PDA

View Full Version : Open or Closed. April Schedule?

Treeskier
03-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Open or Closed. April Schedule? On the web site there are several Easter (April 24) events,which indicates open. But the rumor on the ground is that starting after Sunday April 17th Sugarbush will go to a weekend only open schedule. With Monday April 18th being Patriots' Day and that week being school vacation.

What are the plans for mid-week April 18-22?

I personally hope we are open. I really hope we stay open way into May or/un-till we run out of snow, even if it's only weekends after Easter.

Looks like a snowy week! Adding depth :)

Plowboy
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
What are the plans for mid-week April 18-22?

That week is school Vacation here.

noski
03-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Mt. Ellen closing this Sunday (no change).

LP will be open daily through 4/17. As that weekend approaches the conditions will be assessed in order to make a determination for the school vacation week. In recent years, LP has been open for that week if conditions allowed.

Though the "planned" closing date is 4/17, assessments will also be made regarding weekend service on an ongoing basis from that point.

Beginning 3/28, hours of operation will be midweek 10-5 and weekends 9-5, allowing time for snow to soften prior to opening. Updates on conditions and schedules will be posted as they are determined.

Your humble servant,

gostan
03-21-2011, 09:56 AM
As Tree indicates, Monday April 18th is Patriots Day, which is a legal holiday here in Massachusetts. I know that many of us Massachusetts season tix holders would hope, request, ask, suggest, etc...........that LP be open on that Monday, as we will all be skiing that weekend. To be up for the weekend and have the mountain closed on Monday (assuming that there is sufficient snow) would be a "down" way to end what has been a fab season for all of us Sb supporters from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Treeskier
03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Not to mention that April 22 is good Friday. Another holiday that lots of people have off.

sgottmann
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Not to mention that April 22 is good Friday. Another holiday that lots of people have off.

School vacation week here in NY. I know my family is hoping the mountain stays open through Easter if conditoins permit.

win
03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
If we can, we will.

To clarify next week's schedule. Bravo opens at 10am and closes at 5pm on weekdays and 9am and 5pm respectively on weekends. All other lifts run 10am to 4pm just like last year. Gate House cafeteria opens 30 minutes before the lifts and Sunrise cafe opens at 8:30am everyday.

Pond skimming and Chez Henri race this Saturday and final BBQ at ME this Sunday.

Xskier
03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Its a very early closing for Mt Ellen this year especially with all the snow. Isn't it usually open until atleast the first weekend in April?

Hawk
03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Its a very early closing for Mt Ellen this year especially with all the snow. Isn't it usually open until atleast the first weekend in April?

It was the same weekend last year I think. Might have been even earlier. We had warm rainy weather is all I remember.

win
03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
We have closed the last Sunday in March the past few years, and we put this out at the beginning of the season and in all ME pass confirmations. Unfortunately, the demand for skiing and riding dries up after this weekend to the point where having two separate base areas and mountains doesn't work financially. However, as we have in the past several years, we will try to keep as much of LP open through Easter weekend and perhaps longer.

It frustrates me that people are so eager to ski in November and December and pass on the wonderful month of April.

HowieT2
03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
We have closed the last Sunday in March the past few years, and we put this out at the beginning of the season and in all ME pass confirmations. Unfortunately, the demand for skiing and riding dries up after this weekend to the point where having two separate base areas and mountains doesn't work financially. However, as we have in the past several years, we will try to keep as much of LP open through Easter weekend and perhaps longer.

It frustrates me that people are so eager to ski in November and December and pass on the wonderful month of April.

My season is over. torn acl on Sunrise sunday morning. So I am most eager to ski November and December. This weekend is looking great though. enjoy some for me.

win
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
HowieT2,

Sorry to hear about that especially with the weeks we have left. See you on the slopes in November!

HowieT2
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
HowieT2,

Sorry to hear about that especially with the weeks we have left. See you on the slopes in November!

Thanks. You will see more beforehand. I want to use this as an opportunity to drink more at the crp. The way I look at this, it was inevitable and as much as I'll miss the next few weeks, end of march is a pretty good timing. I did fall just shy of my 40 day goal. Not bad for an employed New Yorker.

Hawk
03-23-2011, 01:32 PM

My season is over. torn acl on Sunrise sunday morning. So I am most eager to ski November and December. This weekend is looking great though. enjoy some for me.

Howie!!!!!#*@! That really sucks dude. I can feel your pain as I went through that also a while back. Wishing you a quick recovery. Do the PT hard and get on the bike. Good Luck.

