready to go for opening day. Please stay out of the area as they have many heavy equipment in there moving tremendous amounts of soil and gravel. Sugarbush has aided the community both financially and with volunteer work. Sugarbush is helping the MRV communtiy move forward.

The golf course survived Irene with little if any damage and is playing the best ever thanks in part to the continued upgrades over the past few years. Great deal on memberships which also are up.

Sugarbush village residents will no longer be allowed to ski the woods. Absolutely forbidden. Sorry Hawk. I'll try to ski your lines to keep them fresh! ;-) Kidding of course. About being sorry!;-P

Gerry Nooney has taken over as top Food and Beverage guy. We should see some new menu items and some improvements in the food and beverage offerings.

All the beer is free this year.
Win Guaranteed >300 inches of snow this year. I believe the man knows his long range forecasts and I'll go on record for 312" this year. Last year was 308".

That is about the extent of what I remember.
I'm excited for the snow, the new snow making and having the woods to myself with all the free beer. Skiing is such a better way of life!

Brew ski out.

win
10-12-2011, 10:36 AM
This is the 10th year anniversary of our ownership (signed purchase and sale on 9/10/11). We've come a long way since that day and special thanks to our thousands of season passholders who have made us what we are today. Again SP sales as well as seasonal programs are up over last year. Despite record rain in May and June, we had a very strong summer. Mountain summer activities were up 9% and golf rounds were up 12%. We had 22 wedding receptions here at Sugarbush (including my own) and did business (Lodging or F&B) with another 26 bridal parties. Already have 19 weddings booked for 2101 vs 11 this time last year. I also summarized some of the highlights of last winter - 308" inches of snow, skied until May 1st. This year we have spent $1.5 million on snowmaking and grooming improvements. New winch cat, rebuilt three of our snowmaking compressors, purchased new "potentially revolutionary" snowmaking towers that make snow at significantly less cfm than other options. This should allow us to run more towers in early season marginal temperatures which should allow faster trail openings and will also aid in recovery. Spoke about Irene and the devastation it caused many in the Valley and asked for contribution to the Mad River Valley Community Fund. (The Grace Potter brunch was a huge success and we raised $210,000 for the fund which has now raised over $860,000 since Irene. Gifts have ranged from $1 to $100,000). Also outlined damage to both Mad River and Mount Ellen snowmaking ponds. It will cost us at least $700,000 for fix both and not sure how much insurance will cover. Repairs are on schedule, and we should finish excavation of both by early week of the 10th. Need to next complete repairs to earth around MR pond and put back electrical. But we WILL be ready for snowmaking early November when the temperatures allows. Shooting for a Lincoln Peak opening on Saturday, November 19th. Also covered the rationale for the For20s pass. This is the future, and we had almost no passholders in this age category. Pleased with results for far. Reminded all to take advantage of the discounts that come along with our season passes and also mentioned that SugarDirect will be the same as last year. Strong demand for the Lincoln Limo. Prices will be the same as last year and thinking of adding some special value added dinners at Allyn's Lodge in addition to what we are already ofering. Gerry Nooney has been promoted to the Director of F&B following Chris Clements who has moved on. Mentioned that we have had a very good two year summer relationship with New England Tennis Holidays and have expanded this to a full year relationship.

