PDA

View Full Version : Getting even better

HowieT2
01-16-2011, 05:59 PM
got my first run down middle earth today. yeah. really fun out there.

we had guests up with 3 kids in ski school. they loved it and the new facilities. very impressed.

its been snowing at the base of lp for a couple of hours now. funny thing is that as i drove past mellon the snow stopped. nothing in waitsfield and yet since my return it still snowing here.

Sugaree
01-16-2011, 06:40 PM
It never snows at Mt. Ellen. It is always crowded. The woods stink. The terrain is awful. The wind is always howling. And, the people are mean.

HowieT2
01-16-2011, 07:21 PM
It never snows at Mt. Ellen. It is always crowded. The woods stink. The terrain is awful. The wind is always howling. And, the people are mean.

shut up and work on that bible. you're gonna need more than 10 commandments to go legit.

Hawk
01-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Conditions are definitely getting better. Did some more floating around on medium pitch stuff. Like I said on the other post if you stayed on top it was fine.

Quick story with a word of caution. Was in an area that is not normally tracked up that much. We saw 3 sets of tracks zig zaging wildly all over with detonation holes in the snow pack every 100 yds or so. We shook our heads and thought "Joeys". About 1/2 way down we ran onto the people. They were people I recognized as regulars but did not know personally. I ski up to ask if they were all right. They were out of breath and one guy looked to have a leg injury of some sort. They commented on how they were told that the woods were fine but then conceded that they were in over their heads. One guy had an attitude when I questioned why they went out there. Turns out they have never been in that section before and went on a hunch. We brought them back to a place that would lead them out easily.

Moral of the story - If you know how to plain out with speed then you are fine. If you are setting hard edges then you ARE going to hit something. This all may change with the forecast of heavier snow and sleet tomorrow but please be careful out there. If the patrol had to extract that guy way out there they would not be impressed.

Hardbooter
01-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Hopefully they learned a lesson and won't go back.

I spent the whole weekend in spots that I knew would be good and had a blast. I hit very little. Well, I hit almost nothing that stopped me. That is to say that I hit less than I thought I would. Ok, so I hit TONS of stuff and spend the weekend bouncing off logs and stumps and floating over matts of little spruces. But hey, I got almost three days of untracked or lightly tracked runs. My board is not wrecked. I got one deep notch from a rock on a trail. The board seemed to float above a lot of stuff in the woods and I stayed away from stuff that I know is not ready. The skiers that I know seemed to be hitting more stuff than I did. Yesterday's snow was fun but it covered a lot of hazards that has been cleared off in the days before. I think the woods will be pretty good by the end of the week if we get that wet snow.

vonski
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I agree low level pitch, fresh tracks and backseat driving and I had no problems. To be honest though Bravinator woods were just bump runs in the woods. Gotta know where to go. I was finding stashes where my whole pole was able to disappear. So there is some depth in spots! I even skied Graduation woods. bottomed out a few times, but no snakes.