PDA

View Full Version : This Weekend - 1/22-1/23

shadyjay
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Just a heads up for those skiing & riding this weekend:

* It WILL be COLD! Dress in layers, take breaks, and beware of frostbite. We're looking to not get out of the sub-zero range on Sunday, maybe just barely Saturday. And that's without any wind. Grab a hot chocolate at Allyn's or the Glen House or just go in to warm up.

* Downspout will be interesting. There are some fun whales and bumps and its looking like it won't get groomed tonight so that the snow sets up. Alternate way to Heaven's Gate via the Traverse off Lower OG/Lower Jester will be your best bet, and its looking like they are grooming the traverse (along with a few other "specials").

* Slide Brook is looking like it will not run due to the temps. You really do not want to be on a 2 1/2 mile long lift in these temps.

We'll be out in the temps all weekend. To paraphrase a past slogan for Sugarbush.... "Outside Everyday"

Enjoy the weekend!

aejkb
01-21-2011, 07:16 PM
thanks for the advice about "Deathspout".

shadyjay
01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
FYI - the info about Downspout not being groomed is taken from the official lift & trail report at http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/live-lift-status.

Things change, so check it out in the AM. Regardless, a groomed HG Traverse is a nice alternative (albeit with a little pole-ing), and always a good option on a busy day.

Hardbooter
01-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I plan to stop in to the new cafe to try out a hot beverage. I noticed that they have an espresso machine. Not the full italian job (that would cost $$$) but a machine none the less. I requested one on this very chat board so I feel obligated to try one. Since this weekend will make a witches t*t feel warm and toasty, now is the time.

BTW, for anyone who is not a woods skier but wants to be... one of the nicest things about skiing in the woods is that you are not just warm, but hot (and sweaty) even on very cold days. So get some friends and head for the trees.

Hawk
01-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Alex!!!! What are you lonely skiing in the woods? Aren't there enough people out there already? Geeze. :roll:

On my test run through slidebrook I saw people snowplowing. They said that they were both amazed and scared at the conditions with all the rocks and stumps showing. This is the truth and they sould not have gone in. We need more snow plain and simple. If you are light on your skis and have the ability then fine but it's not for the novice skier.

Hawk
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
On a side note, the conservative weather people crushed the skier visit count this weekend. I think they went a little overboard. Saturday was not that bad with no wind and bright sun. When I left the condo it was 12 deg. Great ski day but no one was out at all. Sunday there were even less people. I didn't think it was all that bad. Oh well.

skibum1321
01-24-2011, 08:53 AM
If you are light on your skis and have the ability then fine but it's not for the novice skier.
This is always true, regardless of the snowpack. I see way too many people in Slidebrook that have absolutely no business being in there. The Blazer groups are probably some of the worst offenders of this.

This was the first weekend that I thought the skiing was good this winter. It's about time we have a bit of a base to ski on...

HowieT2
01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
On a side note, the conservative weather people crushed the skier visit count this weekend. I think they went a little overboard. Saturday was not that bad with no wind and bright sun. When I left the condo it was 12 deg. Great ski day but no one was out at all. Sunday there were even less people. I didn't think it was all that bad. Oh well.

agreed but the cold we are seeing today was just late in arriving. It was a great weekend of skiing. The mtn is in good shape. Now if we could only one of these damn coastal storms to turn a bit north/west.

Is it me or does it seem like they have made a lot more snow this year at LP?

HowieT2
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
If you are light on your skis and have the ability then fine but it's not for the novice skier.
This is always true, regardless of the snowpack. I see way too many people in Slidebrook that have absolutely no business being in there. The Blazer groups are probably some of the worst offenders of this.

This was the first weekend that I thought the skiing was good this winter. It's about time we have a bit of a base to ski on...

That may be true about the blazers but the kids get really excited to get into slidebrook and it goes a long way in developing a true love and desire to ski.

win
01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I was out at both mountains over the weekend and had some great runs on both days. It was cold but with the sun out and light wind it was enjoyable if one if dressed properly. It really is a shame that the weather people scare people instead of educating people how to dress and enjoy days outside like Saturday and Sunday.

