PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day Storm observations and stories!

Treeskier
02-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Been dancing for a while now.
Heading up in a few minutes. Let use this thread for storm updates and stories! May they be BIG!

The picture I use under my post was taken on a midweek powder adventure just like this. The skier is going with me. That storm was waist deep!

sgottmann
02-01-2011, 09:10 AM
What's the local forecast? When is most of the snow going to hit? I can ski either Wednesday or Thursday and need some info.
Thanks

Hawk
02-01-2011, 09:13 AM
You are a total corksoaker!!!! :lol:

Rip it up Tree. Maybe I see you on Friday but I can not get work off right now with 10 days off later this month. I will be watching

Hardbooter
02-01-2011, 09:22 AM
What's the local forecast? When is most of the snow going to hit? I can ski either Wednesday or Thursday and need some info.
If you're local then I would ski Thursday since there is less chance of wind and all the snow will be on the ground by then. Since I'm driving from the Boston area, I'm going to try and go tonight while I can still get there and head back on Thursday night when the driving is reasonable again. (of course, I'll be back on the road friday night.)

ski_resort_observer
02-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I plucked down my 50 cents for 18-24" here at the Bush on Thursday morning in the snowstorm fantasy pool. :D

Hawk
02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks
Try this on. He does a nice job.

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/dy-no-mite-powerful-storm-on-tap-for-much-of-ny-vt-and-nh/

sgottmann
02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I am driving up from Albany area -- local mets are calling for at least 18 here. Could ski at Gore or S. Vt but is sweeter at the Bush. Only fear that you all will steal all the fresh.

If you're local then I would ski Thursday since there is less chance of wind and all the snow will be on the ground by then. Since I'm driving from the Boston area, I'm going to try and go tonight while I can still get there and head back on Thursday night when the driving is reasonable again. (of course, I'll be back on the road friday night.)

That is impressive dedication. Can't blow off Friday too?

atkinson
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
With a long storm like this, picking the best day is a challenge. Storm skiing is the freshest, and wind usually follows.

I say ski every day just to be sure.

John

p.s. Dumping straight down in Moretown. I'm going for a little front yard tour today, then ESGE training tomorrow. Big Wednesday!

sgottmann
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM

The best advice yet. Words to live by. Enjoy.

gpetrics
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM

haven't used this one in a while: ROTFLOL

Hawk
02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
So any observations on how much snow fell today?

atkinson
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
There's probably two inches at my house in Moretown at 1150' and it's been picking up for the last hour or so.

John

Plowboy
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
About 2" Near ME. light snow...15 F.....no wind....very quiet.....the calm before the storm. :D

HowieT2
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
radar looks to have thinned out. waiting for the main event.

gpetrics
02-01-2011, 02:33 PM
my understanding about this storm (or set of storms) is that today was merely a minor shortwave moving through behind some high pressure we had yesterday and this morning, and that the real coastal low doesnt even affect the region until late tonight

Hardbooter
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
today was merely a minor shortwave moving through behind some high pressure we had yesterday and this morning, and that the real coastal low doesnt even affect the region until late tonight
Yes, that's what I understand too which is why I'm driving from Cambridge after dinner. The forecasts are calling for lighter snow in the evening and overnight. The radar is showing a big gap right now too.

HowieT2
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM
my understanding about this storm (or set of storms) is that today was merely a minor shortwave moving through behind some high pressure we had yesterday and this morning, and that the real coastal low doesnt even affect the region until late tonight

I thought that todays precipitation was caused by warm air advection ahead of the low, but I don't really know what the heck im talking about.
BTW-anyone care to speculate about the system for saturday night-sunday. BTV mentions it in its forecast discussion but haven't seen any other talk about it.

atkinson
02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Some video from today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTGtbugOGM) in the MRV. We are in the lull now, but more to come!

John

Treeskier
02-02-2011, 07:24 AM
What I sent out to my friends:

It is looking, after reviewing the market forecast, that we may need a board* meeting on Wed. to be held first on the large wooden conference room table at or ski house followed by field trip to review the piling up assests. I suspect that we may need to divide the liquid assets amongst ourselves. To include reviewing the cool facts. Or is that face shots J

Writing from the ski house with many board members attending waiting for the lifts to open! ~ 5-6 inches on the cars in the driveway.

