PDA

View Full Version : You have to go to know ...

atkinson
02-17-2011, 04:00 PM
This whole week has been an exercise in faith. If you looked at the weather, you might be less than enthusiastic. But if you actually came to the mountain, you found incredibly good turns. I was not able to take full advantage of the fun, but between the runs I did and the reports from around the region, it was another notable week. The powder lasted right through today in north-facing shots.

There is snow on the backside of this warm-up, with up to 10 inches predicted through Monday night. Stay stoked!

John

Hawk
02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
We will be there John and will try to be as optimistic as you. I will say that as a precaution we threw our skis in for a tune when leaving on Sunday night. :wink: I guess if I don't have to use them I can use them in Chamonix next week. 8)

Enjoy the soft conditions tomorrow and rip one for us with the Friday afternoon crew. :wink:

shadyjay
02-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Got some great turns in today, some 20 runs. Sunrise and Ripcord were my "picks of the day". Snowball and Spring Fling/Racer's Edge were also really good! I also did "The Mall" which was quite firm. Mt Ellen was my original plan for today, but the conditions were really good at LP that I couldn't head to the other side.

HowieT2
02-17-2011, 08:26 PM
We will be there John and will try to be as optimistic as you. I will say that as a precaution we threw our skis in for a tune when leaving on Sunday night. :wink: I guess if I don't have to use them I can use them in Chamonix next week. 8)

Enjoy the soft conditions tomorrow and rip one for us with the Friday afternoon crew. :wink:

no doubt to have nice sharp edges for the upcoming classic new england conditions. what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger.

we've had this same scenario but with less base leading into presidents day weekend the last few years. fortunately each year by the end of the week, we were floating in sweet pow. either way, it beats the office.

enjoy the soft turns tomorrow. ill hold off on my helping of corn for another month or so.

Treeskier
02-18-2011, 08:25 AM
John,

I am seeing a classic pass holders weekend. The nah sayers say icy firm. But I like you see snow in the forecast and an even better locked in base. Plus it looks like a cold r*** and not a lot of it.

Back to my Snow Dance!

http://clubxtaski.com/110205_Post_Groundhog_Storm_web/photos/110206_0013.jpg

This year reminds me of 2001. After a very warm beach summer of 2000 it snow deep in 2001. That is when I originally found this shot. Looks like we may be in a 10 cycle.

gostan
02-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Whether the slopes for this holiday weekend are filled with pass holders, locals, weekend visitors or George & Abe themselves, all should not only do a dance for more snow, but pray that the predicted high winds for tomorrow do not become a reality.

Hardbooter
02-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm not fooled by all this positivity.

I have a rule: If I can hear my board then I shouldn't be on it.

I'm applying that rule this weekend. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.

HowieT2
02-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm not fooled by all this positivity.

I have a rule: If I can hear my board then I shouldn't be on it.

I'm applying that rule this weekend. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.

I wouldn't rule out the entire weekend. sunday may be ok.
I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and set myself up for the rest of the week.

HowieT2
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
from josh fox

Friday, February 18, 2011
Holday week looks much better
Saturday will bring a return to colder temperatures but the stars are aligning for a terrain induced powder event and perhaps one of the better ones we have seen this year. The return to colder temperatures will not eliminate either the low level moisture or instability. The key in these types of events which are is for a minimal amount of directional shear in the lower part of the troposphere and for a deep layer of instability extending hopefully ten thousand feet up in the atmosphere. Deep is a relative term because ten thousand feet would not be considered a deep thunderstorm cloud but such a layer in the winter can produce a large amount of perfect skiing powder. Saturday appears to be a day where all this can happen. Light to moderate snow should persist through a good chunk of the day and a fluffy 5-10 inches is very very possible. Such a snowfall would be very very very much needed in light of how firm the mountain will be as temperatures turn colder after the recent warmth.

Hardbooter
02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm still not fooled.

I see frozen granular death cookies and all but gatehouse on wind hold. Oh, wait, did I mention the crowds?

gostan
02-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm still not fooled.

I see frozen granular death cookies and all but gatehouse on wind hold. Oh, wait, did I mention the crowds?But, I thought that the wind never blows in the woods!

Treeskier
02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Here is proof of one of our community enjoying the past powder
http://clubxtaski.com/110211_14_Web/photos/044_110213_2.jpg

Hawk
02-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Sweet Tree! .......But I heard that guy is a real "Bird" brain to ski with. :lol:

shadyjay
03-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Bringing this back, it feels relevant after today's weather:

Original forecasts had the r@!# starting around Noon and continuing throughout the day. However, those who turned out (and there were more than I expected) were greeted to cloudy skies, some really nice soft snow for nice turns, comfortable temperatures, and, outside of a 5-10 minute period of light precip early on... nothing falling from the sky. The sun even tried to make an appearance, but it remained mostly cloudy throughout the day. High winds did keep the Heaven's Gate, North Lynx, Summit, and (after a brief operating period) Slide Brook at bay.

Sunday, things could be more interesting. If we get the snowfall that is forecasted, come Monday you hopefully won't be able to tell that any "immature" snow fell.

HowieT2
03-05-2011, 10:53 PM
today was great. the soft snow made everything ski nicely. even off piste.
the cr challenge was excellent. thanks for all the work to make it happen.

bummed i had to leave to come home for some obligations tomorrow. but i cant say im not looking forward to taking my first sunday morning in bed since thanksgiving. adios

summitchallenger
03-06-2011, 07:55 AM
today was great. the soft snow made everything ski nicely. even off piste.
the cr challenge was excellent. thanks for all the work to make it happen.

bummed i had to leave to come home for some obligations tomorrow. but i cant say im not looking forward to taking my first sunday morning in bed since thanksgiving. adios

+ 1 on yesterday. A real nice surprise.

win
03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Yesterday, the weather people once again got it wrong. What a great day of skiing and riding. Heavy rain today, though We closed ME. There were a number of bare spots showing up, and we did not want to put a groomer on the mountain to push snow around. All ME passholder can ski at LP today. We also closed Castlerock today to preserve it and the winds are howling at the summits so we have windholds on North Lynx and Heaven's Gate. However, the skiing in the rain is actually really nice on the groomed trails. The temps are falling later today, and we are expecting a foot (or more?) of snow later today and tonight. It will likely start out wet andheavy, but the temps are falling into the 20's so the later snow should be lighter. That is a perfect progression after the rain of today. After this the mountain will be 100% open tomorrow, and we should have great coverage everywhere. It could be a good hookey day.

atkinson
03-07-2011, 06:31 AM
When the boss says play hookey ...

Dear Win,

I have come down with the horrible powder flu that has been so rampant this winter. I will not be at work today. Cough cough.

John

p.s. See you there!

win
03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Ditto!

ski_resort_observer
03-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Shot this about 6:30AM, it's not the Valentines Day storm but it's pretty darn good!

http://www.snowjournal.com/images/gallery_snowjournal/4d75703cde8d4.jpg

teleo
03-07-2011, 09:11 PM
I will not be at work today. Cough cough.

I guess he wasn't kidding. No stoke :(

Can't believe my original plan was for this week as vaca but it got pushed to next week. Can someone order up another one for next week :lol: