PDA

View Full Version : 1/12 Storm Observations

Hawk
01-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Just figured we might try this. It works great on other forums. Just post any first hand knowlege that you might share. This kind of thing usually works better than the snow reporters. Anyway fire away if you can.

Plowboy
01-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Plowed off 3" to 4" @ 8am Snowing hard :D

noski
01-12-2011, 08:48 AM
8am, Rt 100 is snow covered and it is snowing heavily. No wind on the valley floor at this time.

Hawk
01-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Sweet. Good job guys. I knew I could count on you two. :wink:

noski
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
http://170.222.32.148/1/ This is the live-time cam for Interstate 89 in Berlin (exit 7 area) from the www.511.vermont.gov AOT site. WarrenStore cam is temporarily down, call has gone out to the CamMan. (Sure wish the SugarCam was rolling.)

Edit: http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/webcam/index.asp Cam is back up....

Edit Again: just measured 2" in the last hour on the Valley floor. I need to suit up to shovel again shortly...

skibum1321
01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Absolutely puking in Arlington, not that that does anything for anyone...

Hawk
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Ya, with the power out at home I went in to work. Best comute all year with empty roads. I am on State Street on the 10th Floor and I can not even see the weathervain on Fanuel Hall which is about 200 yards away. Wish I went up last night. There is no one here. :(

HowieT2
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
keep the reports coming. I'm in the office despite a good foot and a half of snow so I can ski friday.

gostan
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Plenty of fresh snow on the mountain. Just stopped for lunch to refuel. No wind to speak of & pretty light & dry with no signs of letting up.

All smiles under the hoods. & I am soooo happy that I was able to not be a flatlander today & tomorrow. Should be a fabulous weekend

win
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Hope the Cam will be up and running this week. It has been installed and now just need to get in onto the web.

Brew Ski
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
SnowBlower 10" of wet and heavies at 8am, just did another 4" of colder drier stuff.
That plowguy, everytime I get the driveway finished, he comes by again and fills the bottom back in. Grrrrr.

Hopefully the mountain is getting drier stuff than this. Just watched two sleds race across the lake chased by a bike with studded tires. Cool snow sports going on here.

Managed a couple hours work from home. Friday is coming...

HowieT2
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
SnowBlower 10" of wet and heavies at 8am, just did another 4" of colder drier stuff.
That plowguy, everytime I get the driveway finished, he comes by again and fills the bottom back in. Grrrrr.

Hopefully the mountain is getting drier stuff than this. Just watched two sleds race across the lake chased by a bike with studded tires. Cool snow sports going on here.

Managed a couple hours work from home. Friday is coming...

wet and heavy is good. 14" and counting??? am I understanding that correctly???

Brew Ski
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Yup 14" and counting...in Canton, MA. I'm thinking of hitting Blue Hills tonight for some 400 ft of bliss.

Snow slowed for about an hour, but it is starting back up again. Hopefully the snow bands extend up to The Valley.

HowieT2
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Yup 14" and counting...in Canton, MA. I'm thinking of hitting Blue Hills tonight for some 400 ft of bliss.

Snow slowed for about an hour, but it is starting back up again. Hopefully the snow bands extend up to The Valley.

WTF cares about Canton unless you're planning to haul some of that to the MRV.

summitchallenger
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
FWIW I live about 20 miles direct from Sugarbush, S and W, and I am not there right now, but it was DUMPING down there this morning before I left. Forecasts have been increased now twice. We were in the 3-5 inch range, then 6-8 inch, now NOAA is saying 6-12. In BTV it is coming down. Some wind. Looks like the storm is slowing down and blowing up further north than they were thinking.....again, they said it was a non-event for us and now it is much bigger.

atkinson
01-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Although we reproted only an inch this morning, there is over a foot at the top now. CR to Cotillon was super sweet. Willy Egan couldn't get going on his own, he needed to follow tracks!

The snowfall rate has been up and down a bit, but several times, it was snowing about as hard as I've seen it here. Today is awesome, tomorrow should be just as sweet. Look for pics and video soon!

John

HowieT2
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Although we reproted only an inch this morning, there is over a foot at the top now. CR to Cotillon was super sweet. Willy Egan couldn't get going on his own, he needed to follow tracks!

The snowfall rate has been up and down a bit, but several times, it was snowing about as hard as I've seen it here. Today is awesome, tomorrow should just as sweet. Look for pics and video soon!

Johnsweet. thanks for the update. looking forward to the video.

atkinson
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
http://www.sugarbush.com/uploadedfiles/2008_files/stokeexchange/sugarbush_atkinson_powder_01_12_2011_001.jpg
Cotillon today.

Plowboy
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
:D There was no snow on this truck last night.......Near ME. :D

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/DSC00075.jpg

Hawk
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
SaaaaaWeeet!!!!! I gotta get Friday off.

shadyjay
01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
The word of the day - PHENOMENAL!!!

