PDA

View Full Version : There might be an April Fools storm (really)

Hardbooter
03-29-2011, 10:26 AM
It seems like most of the models are pushing it out to sea but some are not. Keep your eye on this during the rest of the week.

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2011/400x266_03291429_stormpotential.jpg

noski
03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Just great. Flying into Newark late morning Friday. I am going to pay for all this sun and sand.....

edit- and SB has hit the 293" I predicted last fall. :-)

Treeskier
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Looking Good
http://clubxtaski.com/Weather_110329.jpg

gostan
03-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Looking Good
http://clubxtaski.com/Weather_110329.jpgRemember that I guaranteed you a heavy snow event when I booked my April 1st flight to Sanibel. :D

HowieT2
03-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Resized to 90% (was 780 x 584) - Click image to enlarge

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
358 AM EDT WED MAR 30 2011

NYZ028>031-034-035-VTZ001>012-016>019-302100-
/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.A.0008.110401T0600Z-110402T0600Z/
EASTERN CLINTON-SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-
WESTERN CLINTON-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-GRAND ISLE-
WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-
CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-
WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-
EASTERN RUTLAND-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PLATTSBURGH...STAR LAKE...
SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...
PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...
NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...
ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES... BRADFORD...
RANDOLPH...RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...
ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...
EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON
358 AM EDT WED MAR 30 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE FRIDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE FRIDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...AND THE
NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL. SNOW MAY BE MIXED
WITH RAIN AT TIMES FRIDAY AFTERNOON ACROSS THE LOWER ELEVATIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS LOWER ELEVATIONS
AND 7 TO 14 INCHES ABOVE 1000 FEET.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THURSDAY NIGHT FROM THE
SOUTH AND BECOME TO MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES DURING FRIDAY
BEFORE TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS FRIDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS AND POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES
DUE TO WET SNOW...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH ON FRIDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S ON FRIDAY.

Hardbooter
03-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Let's hope it slides a little north of this picture.

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2011/300x200_03311436_snowfallne.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/47779/april-fools-snowstorm-is-no-jo.asp

From accuweather: 'more accumulation will occur over the "colder" ridges and hilltops, as opposed to the "warmer" valleys. This is why we refer to this as an "elevation storm."'

I'm going to follow our house rule on this one: "Ski in it, don't drive in it." I'll be on the hill Friday morning.

Hardbooter
03-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Another note at the end of that accuweather piece:

Still Not the Last Snow?

Indications are that the volatile weather pattern will continue well into April. While the overall temperature trend will bring less intense cold, moderate cold could hook up with storms in such a way to bring yet more snow.

Yard Sale
04-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Web cam shows a bare roof on Gate House Lodge. I've been amped up for days. Has this been just an elborate April Fool's prank?

Still happily (tho maybe not quite as ecstatically) coming up to ski, but what gives?

Anyone on the ground up there or any of you weather bugs have any thing to share as to whether or not I should be rising at the crack of 9 tomorrow for first chair or not?

HowieT2
04-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Web cam shows a bare roof on Gate House Lodge. I've been amped up for days. Has this been just an elborate April Fool's prank?

Still happily (tho maybe not quite as ecstatically) coming up to ski, but what gives?

Anyone on the ground up there or any of you weather bugs have any thing to share as to whether or not I should be rising at the crack of 9 tomorrow for first chair or not?

The whole system went east. Looks like it's snowing although not accumulating on the webcam. Certainly not going to see what we expected this time yesterday. BTV is still calling for 4-8" but the way the radar looks, we'll be lucky to see that even.

summitchallenger
04-01-2011, 09:55 AM

It appears that you are finally coming to the realization that nobody controls the weather ;)

Also consider that the roof of the building, being a warm spot, will melt the snow.

And as for tomorrow why bother? Leave the tough skiing to me. ;)

Yard Sale
04-01-2011, 10:22 AM

It appears that you are finally coming to the realization that nobody controls the weather ;)

Also consider that the roof of the building, being a warm spot, will melt the snow.

That is a sobering depiction of reality. Luckily I'm wearing rose colored goggles. So I guess I'll see ya in line then :D .

Howie, thanks for keeping an eye on things even though you're banged up. Nice work! Heal fast and good.

HowieT2
04-01-2011, 10:30 AM

That is a sobering depiction of reality. Luckily I'm wearing rose colored goggles. So I guess I'll see ya in line then :D .

Howie, thanks for keeping an eye on things even though you're banged up. Nice work! Heal fast and good.

Truth be told, I've made the switch to spring baseball mode. But I have to keep an eye on things for the drive up tonight. Just because I'm on the DL doesnt mean the wife and kids aren't going to ski.

skiladi
04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
The snow blended very nicely on the slopes and slid very nicely off cars , roads and roofs. ; } Things were variable but all in all a nice ski day. Some woods were sweet , others a bit chunky. Tomorrow and beyond should be interesting.

HowieT2
04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
epic fail on the storm. nothing on the roads the whole way up until i hit west hill. maybe an inch at the house.

teleo
04-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Yeah, turns out this was a cruel April fools day joke. But hey, it's April, everything's open (except ME) with a deep base...

atkinson
04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
If sweet freshies equal epic fail, bring on the failure!

Hardbooter
04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
The only fail today was the snow report this morning. There was easily 6 inches on the top (on top of 3 from yesterday) and no one around to ski it. I got first tracks all over the mountain this morning. Looking for sun tomorrow. It's been a pretty awesome weekend so far.

Hawk
04-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Miss you guys this weekend. SR was fun and I had a really good run in the Bust -n- Burn. Tight turns, hands in front and I held a good line even after the 2 jumps. Excellent training condtions the past few weeks at the Bush meant everything.

Got to hook up with old friends and ski all the old woods lines that we created years ago. Soulds like the same condtions as the bush, about 6" on top of an edgeable base. I also ran in to long time Bush Skier and poster AHM on the lift by chance. He got me stoked for an AT purchase for next year. I have to demo early season and make a decision.

See you next weekend.