HowieT2
03-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Howie!!!!!#*@! That really sucks dude. I can feel your pain as I went through that also a while back. Wishing you a quick recovery. Do the PT hard and get on the bike. Good Luck.

You seem to be skiing pretty well post injury so that makes me optimistic. The only person I know who didn't have a good recovery was a guy who didn't work it hard.

Hawk
03-23-2011, 02:09 PM

You seem to be skiing pretty well post injury so that makes me optimistic. The only person I know who didn't have a good recovery was a guy who didn't work it hard.
I had a great orthopedic Doctor that has done many a famous knee. He came in first day and ask what my goals were. I told him I wanted to ski at the same level and he said there is no reason that I couldn't if I worked hard. A good PT guy and hard work are crutial. I also skied at 75% the first 1/2 year after to be safe. All in all the knee is solid and I only have a few aches on cold rainy days. ;-)

shadyjay
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
From today's snow report:

HOT OFF THE PRESS: Lincoln Peak 'official' closing date extended to allow daily operation through Sunday, April 24th...with dates beyond, as conditions allow, TBD!

Treeskier
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Brilliant!

This should help with my 70+ day goal. (56 so far)

Hopefully a soft powder weekend coming up.

vonski
03-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Friend of mine cracked her Tibia on Saturday on Domino trying to ski the hard bumps. Good luck healing and you should be fine. Friend of mine is on his second knee ACL and has been fine with other knee since surgery. He rides a board and also rides dirt bikes. So, you will heal and be back!

gostan
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Win may want to think about postponing this Saturday's scheduled pond skimming event. A high of 27 degrees might allow for some ice skimming, but it is definitely going to help prolong/extend our ski season. Long term forecast is for below normal temps for the next week & a half.

vonski
03-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Win may want to think about postponing this Saturday's scheduled pond skimming event. A high of 27 degrees might allow for some ice skimming, but it is definitely going to help prolong/extend our ski season. Long term forecast is for below normal temps for the next week & a half.
A few years ago, it was 22 degrees. The water was warmer than the air. I think they said they would delay it if it was less than 20 degrees.

win
03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Pond skiimming is on. We are already building the pond, and I will be the first across. It looks like the sun will be out and thus a nice day Saturday as well as Sunday.

teleo
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
...I will be the first across.

Across or IN?

Someone had to ask...

Xskier
03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I had a great orthopedic Doctor that has done many a famous knee. He came in first day and ask what my goals were. I told him I wanted to ski at the same level and he said there is no reason that I couldn't if I worked hard. A good PT guy and hard work are crutial. I also skied at 75% the first 1/2 year after to be safe. All in all the knee is solid and I only have a few aches on cold rainy days. ;-)

Any recommendations for a good knee replacement doctor that will replace with a knee that is geared towards skiing? I am sick of being on the sidelines for 9 years now and really want to ski again. I've been told I am too young, was 34 at the time and now 43. Potentially need a double knee replacement or at the very least 1 knee replaced and 1 knee totally reconstructed. I am tired of being bitter person in the winter.

Xskier
03-24-2011, 03:24 PM

I don't get it either. April when the weather is nice is the best time to ski and ride. I see it at my house too. Only a handful of people will come up after pond skimming weekend. That is why it needs to be pushed back a few weeks :)

HowieT2
03-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Any recommendations for a good knee replacement doctor that will replace with a knee that is geared towards skiing? I am sick of being on the sidelines for 9 years now and really want to ski again. I've been told I am too young, was 34 at the time and now 43. Potentially need a double knee replacement or at the very least 1 knee replaced and 1 knee totally reconstructed. I am tired of being bitter person in the winter.

seriously?

I'm having a sale on a used 43 year old knee. If you're interested I can show you my MRI come monday.

HowieT2
03-24-2011, 03:50 PM

I don't get it either. April when the weather is nice is the best time to ski and ride. I see it at my house too. Only a handful of people will come up after pond skimming weekend. That is why it needs to be pushed back a few weeks :)

From a family perspective, the kids spring sports pick up in April so that may be why.

castlerock
03-25-2011, 07:00 AM

http://www.isporttraining.com/

atkinson
03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
The main reason Pond Skimming is done in the end of March/beginnning of April is snow. If we waited until mid-April, the likelihood of having enough stockpiled to make a decent pond is much lower. We like clear water and a massive pond!