I'll get a trip report up on shadyjay.com later tonight along with the pics, but no matter where you were on the mountain today, it was a powder run. Natural snow runs like Domino, Twist, and Moonshine were ex-cell-ent but keep in mind not really a base underneath. Going straight you're fine but turn sideways and you'll see some "earth". Morning Star, on the other hand, was perfect with no ground felt whatsoever. Snowball, Sleeper Road, Birch, Murphy's... all a blast!

gostan
01-12-2011, 03:41 PM

WTF cares about Canton unless you're planning to haul some of that to the MRV.I just got off of the mountain and it is still snowing like the dickens. The mountain is reporting 8 inches but there is really much more. Our driveway here on Bragg Hill Road was partially plowed this morning and there must be at least a foot or more and still coming down.

Xskier
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
sweet!! Hopefully the snowmobiling will be good this weekend!!

win
01-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I had office work and didn't get out until 2pm but got a good day in two hours. There was still plenty of powder. I stayed low to get as many runs as possible and found good powder on Twist, left side of Snowball and Spring Fling, Sleeper, Organgrinder and my secret trail. I think some moderate wind will groom the trails tonight and it looks like the snow will continure for several more hours. We should have nice powder in the morning. We have had 10 inches at the base so far and clearly more up top. By tomorrow it should be at least a foot at the base given the way it is coming down and looking at the radar. First tracks in the Lincoln Limo tomorrow at 6:45am.

boze
01-12-2011, 05:58 PM
At least you were in town for this particular powder dump... :wink:

Our Flatlander Family is very excited to head up tomorrow
(27" here in Easton, CT - glad I do not need to ferry any of that North w/ us)

atkinson
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM
A video from today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZwR_dy8We4) ... Matt's story makes it!

win
01-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Great Video. Why did I have to have office work this morning?

Hawk
01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Now the observations do not have to stop. It snowed overnight so the storm is not over. I would love a post storm summary at some point after people have skied. Working on my boss for tomorrow. :wink:

Brew Ski
01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Are the glades open?
Slidebrook, perhaps?

Is it too much to ask for the Castelrock lift to experience , oh I don't know, a fuse failure say, and remain closed until Saturday morning????

shadyjay
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Glades/woods are never open nor closed. While they're not personally my "cup of tea", I have seen folks in and out of the woods these past couple days. The base isn't there on some natural snow trails, and when you make a turn, you sometimes scrape down to the bare ground. Just keep that in mind before heading into the woods.

Just got back from a day at Mt Ellen. Tumbler, Hammerhead, Encore all excellent. Semi-Tough was awesome with tons of powder until I hit a waterbar / river across the trail which encased my board in frozen carbonite and requiring quite a bit of scraping before I was able to move again. Still, a good day outside of NRX being down from the time I got there until the time I left. Came back to drop my gear off at LP - didn't take any runs on that side. My body needs some time to recover - exhausted from all this powder and have to be in bright n' early to send everyone up the mountain.

As for C-Rock, keep checking the reports. Saturday AM most likely, Friday maybe. Don't have the answer to that question this time.

Slide Brook? It's more than likely the "tours" will resume this weekend. The lift is scheduled to run, temps/weather pending.

**However, considering my information is "unofficial", check sugarbush.com for all the latest.

atkinson
01-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Only the cleanest and mellowest upper elevation glades are even close to being ready, but that hasn't stopped many. I've footpacked some lines and wandered into well-known areas to make a few cautious turns, but that's it. The trails are still better now. That said, plan on a long adventure this weekend. Have you been doing your homework, Brew?

Here's some video from the Cabin Cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKRMIhkcTo) this morning ... enjoy!

John

Brew Ski
01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Homework was done before dinner.
Cool stuff actually. I like the Avy stuff. I can't wait to learn more. Wind pack and loading will need some more explanation especially applying it to Sugarbush.

Seems strange that it is mid January and I haven't skied Steins, Castlerock, or ventured into any woods (Safety first you know). Hopefully the base sets up, or a group or two start boot packing or side stepping "secret" lines. Beside, I need to get my endurance up for the Castlerock Extreme!

Great video, thanks for keeping the Flatlanders stoked!

smootharc
01-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Lots of wind scour and deposition on trails. Riding HG one saw ribbons of pow, and ribbons of scour right down to manmade crust. Cold, and wind chill was noticeable.

If one hiked, which quite a few of us did, there were exceptional goods. Got some seriously deep and fresh first tracks. First field test of my Dynastar Big Dumps was a success.

Good day. Drove up Wed night. Drove home yesterday. Drive back with family this afternoon. Yes, I'm nuts.

One thing is evident....a nice wet, heavy storm cycle would be good, imho. Like a few feet or more. Coverage on trails and in woods feels very tentative and bony. Not complaining, mind you. It just feels like we're at a fork in the road....and some base building depth that won't blow all around would be a good next step.

Hawk
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Observation from today. If you were floating, you were pretty OK. Speed or fatter skis got you to where you need to be. If you were not there, then you knew it. I found myself not there several times. :shock:

Great day overall.

vonski
01-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Sounds like my old in the back seat skiing will be in order! Gotta keep them tips up! :D

shadyjay
01-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Spills was really good today. Ripcord was slick and windblown in spots, but should be good early in the AM all weekend since it's on the grooming list.

Snowmaking on Organgrinder has left some giant whales/piles.

Come n' get some, and say hi!