HowieT2
10-13-2011, 07:03 AM
This is the 10th year anniversary of our ownership (signed purchase and sale on 9/10/11). We've come a long way since that day and special thanks to our thousands of season passholders who have made us what we are today. Again SP sales as well as seasonal programs are up over last year. Despite record rain in May and June, we had a very strong summer. Mountain summer activities were up 9% and golf rounds were up 12%. We had 22 wedding receptions here at Sugarbush (including my own) and did business (Lodging or F&B) with another 26 bridal parties. Already have 19 weddings booked for 2101 vs 11 this time last year. I also summarized some of the highlights of last winter - 308" inches of snow, skied until May 1st. This year we have spent $1.5 million on snowmaking and grooming improvements. New winch cat, rebuilt three of our snowmaking compressors, purchased new "potentially revolutionary" snowmaking towers that make snow at significantly less cfm than other options. This should allow us to run more towers in early season marginal temperatures which should allow faster trail openings and will also aid in recovery. Spoke about Irene and the devastation it caused many in the Valley and asked for contribution to the Mad River Valley Community Fund. (The Grace Potter brunch was a huge success and we raised $210,000 for the fund which has now raised over $860,000 since Irene. Gifts have ranged from $1 to $100,000). Also outlined damage to both Mad River and Mount Ellen snowmaking ponds. It will cost us at least $700,000 for fix both and not sure how much insurance will cover. Repairs are on schedule, and we should finish excavation of both by early week of the 10th. Need to next complete repairs to earth around MR pond and put back electrical. But we WILL be ready for snowmaking early November when the temperatures allows. Shooting for a Lincoln Peak opening on Saturday, November 19th. Also covered the rationale for the For20s pass. This is the future, and we had almost no passholders in this age category. Pleased with results for far. Reminded all to take advantage of the discounts that come along with our season passes and also mentioned that SugarDirect will be the same as last year. Strong demand for the Lincoln Limo. Prices will be the same as last year and thinking of adding some special value added dinners at Allyn's Lodge in addition to what we are already ofering. Gerry Nooney has been promoted to the Director of F&B following Chris Clements who has moved on. Mentioned that we have had a very good two year summer relationship with New England Tennis Holidays and have expanded this to a full year relationship.

Thanks.
Could you elaborate on the new towers. Interesting stuff.
Wow 700k to dig out some gravel. Can only imagine what the cost of fixing all the roads is going to be.
Value added for alyns dinners???

Btw-isn't October the cruelest month. Can't wait for it to be over. Feel the same way every year.

Treeskier
10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks Win for the updates. Can you elaborate on the the cutting at the top of Steins and base of Casterock? any other traffic areas been adjusted?

Hawk
10-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Thank you!
I will not comment on the snowmaking until I see the results. You all know how I feel about the current operation. I hope to be plesently surprised.

Brew.... " I'm not telling" about new areas cleared. Please..... like its not obvious.

Also watchout for the piano wire I strung up at neck height. That might might put a cramp in your style. lol JK

The mountain this summer has been alive and it looks to carry over straight into winter. I have to say I love the direction that the managment has taken us over the last 10 years. I wish them luck in the future.

Hawk
10-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Howie, they did a lot more than just dig out gravel. You need to go down there next time you are up here and see the extent of the work.

Hawk
10-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks Win for the updates. Can you elaborate on the the cutting at the top of Steins and base of Casterock? any other traffic areas been adjusted?
There is a sperate thread on the Steins entrance.

HowieT2
10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Howie, they did a lot more than just dig out gravel. You need to go down there next time you are up here and see the extent of the work.

dude, i know its a big project.

Brew Ski
10-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you!
I will not comment on the snowmaking until I see the results. You all know how I feel about the current operation. I hope to be plesently surprised.

Brew.... " I'm not telling" about new areas cleared. Please..... like its not obvious.

Also watchout for the piano wire I strung up at neck height. That might might put a cramp in your style. lol JK

The mountain this summer has been alive and it looks to carry over straight into winter. I have to say I love the direction that the managment has taken us over the last 10 years. I wish them luck in the future.

You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish...

Hawk, I know that in your travels around the mountain on bike you will see much of what has been done, so you didn't count. But did you notice if the stumps are getting cut flush? Seems like some along the trail edge are still sticking up around 6-10" which is worrisome, especially for early season.

I have not found my way into Slidebrook this summer for hikes. Has anyone been in there to see if Mountain ops cleaned out the three sanctioned bands? Did they make it all the way down to the cat track/run out?

Tin Woodsman
10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is why they keep investing so much money in snowmaking if their system is as good as many people here keep insisting. We already open as early as those noted high elevation resorts in NH Loon and Attitash - what a waste!

Hawk
10-17-2011, 03:07 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is why they keep investing so much money in snowmaking if their system is as good as many people here keep insisting. We already open as early as those noted high elevation resorts in NH Loon and Attitash - what a waste!

You kidding right? This is sarcasm right?????

Tin Woodsman
10-17-2011, 07:06 PM
You kidding right? This is sarcasm right?????

Indeed.

We are simpatico re: snowmaking.

HowieT2
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Indeed.

We are simpatico re: snowmaking.

