PDA

View Full Version : Slidebrook Chair Mid Station

Chewbarka
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Just an idea, but a Slidebrook mid-station (well not quite mid) placed at the intersection of the traverse and the chair on Lincoln Peak would be a marvelous and inexpensive upgrade to making Sugarbush all the more awesome!

teleo
02-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Would be a cheap way to make that terrain more accessible. But then it would get skied out way quicker. Become just another pod on the mountain. Not sure that would be better. The way it is makes it a bit unique.

I don't think they can do it with the agreements ASC made for the rights to put that chair in anyways.
Sensitive bear habitat and all that.

Hawk
02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Ya, that's all we need. Let's dump hundreds more marginally qualified skiers into slidebrook. I also can't wait to wait 2 to 3 buses to get out. The traverse is just fine thank you. :wink:

Hawk
02-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Would be a cheap way to make that terrain more accessible. But then it would get skied out way quicker. Become just another pod on the mountain. Not sure that would be better. The way it is makes it a bit unique.

I don't think they can do it with the agreements ASC made for the rights to put that chair in anyways.
Sensitive bear habitat and all that.

Teleo, Cheap? That high speed quad is not a simple little peice of equipment. Think about it, you would have to basically create a completely new terminal at the top of a mountian. The reconfiguring the controls and getting power up there alone would be astonishing.

I like the lift above inverness idea better and you are definately right about the agreements that ASC made.

ahm
02-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Let's just continue to expand BC options, vs adding chairs. As utility costs continue to rise, some more human powered approaches may be the best bet. I was at Saddleback last Sunday and the bulk of the lifts were down. The 10" of fresh skied great off the summit and with skins I was able to make numerous laps with hardly any other skiers up there. HSQ's have all kinds of problems, so I think adding that to Slidebrook would be cost prohibitive, not too mention the permitting. As for above the I, clear it out if you can and access it by human power a la the Loaf's new terrain. Don't under estimate where your legs can take you vs you butt! :lol:

Chewbarka
02-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Ya, that's all we need. Let's dump hundreds more marginally qualified skiers into slidebrook. I also can't wait to wait 2 to 3 buses to get out. The traverse is just fine thank you. :wink:

But just think of all the business the hot dog stand could do while waiting for the bus!

summitchallenger
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Good idea but as said, (1) it is costly; (2) it would probably go against the land-use agreement in place with the GMNF; (3) it would encourage the wrong crowd.

Treeskier
02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I think we should leave Slidebrook as it is. Working great the way it is now. I would much rather see a chair up above Inverness and have access to that sunny bowl. Or if we really want to dream a chair off the back/west side where we often get different snow.

Looks like we may get a freshen up on Sunday :)

HowieT2
02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I think we should leave Slidebrook as it is. Working great the way it is now. I would much rather see a chair up above Inverness and have access to that sunny bowl. Or if we really want to dream a chair off the back/west side where we often get different snow.

Looks like we may get a freshen up on Sunday :)

with the exploding popularity of sidecountry skiing, the deal not to develop slidebrook is turning out to be a blessing.
and i kind of like having the area aboove inverness less accessable. now a chair on the western slope, that would be cool.

summitchallenger
02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately I doubt that we will see such a large scale ski area expansion in this state....

Hardbooter
02-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I think we should consider ourselves lucky to have what we've got. We lucked out and traded ASC for arguably the best ski area ownership/management in the east. The mountain is booming. We've got acres and acres of skiable terrain . Last year SB finished a comprehensive environmental agreement with the state.

I say, ski it while you can, it might not be this good forever.