PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 Season Post-Mortem

HowieT2
05-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Noski-you working on getting some apache helicopters for the July 4 flyover?

Now that the season is officially over, the slopes as well as the web sites have turned green, lets talk about the season that was and the future. At least lets try.

My personal observations.
Although my use of the new buildings was limited, they look great and seem to have been well received. Our guests who used the ski school and/or rentals were impressed. Although the cafe is great, it doesn't do much to relieve crowding in the GH. more about that later.
The walk from the parking lot is definitely better. The car drop off worked well (except for the weekend lexus set up there). Kudos to Harry and the ambassadors.
Curious as to whether SV was satisfied with the heated walkway. There did seem to be more ice on it than I expected.
The new provisions store needs some work in terms of merchandising.

From my observations of the parking lots, it seems that skier visits were up considerably. Also, the GH cafeteria was consistently crowded on weekends and not just on the big holiday weekends. The additional skiers did not have a measurable impact on lift lines or crowding on the slopes.
Mechanical lift holds were way down compared to the past. I can only recall one day at LP when it was an issue.
They made a lot more snow this season than in the past. Was this because of the new pipes, nozzles, determination or some combination of the three???
The slidebrook lift seems to be running less often. whatever.

The blazer program continued its march to be more corporate/psia and less fun for the kids. While this is necessary to some extent, some of the better coaches are being pushed out and there is a danger of crossing the line, getting too technical/safe and not as much fun. Needs to be monitored. However, the communication/social aspects were much improved.

What needs to be addressed:
There needs to be additional cafeteria seating. Don't know where it is going to come from but the GH is packed consistently now every weekend. Encouraging the blazers groups to eat at the VH on saturdays is helpful, but not sufficient. Also, I would have thought that with the removal of the ticket office from the GH, the guest services desk and sugartube closet would be moved into the vacated space to provide more room in the lobby.

Still lobbying for replacement of the VH double. Old, dangerous terminus.

Fix up the Gables/CR warming hut. Too much potential to see it in its current state.

Personally, I had a great season until my knee gave way. almost 3 weeks post op now and doing great so I'm guardedly optimistic I'll be skiing when the lifts start turning again. May even get some mtn biking in by August.

Tin Woodsman
05-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Great topic. Wonder what others thought about the season. What worked? What didn't work? Areas for improvement? Areas for "don't change it lessen you want to brawl"?

castlerock
05-28-2011, 07:05 AM
What needs to be addressed:
There needs to be additional cafeteria seating. Don't know where it is going to come from but the GH is packed consistently now every weekend. Encouraging the blazers groups to eat at the VH on saturdays is helpful, but not sufficient.

The answer to this is BENCHES....We'd get 1.5 X the number of folks per table, And probably be able to put 10-20% more tables in the GH lodge. Simple....

ski_resort_observer
05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Go/meet/eat in the Valley House Lodge or go to GH during non-peak time of the day on the weekends....even simplier.

shadyjay
05-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Agreed - Valley House's cafeteria is almost never crowded, and even if the upstairs is, there's always the lower room for overflow seating. Its where I always have my lunch if I'm in the base area on weekends.

I believe with the new pipe and replacement of the booster station (formerly the HG Warming Hut), the ability was there to make more snow, and it definitely seemed that more snow was made this year than last year. Of course we had limited thaws (January thaw occured Dec 31-Jan 1/2) and the spring temps didn't really arrive until mid April. Remember the 09/10 season, there were near 60 degree days in March and almost no snow from 3/1, on. During 10/11, we had a few substantial snow events after 3/1... that helped.

Slide Brook didn't open until mid January IIRC, same time as Castlerock. Remember it can't open unless all the following conditions are met: snowpack in the basin is enough to accomodate evacuations, temps are at least 10 degrees (I think its 10 - already in summer mode - so I may have forgotten already), and the wind is not blowing in such a way as to affect the chairs. We definitely had some windy days and some cold days once it opened.

