PDA

View Full Version : Recent visits

Brew Ski
08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
The Mountain has been looking great in recent visits.
Gardens in the courtyard are in full bloom.
Lots of landscaping around the farmhouse and along the main walkway up to the gate house. The plethora of river birch sure look nice. I'd like to have seen some more Sugar Maples considering it IS Sugarbush, but there are at least a couple. And I guess they do get pretty big so they might overtake the views eventually.
Java the Hut was removed from the top of gatehouse lift. I guess to make the area look more natural for the wedding parties. The site was leveled and nice grass planted top and bottom of gate house lift and it sure looks lush right now.

CRP has my summer favorite "Chicken sandwich". If you haven't had it your missing out. Take a chicken thigh, hammer it flat, bread it and "bake" it under bacon and cheese, then put it on an artisan bun with fresh lettuce and tomato with a delicious spicy sauce, add a heap'n mound of properly cooked fries and a side of pickle, add a cold draught beer and you got a perfect post hike lunch. I've had close to 10 so far this summer. just can't seem to order anything else.

Found a doe leg on upper deeper sleeper trail. Looks like a coyote got to it and didn't finish the job. had characteristic gnaw marks on the bone. There are wild critters in them woods.

Lots of weddings. Some very attractive brides. The pubs should be making money. Actually saw a bride, in her very elegant gown, ride the zip line. Yup. Must have been one heck of a party with that crew.

River water is wonderful. Great swims with the dogs. Wish I could jump in every hot day. Quiet and relaxing.

Sandy Macy has been active on the scene. Said it has been a little quiet the last couple weekends, but we saw a lot of "regulars" so I guess everyone is just enjoying the outside and not just hanging around the base village.

1 bear, 1 bear cub, 2 moose, 1 coyote, 1 red fox, 2 giant snapping turtles, several wild turkey, a bunch of garter snakes and a few partridge...all hiking up gate house/Castlerock in the past few weeks.
Love the outdoors at Sugarbush.

It's gunna snow soon, right?

Nick
08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Wow, bride riding the zip line. I'd love to see a pic of that.

Yeah it's gonna snow soon!

skiladi
08-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow, bride riding the zip line. I'd love to see a pic of that.

Yeah it's gonna snow soon!http://www.sugarbush.com/content/photo-gallery.asp?pid=94&id=1443#

The pic is in the July gallery. I tried to link it here but no luck.

Nick
08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Lemme try :)

vonski
08-10-2011, 06:47 PM
coyote, maybe, but how about the elusive catamount that dont exist! There ws one killed in CT this summer and DNA showed it was a from the west some where, not sure how they decided it got out here. But all I still believe they are out there. I saw a pair of tracks at sugarbush a few years back that were so big no way were they bobcat nor were they snow shoe hares. Straight up a very remote and extremely steep pitch. the bound between the tracks was about 8 to 10 feet straight up an extremely straight pitch.of course no camera that day to take pictures, but I believe.

Yard Sale
08-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Haven't been up to VT since APRIL!!. Finally, gonna make it this weekend. Whole family and friends coming along. Gonna hike the ridge with the dogs. Drop in the Mad and/or Dog rivers and air out a little fly line. Maybe even raise a trout or two. eat some corn. Maybe even see a moose or two. (I'll bring my camera Howie.)

I can't freekin' wait. The only thing that could make it any better would be if it dumped oh 2 feet or so of August's finest pow pow. It'd probably be a little heavy, but still . . .

Hawk
08-11-2011, 06:55 AM
I saw tracks last year in the mud on the road from Village Run to Slide brook. I can not absolutely say is was definately a Catamount but they were much larger than tracks I have seen previously. I have have bob cat tracks pointed out to me before. These were twice as big!!!! Wish I had my camera.

Looks like I will not be up until the weekend of the 27th for Trail maintenence. Work has erupted once again so no time for VACA. Downhilling on Friday the 26th with friends.

ReefBum
08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Haven't been up to VT since APRIL!!. Finally, gonna make it this weekend. Whole family and friends coming along. Gonna hike the ridge with the dogs. Drop in the Mad and/or Dog rivers and air out a little fly line. Maybe even raise a trout or two. eat some corn. Maybe even see a moose or two. (I'll bring my camera Howie.)

I can't freekin' wait. The only thing that could make it any better would be if it dumped oh 2 feet or so of August's finest pow pow. It'd probably be a little heavy, but still . . .

Good luck with the fishing. I was up a few weeks ago and had a blast with the wild Brookies on the mountain.

shadyjay
08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
That CRP chicken sandwich is awesome... had one today for lunch after work. I call it "chicken awesome-ness".
Lots of wildlife has been around in past weeks. At the golf course, we've had several bear sightings, complete with cubs. I haven't spotted them personally, but have seen some deer on the fairways at dusk. Haven't seen a moose yet this year, but they've been spotted recently as well on the mtn.
The walkway from the Schoolhouse, up to the Farmhouse and Gate House definitely has come alive with landscaping. I assisted with moving some of the trees around.
Tis the season for weddings... the big one was yesterday, and there's more scheduled for this weekend.
Temps in the 40s possible for tonight and there are reports of some leaves already changing.

HowieT2
08-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Congrats Win and as my people say "mazel tov"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/fashion/weddings/lili-ruane-winthrop-smith-jr-weddings.html?ref=weddings