Yeah yeah we haven't had a good snowmaking thread in awhile. What's the deal with these new towers?

Tin Woodsman
10-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah yeah we haven't had a good snowmaking thread in awhile. What's the deal with these new towers?

Sounds like they are even more efficient than the ones already in place on Ripcord etc... Just as interesting to me is the rebuild of the compressors. These two investments combined likely address some of the more visible bottlenecks in the system.

It's interesting that they have consistently foregone the opportunity to install fan guns. Obviously a lot of info we aren't privy to, so I trust them to make the right decisions when it's their nickel. Sounds like these new towers aren't too far off in terms of efficiency.

Of course the proof will be in the pudding when November/December rolls around. If they can make snow on more than one line on each mtn at any given time, then I'll be impressed. Until then, it's little more than window dressing.

HowieT2
10-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Sounds like they are even more efficient than the ones already in place on Ripcord etc... Just as interesting to me is the rebuild of the compressors. These two investments combined likely address some of the more visible bottlenecks in the system.

It's interesting that they have consistently foregone the opportunity to install fan guns. Obviously a lot of info we aren't privy to, so I trust them to make the right decisions when it's their nickel. Sounds like these new towers aren't too far off in terms of efficiency.

Of course the proof will be in the pudding when November/December rolls around. If they can make snow on more than one line on each mtn at any given time, then I'll be impressed. Until then, it's little more than window dressing.

Mmmm pudding! Can't wait for this awful month to end.
They're spending the money so there must be a reason they've chosen to go in this direction as opposed to the fan guns. Would love to know who the manufacturer is and what makes them so efficient.

Hawk
10-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Rebuilding compressors is a maintenance item that needs to be done. It is more for reliability. I wouldn't think that it boosts capacity that much unless they were in real bad shape or we were running in the past with less than full capacity meaning if we had 3 compressors and one or two were down. I do not know what they did so this is speculation. The other problem with our aging system is the loss of air within the network of piping up on the hill. I am sure maintenance spends a good deal of time chasing down air leaks and fixing them but you never get them all. Every time you hear a hissing noise from the side of the trail you will understand what I am saying. Maybe these new guns with their diminished air requirements helps the problem .

Again we will see. If they can blow a trail and cover it in 2 days with temps in the mid to low twenties then they will be at a level equal to other good snowmaking ski areas.

ManyTurns
10-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I was curious about the new snow guns and did a quick web search to see who makes them.

I found that there's a company in Natick, MA of all places. They have a web page: www.snowgun.com
I don't know if Sugarbush is buying equipment from these guys, but the site gives an idea as to what they might have bought.

By the way, they have a backyard snowmaker if you want to cover your backyard.

skiladi
10-24-2011, 10:25 AM
I was curious about the new snow guns and did a quick web search to see who makes them.

I found that there's a company in Natick, MA of all places. They have a web page: www.snowgun.com
I don't know if Sugarbush is buying equipment from these guys, but the site gives an idea as to what they might have bought.

By the way, they have a backyard snowmaker if you want to cover your backyard.

Sugarbush IS my backyard. ; }

Tin Woodsman
10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Rebuilding compressors is a maintenance item that needs to be done. It is more for reliability. I wouldn't think that it boosts capacity that much unless they were in real bad shape or we were running in the past with less than full capacity meaning if we had 3 compressors and one or two were down. I do not know what they did so this is speculation. The other problem with our aging system is the loss of air within the network of piping up on the hill. I am sure maintenance spends a good deal of time chasing down air leaks and fixing them but you never get them all. Every time you hear a hissing noise from the side of the trail you will understand what I am saying. Maybe these new guns with their diminished air requirements helps the problem .

Again we will see. If they can blow a trail and cover it in 2 days with temps in the mid to low twenties then they will be at a level equal to other good snowmaking ski areas.
Agreed. I guess I had assumed that there would be more than just maintenance benefit to rebuilding the compressors. Machines tend to not work as efficiently as designed over time. Then there is the possible reduction in outages you referenced.

As for the pipe, can't really help that much given the "quality" of the pipe ASC installed. Sounds like they tackled some of those spots as well based on Win's comments in the AZ challenge this year.

As you note, it only matters to the extent we see material improvements in output or coverage in sub-optimal temps.