PDA

View Full Version : Slide Brook Trimming Weekend 8/27-28

Hardbooter
08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
From Craig Spear:

The Sugarbush, Slide Brook Trimming weekend will be held on August 27 and 28. If you are available to help maintain ski bands in Slide Brook please join us. We will be meeting at 9:30 AM both days at the bottom of the Super Bravo chair lift. We hope to get a ride to the top of the mountain and then work down from there.

Please bring our own lunch, liquids, cutting tools, first aid kit and be prepared for working in steep woods of Slide Brook. Contact me for more details.

Anyone over the age of 18 is invited, so please bring your friends. It is a great way to see the woods during the summer and you can scope out the best lines to ski next winter. Plus you and your friends from other mountains can get a voucher for their work. If you ski there you should consider helping to keep it safe and fun.

Hawk
08-02-2011, 06:46 AM
From Craig Spear:

The Sugarbush, Slide Brook Trimming weekend will be held on August 27 and 28. If you are available to help maintain ski bands in Slide Brook please join us. We will be meeting at 9:30 AM both days at the bottom of the Super Bravo chair lift. We hope to get a ride to the top of the mountain and then work down from there.

Please bring our own lunch, liquids, cutting tools, first aid kit and be prepared for working in steep woods of Slide Brook. Contact me for more details.

Anyone over the age of 18 is invited, so please bring your friends. It is a great way to see the woods during the summer and you can scope out the best lines to ski next winter. Plus you and your friends from other mountains can get a voucher for their work. If you ski there you should consider helping to keep it safe and fun.

Unfortunately, it will be just us once again HB. Everybody says they want to do it but when the time comes it is just the usual crew.

HowieT2
08-02-2011, 09:28 AM
From Craig Spear:

Unfortunately, it will be just us once again HB. Everybody says they want to do it but when the time comes it is just the usual crew.

Im working on making it up for that weekend. If I can, I'm in.

Hawk
08-18-2011, 06:41 AM
By the way, if you are planning on coming please bring loppers. Usually the swack/hobble brush is huge and we do not have enough people with loppers to efficiently take care of it. We always start out good but get tired of it because there are only a couple of people with loppers. If everybody had them it would go easier.

Just a thought.

HowieT2
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Got the loppers. unfortunately, the wifey just threw down the hammer and I have to be at my in laws that weekend, but hoping to make it up by noon on sunday.

Brew Ski
08-18-2011, 04:52 PM
I'll be up. Hopefully the weather will stay nice and not get too hot.

Many hands makes light work, but I fear that Hawk is right, just the usual few will probably make it.

Well, at least we will be the only ones who know where the well maintained lines are. Not to mention the secret lines, on the secret mountain, that we've been secretly maintaining for years and only the slidebrook crew knows about!!!!!

Yup, if you show up, you learn new secret lines at an off mountain secret place. But you gotta earn them, folks.

08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
From Craig Spear:

Craig,

Looking forward to the trimming weekend - I have xtra loppers, should I bring them for others?

Eric

Hawk
08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Excellent Eric! Bring them. We can always leave them in the car if everybody is all set. By the way I am down hilling on Friday with a few of the Bush faithful if anybody is interested.

Hardbooter
08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Yes, please bring any extra loppers and hand them out to anyone at the base that needs them. Also, make sure that any individual that gets one of your loppers knows that the are individually responsible for coming down the mountain with those loppers.

Also, some items to remember (just off the top of my head): hiking boots, work gloves, sun block, BUG SPRAY, a camelback and lunch. Some people really like long pants since you will spend the day hiking through thick brush. A hat is often useful. Prepare to get filthy and sweaty but we'll show you the secret beer keg location. We've always gotten a voucher for each day of trimming but they never guarantee this as far as I can tell.

See you all there.

smootharc
08-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Wouldn't want to miss out on nasty bug bites...sweaty, sticky nether bits...deep scratches....bear attacks...battling Brewski for first trimming lines....and now exposure to Bush Pilot and neighbor 610's legendary and ferocious methane emanations. Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend. I love this valley !!!

The alternative was my VIP invitation to the Obama's clambake on the Vineyard. I couldn't find my seersucker suit....

See you all this weekend.

Mr. Orange

P.S. The picture is of my lopper. Does anybody have a very long extension cord ?

Hardbooter
08-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I just got the word from Craig Spear: it looks like the mountain is taking over the slide brook trimming for the foreseeable future. They've already done work this summer. There seems to be some liability issue with all of us going in there.

A bunch of us are still planning to be up for the weekend. We're still having a pot luck deck party at club X-ta-ski on Saturday and I think a bunch of folks will be at the hide-away on Friday night.

It's a bummer that we find out the week before we were planning to go but it could be worse. We rarely have enough people to do a descent job anyhow so the trails should ski well next year.

Tin Woodsman
08-23-2011, 11:26 AM
I just got the word from Craig Spear: it looks like the mountain is taking over the slide brook trimming for the foreseeable future. They've already done work this summer. There seems to be some liability issue with all of us going in there.

A bunch of us are still planning to be up for the weekend. We're still having a pot luck deck party at club X-ta-ski on Saturday and I think a bunch of folks will be at the hide-away on Friday night.

It's a bummer that we find out the week before we were planning to go but it could be worse. We rarely have enough people to do a descent job anyhow so the trails should ski well next year.

Bummer. Damn lawyers.

HowieT2
08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Bummer. Damn lawyers.

hey! easy on the lawyers.

so i guess I can leave the loppers at home. anyone want to meet sunday afternoon for a beverage?

Treeskier
08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
See who wants to at the Hydeaway Friday night. 8:30-9:00

HowieT2
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
I do. will you do m a favor and explain to my wife and father in law that im blowing off his 75th birthday to have beers with some people I know from the internet. much appreciated. this should work out well for me.

08-23-2011, 04:28 PM
What a negative... will be up this weekend to hike the lines and see what was done (if anything...). Will try to stop by the Hydeaway to introduce myself...

Hawk
08-24-2011, 07:17 AM
This is crap. Liability my ass. Who in this group is going to sue doing this kind of activity?

Brew Ski
08-24-2011, 08:27 AM
The bugs and the bears are threatening to sue for personal injury they might sustain, due to the toxic blood they might consume from the years of self abuse portrayed by the Bush Pilots.

Well, let's hope JA supervised the slidebrook cutting done by the mountian and that they remembered to "cut'm flush". Any 6" stumps left around will certainly cause an ugly revolt from this crowd. We certainly never left any dangerous stumps sticking up. I wonder if they also mowed all that nasty hobblebush? Think they actually made it to the base? I'd guess with power tools they probably had energy to "finish the job". Good thing too becuase the bottom 200 yards of all three of the "sanctioned" trails were really in need of some maintenence.

With all of us plaanning to be up there with hiking equipment and no slidebrook to maintain, what the heck are we supposed to do????
C U at the hyde away.

Hawk
09-16-2011, 08:15 AM
So did anybody get a chance to inspect the work the mountain did? Did they do a good job?