As for getting people here later in the season, we are slowly turning the tide, but other activities like Howie mentioned are a constant distraction. Perhaps we should just cut all school spring sports to help with stretched school budgets. It would be a Win-win ... ;)

John

castlerock
03-25-2011, 07:17 AM
The main reason Pond Skimming is done in the end of March/beginnning of April is snow. If we waited until mid-April, the likelihood of having enough stockpiled to make a decent pond is much lower. We like clear water and a massive pond!

As for getting people here later in the season, we are slowly turning the tide, but other activities like Howie mentioned are a constant distraction. Perhaps we should just cut all school spring sports to help with stretched school budgets. It would be a Win-win ... ;)

John

I'd rather have the unseasonable cold this weekend then MLK, but, It could give the term "zipper crust" a new meaning if it freezes the pond a bit.

summitchallenger
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Re: Mount Ellen Closing early.

I understand that there is a drop off in traffic, but I think that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy because (1) there is little advertising for ME; (2) there at until recently least has been too much focus in snow reports and marketing on only one side; (3) folks just don't know about it.

From where I sit ME is a real asset and offers potential for some good profits/revenues because it is a big mountain, has great lifts, great terrain to handle crowds and great snowmaking infrastructure, and only has one lodge/base facility to operate and maintain. Less staff is need to run it. A real great set up, especially considering what work was done there in the early 1990's. Does it have Castlerock? No. But it is much better set up to handle crowds and can be easily operated with less staff and even less lifts if needed.

So yeah I am biased. I really like Mount Ellen a lot and choose to ski there. But I think that it can really be a great product/option and Sugarbush has done a better job targeting it to a great market (local families and skiers). Just keep it up and take it to the next level...why not $40 lift tickets on weekdays? Why not give it a separate web page? It is something that can work for you. :)

Xskier
03-25-2011, 10:56 AM

seriously?

I'm having a sale on a used 43 year old knee. If you're interested I can show you my MRI come monday.

I'll take it. I was bone on bone at age 34. They did an HTO on my left knee (cut tibia 90% of the way thru and pry it open 6 degrees, this puts my weight on the outside where i still have some cartilage left, insert plate with spacer and 4 2" lag bolts and artificial bone so the new pie shaped space will fill in with real bone), I have no PCL (they typically won't repair this unless you are really young), partially torn MCL and ACL and no cartilage at all in my knee cap. When i had my HTO surgery, during double knee surgery, they discovered this on both knees and did a patela debridement (poked holes in the knee cap so it would bleed and that creates a pseudo cartilage) which made things a lot worse. Oh and this is my good knee, but I am on borrowed time before it needs to be replaced. 9 years ago they said i had 5-8 years before knee replacement. I could barely walk for years so I am happy with just biking but i want to ski again. how much for your knee?
Sorry to hear about your knee. It sucks, trust me, but you will be back out there next year. Good luck with the surgery and recovery.

Xskier
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Would you recommend these guys vs say going into Boston? I would think the best doctors are in Boston but maybe the docs based in VT are more geared towards Skiers. I had some really bad docs through my whole ordeal. Thanks!!

castlerock
03-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Would you recommend these guys vs say going into Boston? I would think the best doctors are in Boston but maybe the docs based in VT are more geared towards Skiers. I had some really bad docs through my whole ordeal. Thanks!!

These folks come recommended by a local weekender, a medical professional, who lives in (greater) Boston, and travels to Rutland for care. According to him, Pro athletes, including Euro premier league types visit this clinic. Big time sports centric approach. This guy is a physical nut and a perfectionist, he wouldn't settle for second rate anything.

Xskier
03-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I will definitely check them out. I would like to ski and hike again. Thanks again for the info!!

southvillager
03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
From a family perspective, the kids spring sports pick up in April so that may be why.

That is why our ski season is ending. Soccer and lacrosse games for the kids start in April.

Last Tracks
03-29-2011, 07:11 AM
You guys are missing the point. Mt. Ellen isn't closed.

You can rent out the whole resort for 1800.00 a day.

summitchallenger
03-29-2011, 08:24 AM

Yeah, that is a bit much.

Skinning is always an option.

win
03-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately, history shows that the total demand for skiing in the month of April is not more than one good midwinter Saturday. Price does not drive demand this time of year. That said, I want to keep LP going and we have a lot of good skiing left.

Last Tracks
03-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Yeah, that is a bit much.

Skinning is always an option.

its actually less than 100.00/ person if you have a full group and the reality is that your not really welcome skining at Mt. Ellen.

MRG - skin it, you can!

noski
04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Here's the word:

LP will operate, daily through April 24 and then as that date draws closer, a determination will be made regarding the ongoing operation schedule.