Now today! This is cold and temperatures like this wreak havoc on mechanical devices and make it difficult to start engines that are outside. We had a lot of school delays due to buses that run on diesel, and we had many employees who couldn't get to work because of cars not starting or problems with their house. We are not running the high summit lifts today either and are not posting ski patrol up high, so we will not having hiking today. The bitter cold will end tonight and we are looking at some new snow over the next day or two. Keeping an eye on the next storm. One of these has got to stay further East and give us the big dump.

gratefulskier
01-24-2011, 11:45 AM

I don't see all of the Blazers groups that go into Slidebrook, but it is not a wide-open thing, open to any and all groups. I've never taken my group there unless the conditions and the skill levels of the skiers made it an appropriate choice. I had the option to go this past weekend, but passed, based on my personal safety concerns about bad situations that might develop between hidden obstacles and the cold temperatures. But, when I do have my group in there, I can guarantee that they belong there. And, I know I'm not the only coach who prudently chooses if and when to go.

GS

Treeskier
01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I was once told a good proverb. "There is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing"

Hoping I was able to drag the snow East.

daevious
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
In addition to what GS said, the Blazer groups always go in with at least two coaches, at least one of whom is Ski Patrol Outdoor Emergency Care tech or EMT. They check in with North Lynx patrol, they sign in and out with Dispatch, and they only go if it's been checked out and deemed to be safe by Blazer supervisors. These kids train for the woods and they handle it better than most, IMO. A bigger problem I think is people who freak out when they see Blazers going in and feel compelled to practically push the kids out of the way to get ahead of them. The Blazers are only using the three most traveled lines. If you're not keen on seeing them out there, choose a different route. And chill!

skibum1321
01-24-2011, 01:24 PM
In addition to what GS said, the Blazer groups always go in with at least two coaches, at least one of whom is Ski Patrol Outdoor Emergency Care tech or EMT. They check in with North Lynx patrol, they sign in and out with Dispatch, and they only go if it's been checked out and deemed to be safe by Blazer supervisors. These kids train for the woods and they handle it better than most, IMO. A bigger problem I think is people who freak out when they see Blazers going in and feel compelled to practically push the kids out of the way to get ahead of them. The Blazers are only using the three most traveled lines. If you're not keen on seeing them out there, choose a different route. And chill!
I think you need to chill - I just made one comment that SOME of the Blazer groups aren't exactly great in the trees. I'm not attacking the coaches or saying that most of them don't belong there. There are clearly others that don't belong in there too.

It's also a bit frustrating to get behind a group of 15 people. What happened to the rule where you go in groups of 8 max in the woods?

Yard Sale
01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I think you need to chill - I just made one comment that SOME of the Blazer groups aren't exactly great in the trees. I'm not attacking the coaches or saying that most of them don't belong there. There are clearly others that don't belong in there too.

It's also a bit frustrating to get behind a group of 15 people. What happened to the rule where you go in groups of 8 max in the woods?

Double Income No Kids?

Just a hunch. :lol:

Hawk
01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I have to side with GS and Davious. The kids in their groups are far better and alot of the adults I see in there. I have no issues with the blazer groups. Plus small light kids on wide skis = FLOAT. They are far better suited for the thin cover.

The issues I have are more with the "Woods Wanabees". These are people who are brought into slidebrook with their friend that is a so call "Expert". He tells them that the woods are great and that he will show them the goods. The result is 5 first timers and 1 intermedeate at best making turkey tracks all across the areas. IMHO there are way to many people way over their heads in slidebrook. It will take one major accident or fatality and the whole thing will be shut down.

It was better before when the mountain didn't advertise and you earned your way into slidebrook with people that knew the code and maintained the woods. All the tracks and lines were skied fall line which made the snow last longer, even in thin cover times. Not this taversing, snowplow, side slip madness that occurs now.

Ah the old days. :wink:

skibum1321
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Double Income No Kids?

Just a hunch. :lol:
Absolutely. And loving it that way!