HowieT2
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Is it fair to assume by the lack of updates, that all of our intrepid reporters are busy collecting precise data from the field?

vonski
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
sleet and a coating of ice in central CT. not enough ice to make the snow tube go fast down the driveway! :lol: heading up Friday! Tumbler is skiing well per a friend getting the goods!

slaw
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Second hand from a friend in position. "SICK SICK SICK" "LAPS ON CR LIKE NEVER BEFORE"

shadyjay
02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Second hand from a friend in position. "SICK SICK SICK" "LAPS ON CR LIKE NEVER BEFORE"

I would definitely concur with that statement. I took a Domino to 5 runs on Castlerock, Murphy's to a spectacular Lower Birdland (!!), Birch, Sleeper, and such.

Outside of the ferocious winds at the very top of CR, it was a great day!

atkinson
02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't know about "laps on CR like never before", but it was great and continuing to improve. This batch seems dense and slabs are cracking impressively in untrodden areas.

You know it's good when the shoveling and roof raking start getting intense. Be careful of roof-alanches!

John

p.s. We are still blowing snow too! This may be the last day, but the piles on Fling and in the base area are like thirty feet deep.

vonski
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
p.s. We are still blowing snow too! This may be the last day, but the piles on Fling and in the base area are like thirty feet deep.

No, second round on Steins needed I guess! The webcam is cool! Being able to see the pile under the fan gun increase! and the blizzard like conditions on Spring Fling has been good stoke!

slaw
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
JA, my boy tends to get excited when its snows. I'm sure part of his passion lies in making me feel jealous and get my a$$ up there.

HowieT2
02-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Did heavens gate open at all today? would be a real shame if it didn't run 'till say....saturday morning.

Colorado Dirt
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
any update on totals? thanks!

gostan
02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Did heavens gate open at all today? would be a real shame if it didn't run 'till say....saturday morning.The only disappointment of the day.......but what a day it was. Well worth the 5 hour crappy drive from west of Boston late yesterday. :D

Plowboy
02-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Got about 8" to 10" near the base of ME not including the 3 from yesterday. My son skied all day. He said the Summit chair at ME was closed all day too.

win
02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I would say it was closer to a foot a the Summit, and we will likely get another 3-6" tonight. It looks like more could be coming over the weekend and then some more next week. Summit was on windhold but opened around noon. Heaven's Gate never got off windhold, so there should be some great powder on Spillsville, Paradise and Paradise Woods and the edge or Ripcord in the am. We took the Lincoln Limo up to the top and the wind was howling until you got down to Spillsville.

atkinson
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Good morning campers! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5O7HgTezo) The snow is still dumping, there's been at least four inches since I shoveled earlier this evening. It looks lighter and fluffier too.

John

Treeskier
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
What a powder fest. The lift line at opening was a good 100+ die hards. Got to open Gangster Grotto. Knee deep. As where most of the woods today. Good thick slippery snow! Soft. Have gotten a good 3+ inches since getting back to the house at 5:30. and Dumping!

Now for that groundhog. There is now way he saw his shadow! I even suspect he ended up in a tree well. I think I saw his tall stick out of one in Slidebrook.

I also will say the board meeting went well. Reviewing the liquid assets was fruit full. But suspect we will need to recheck our numbers in the morning.

Back to snow dancing!

Treeskier
02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Here are some pictures from the storm:
http://clubxtaski.com/110202_Groundhog_Day_Storm_web/photos/017_110202_1.jpg

http://clubxtaski.com/110202_Groundhog_Day_Storm_web/photos/015_110202_1.jpg

Can you tell me where this is?
http://clubxtaski.com/110202_Groundhog_Day_Storm_web/photos/008_110202.jpg

And it is snowing again!

HowieT2
02-08-2011, 07:38 AM
are those pictures from before saturday night?

sunday was off the charts great. i think there's a decent base in the woods right now.

Treeskier
02-08-2011, 09:03 AM
They where shot on Wed. and Thursday.

Yes got even better over the weekend as shown here:
http://clubxtaski.com/110205_Post_Groundhog_Storm_web/photos/110206_0001.jpg

Deep slowboarder :)

http://clubxtaski.com/110205_Post_Groundhog_Storm_web/photos/110206_0012.jpg

Yes I would say the woods are full.

http://clubxtaski.com/110205_Post_Groundhog_Storm_web/photos/110206_0004.jpg