Of course we had wind holds throughout the season, several of them occurring just after Christmas. There's not much that can be done about that and are subject to Ma' Nature. There were a few strange wind hold days when all lifts were open EXCEPT Bravo. That was weird - especially while working the top of HG and seeing noone getting on or off Bravo on a Saturday. Mtn winds can have some interesting patterns and directions and top of Bravo is on the top of its own peak - really noticeable when looking down on it from HG.

I went into the Farmhouse I think once and never ventured inside the Schoolhouse. The new buildings/plaza bring a more complete and formal look to the entrance to the resort... a lot more so than a double-wide trailer, mobile "home", and a big tent.

Hope everyone had a good season!

HowieT2
05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Go/meet/eat in the Valley House Lodge or go to GH during non-peak time of the day on the weekends....even simplier.

sage advice. i do brunch early at the gh and that works fine but the crowding issue is more about the "tourist" guests and they arent going in at 11-11:30.

the bench idea might work but im no seating designer.

any thoughts on expanding Alyn's?

southvillager
05-30-2011, 10:30 AM

We now go to the Valley House when it is crowded. I have to think that a coat of paint and new furniture would be a cost effective upgrade. The Mushroom could be reactivated, I used to always go there. There is quite a lot of untapped potential in that building. The bar that was in the lower level (the bathroom level) used to do a lot of business.

Yard Sale
05-31-2011, 10:23 AM

We now go to the Valley House when it is crowded. I have to think that a coat of paint and new furniture would be a cost effective upgrade. The Mushroom could be reactivated, I used to always go there. There is quite a lot of untapped potential in that building. The bar that was in the lower level (the bathroom level) used to do a lot of business.

Agreed.

On the Blazer program: It's a good program, don't get me wrong, but I'm not a fan of all the PSIA Mandated Drills for this format. IMHO The Blazer Program is not/should not be a competitive curriculum. Obviously, there should be some ski instruction, but it is a recreational program that should be used as a vehicle to spread the love of skiing and being in the woods.

Less Drills = More Skiing = More Fun = More Skiing.

gostan
05-31-2011, 03:36 PM

We now go to the Valley House when it is crowded. I have to think that a coat of paint and new furniture would be a cost effective upgrade. The Mushroom could be reactivated, I used to always go there. There is quite a lot of untapped potential in that building. The bar that was in the lower level (the bathroom level) used to do a lot of business.But, most of us use the bootroom on the second floor of GH and leave our lunches in our bags for retrieval later on when hunger strikes; so VH is not a real viable option. Of course, on real crowded Saturdays, many of us who carried our lunches in our packs or jackets, never made it back to GH at all; but our sandwiches were gone well before lunchtime. :!:

HowieT2
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
There has got to be more bitching than this. No one has commented on the snowmaking. Tin?...Tin?.... Bueller?... Bueller?

muddy_hollow
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
I thought the snow was excellent all season long and thought Win and co. did an outstanding job with snow making. We skied just over 40 days this year and there isn't much to complain about, BUT (there's always a but) gatehouse is a crazy place on the weekends to find a seat and the CRP is always way to loud to have a conversation so we spent more time in Timbers. I would venture to say this was a bumper year for the bush in terms of day passes. If the volume continues to grow in the years to come, I would hope to see VH redone to take up some of the overflow or dreaming here maybe a new mid-mountain lodge with a better cafe and gondola service! Ya Gondolas need to come back and not those tiny jobs either, the big ones that hold 30 people at time like you see in the James Bond movies....

Hawk
06-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I also think that there was a crowding issue at lunch time this year. If the resort continues to gain in popularity then that will be the norm. There are always ways around it. Most of my lunches were earlier or later to get away from the crowds. I also hit Mutha Stuffers a bunch and basically sat there with only 3 or 4 other people each time. Yup we just call it in on the lift and it's there waiting for us when we get there. :wink:

If you think the snow making was great this year then you don't know what "great" snow making is. Everybody knows my thoughts on this.

