PDA

View Full Version : What is Fat Snow?

Xskier
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
By the way Win, I've really been digging the snow reports with the base-mid-summit ranges. I don't remember seeing this last year but maybe I just didn't notice.

Hawk
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
By the way Win, I've really been digging the snow reports with the base-mid-summit ranges. I don't remember seeing this last year but maybe I just didn't notice.

Use your imagination xskier. It means at least 4 inches or 4 + inches. :wink:

Xskier
01-12-2011, 11:26 AM
I was hoping it meant dense snow since we need a base... Still i like the term..

noski
01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I picture fat snow as every snowflake standing on end in hopes of 'being counted'.

Tin Woodsman
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I was hoping it meant dense snow since we need a base... Still i like the term..

I'm not there, so this is speculation, but since this is a coastal storm, I'd venture that the H2O content is much higher than the fairy dust we get from upslope events (the two big storms this year were both upslope). This should be decent, though not ideal, base building snow. Best case scenario would be temps in the mid to upper 20s for that, but I don't think anyone will be complaining. :lol: :lol:

noski
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I just brushed off several inches from my car and it almost seemed a bit "mealy", not terribly soft and fluffy.