PDA

View Full Version : Best trails in New England

muddy_hollow
02-26-2011, 06:44 AM
On Boston.com today, amongst many others Sugarbush's Organgrinder made the list.

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/gallery/Ski_trails_2011?pg=12

kcyanks1
02-27-2011, 11:46 AM
On Boston.com today, amongst many others Sugarbush's Organgrinder made the list.

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/gallery/Ski_trails_2011?pg=12

I've only skied a few of the runs they mentioned, but I don't think any of them are among the best in New England or even their own ski areas. Just at Sugarbush South, I prefer Paradise, all four main Castlerock trails, Mall, Twist, Moonshine, and Morningstar to Organgrinder.

HowieT2
02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
another example of why you cant believe what you read in the paper.

btw-skiing today was even better than yesterday. crowds were light and so was the snow.

summitchallenger
02-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Three glaring problems with this article: Le Massif is NOT in New England. Neither is Mont St. Anne! And strike three: Mont Tremblant. They are in Quebec. Unless we annexed Quebec this weekend they are wrong. But then again it is the Globe.

And Paradise, Rim Run, Lower FIS, Walt's Way, Jester, and Middle Earth are FAR more scenic IMHO than Organgrinder.

kcyanks1
02-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Three glaring problems with this article: Le Massif is NOT in New England. Neither is Mont St. Anne! And strike three: Mont Tremblant. They are in Quebec. Unless we annexed Quebec this weekend they are wrong. But then again it is the Globe.

Yeah, those points are better than the selection of trails. They can't even get the region right! Though people often (incorrectly) use New England to mean northeastern US (+Canada). As we all know, New England doesn't even include New York, but in any discussion of best trails/etc., there's no logical reason to omit New York areas.

summitchallenger
02-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I could not resist:

To the Editor:

As much as I enjoyed your feature, "New England's Signature Ski Trails, " (http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/gallery/Ski_trails_2011/), I was disappointed to see that the author and editor included three Quebec resorts in the list. Quebec is a Canadian Province and not in New England. It would have been better to feature other trails at other resorts in New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island) rather than throwing in three resorts that are not in the New England geographic area nor even close to New England. If the intent was to have the gallery cover the Northeast's Trails that would have been great, but it just makes the Boston Globe look silly if the author and/or editors do not know what constitutes "New England."

Thanks,

If the past is any indication I await a snarky response from the Globe telling me that I am wrong. Another reason why I don't read their newspaper.

Brew Ski
02-28-2011, 08:42 AM
I agree with everyone's comments. But to clarify a point of the author, she states that she only included runs that went top to bottom. That is why she picked OG over other great trails at Sugarbush I assume.

While OG is a great top to bottom run, I think I would choose Jester as a favorite top to bottom run. It provides great views, many different aspects to the mountain, it is a fun trail to cruise with family or friends, the hairpin turns up top add a bit of extra excitement especially if you are using a high edge angle on your skis, and the lower sections give you an ooportunity to use avoidance manuevers, look around for fun features on the sides to play with and give you a chance to view down the conditions on many of LP other trails. It is a great way to scout the mountain for the best conditions. Just a thought.

kcyanks1
02-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I agree with everyone's comments. But to clarify a point of the author, she states that she only included runs that went top to bottom. That is why she picked OG over other great trails at Sugarbush I assume.

While OG is a great top to bottom run, I think I would choose Jester as a favorite top to bottom run. It provides great views, many different aspects to the mountain, it is a fun trail to cruise with family or friends, the hairpin turns up top add a bit of extra excitement especially if you are using a high edge angle on your skis, and the lower sections give you an ooportunity to use avoidance manuevers, look around for fun features on the sides to play with and give you a chance to view down the conditions on many of LP other trails. It is a great way to scout the mountain for the best conditions. Just a thought.

Fair point. I think that she was willing to combine different trails though to achieve top to bottom? Also, is it only top to bottom if it goes off of the highest peak, or does any peak count? I guess even though it is a peak, the lower mountain trails I named (Mall, Twist, Moonshine) are a stretch to count as top to bottom. Castlerock trails maybe I can argue, since that is a real peak. Paradise to anything on the flats beats Organgrinder :-) I actually agree Jester is probably a nicer trail many times. While I generally go for the challenge, the turns on Jester can be fun, and Organgrinder doesn't have much character and often isn't in the best of conditions (well, I say "often," but I hardly ski it!).

summitchallenger
02-28-2011, 09:29 AM

If that is true, then why did she pick the Cannon choice (Vista --> Bypass --> Avalanche or whatever other trails?) That is not a single trail.

Brew Ski
02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
If I read it correctly she said "runs" that go top to bottom not "trails". One might suspect that she meant the path from top to bottom and not an actual single named trail. But as everyone else here mentioned, she made some mistakes and the editor didn't (care to?) pick them up.

I wonder how much someone gets paid to right erroneous fluff pieces? That could be a fun job. Ski, then write something about what you did to get paid for it. Even if it paid my bar tab, it might be worth it! :)