Natural snow and woods this year were great. Skied everywhere and then some. I have to thank the Friday afternoon ski club. Learned a good deal this year from them. :wink: The only down point I can add was that new areas that were opened up and publicized were skied down to the dirt on most days. As the season went on it got a little better but it will never be the same as before. :(

Lifts seem to run pretty good this year. Not that many mechanical and wind hold days.

...and finally my best redux of the season......look closely and you will see several frequent Sugarbush skiers........

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7138266/Chapter2.mpg

teleo
06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I also hit Mutha Stuffers a bunch and basically sat there with only 3 or 4 other people each time. Yup we just call it in on the lift and it's there waiting for us when we get there.
Always wondered why more people don't do this. And why he doesn't advertise it. It is never crowded when I go past.

The only down point I can add was that new areas that were opened up and publicized were skied down to the dirt on most days. As the season went on it got a little better but it will never be the same as before. :(

Always happens when things are put on the map :cry:

HowieT2
06-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I also think that there was a crowding issue at lunch time this year. If the resort continues to gain in popularity then that will be the norm. There are always ways around it. Most of my lunches were earlier or later to get away from the crowds. I also hit Mutha Stuffers a bunch and basically sat there with only 3 or 4 other people each time. Yup we just call it in on the lift and it's there waiting for us when we get there. :wink:

If you think the snow making was great this year then you don't know what "great" snow making is. Everybody knows my thoughts on this.

Natural snow and woods this year were great. Skied everywhere and then some. I have to thank the Friday afternoon ski club. Learned a good deal this year from them. :wink: The only down point I can add was that new areas that were opened up and publicized were skied down to the dirt on most days. As the season went on it got a little better but it will never be the same as before. :(

Lifts seem to run pretty good this year. Not that many mechanical and wind hold days.

...and finally my best redux of the season......look closely and you will see several frequent Sugarbush skiers........

Ok, I don't know great snowmaking, so what was it that was lacking?

also, couldn't access the video.

Mutha stuffers and the rest of the SB village suffers from the void that is that parking lot. It breaks up the continuity of the base.

castlerock
06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I also hit Mutha Stuffers a bunch and basically sat there with only 3 or 4 other people each time. Yup we just call it in on the lift and it's there waiting for us when we get there.
Always wondered why more people don't do this. And why he doesn't advertise it. It is never crowded when I go past.

I'd guess is that the Mountain won't sell advertising to a competitor, but I don't know. And as for never crowded, I'm not so sure, I've learned to definitely order ahead as it gets busy. (as it deserves to). Deano makes the best lunch on the mountain, to my taste. And he has beer!

Hawk
06-03-2011, 08:12 AM

Mutha stuffers and the rest of the SB village suffers from the void that is that parking lot. It breaks up the continuity of the base.

Howie, I can't regergitate this again. Simple version: Blowing wet mud out of 2/3's of the guns on 1 trail at a time is not Great snow making. When we have a Thaw-Freeze event next winter, I will pay for your ticket to come with me to a place that is one of the best. Then you will see what I am talking about. You have my word that you will be impressed.

HowieT2
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Howie, I can't regergitate this again. Simple version: Blowing wet mud out of 2/3's of the guns on 1 trail at a time is not Great snow making. When we have a Thaw-Freeze event next winter, I will pay for your ticket to come with me to a place that is one of the best. Then you will see what I am talking about. You have my word that you will be impressed.

I could use a good regurgitation. In fact my doctor prescribed it for my rehab. Without regurgitation, I'll be left to doing my work.

In all seriousness, while I would have liked to see more snow made early in the season to get more trails open sooner, it seemed to me, it was better than in the past and, comparing the trail count to other mountains, not significantly lagging. But, please correct me if I'm wrong.
As far as the quality of the snow that was made, I have no way of evaluating that.