PDA

View Full Version : Castlerock rope drop!

vonski
01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I got this picture today via email. It was titled Castlerock Shadow! Again, Sucks to be a flatlander!
http://s4.postimage.org/1yqhlthic/rocl.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1yqhlthic/)

win
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Hiking over from Heaven's Gate only. Lift will run in a couple of days, so we will save some snow for the Flatlanders this weekend.

summitchallenger
01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I was going to say that according to the Snow Report the lift is not open....

atkinson
01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
I'll have some video from Middle Earth later this evening. Stay tuned!

vonski
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Looking forward to the video John. The lift must have opened to get patrol up to see the conditions which apparently are sweet!

Hawk
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I am sure with the additonal foot.....aaahhh I mean 7" tomorrow it will be great. Just getting ahead of myself. :wink:

slaw
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
passing church as we speak........... I wish.

Last Tracks
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
why woudn't you guys open the lift if you are going to open the trails?

atkinson
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Patrol was hiking too, of course. Lift mechanics were testing the lift.

Here is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS81wY3ILn0) the vid. Middle Earth was filled in very nicely.

Enjoy!

John

shadyjay
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
why woudn't you guys open the lift if you are going to open the trails?

Mechanics need to do their thing. Ramps need to be built. The staff has to be scheduled (both lifts and patrol).

I also heard the runout is a little sketchy. If the lift were to run, it'd attract more folks over there, including some who may not know what they're getting into, and the runout would get tracked out faster.

I believe later in the week is the opening for the lift. Also, it is looking like Slide Brook will spin this weekend as well - conditions pending.

Brew Ski
01-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Ummm, JA...

Your skis are Dynastar, you don't need to look at them while skiing. Keep your eyes on the prize. You'll get where your going faster and smoother.

Didn't you already teach me that????

Great video. Not only is it torture to watch the locals shred fresh pow, it is first (official) tracks at Castlerock, and I'm going to have to shovel 20" of wet and heavies and still work three more days.
Gotta start that brew pub in The Valley! No fun being a Vermonter living in the flatlands.

win
01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Also a few good skier before the crowds get on it will set it up nicely for the snow that we are going to get tomorrow. It will be better because of having it skied by a small crowd first.

Hardbooter
01-11-2011, 07:37 PM
OK, so the rock is open(ish)

So how are the woods?

atkinson
01-11-2011, 08:46 PM
The look down was purely for the viewer's benefit. The woods are thin and the snow is hollow, with very little base. Who knows after the next storm?

HowieT2
01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
this weekend is setting up very nicely. while im not getting my hopes too high for tomorrow, the upslope potential in the storms wake is intriguing.
are the lifts on regular weekday schedule friday?

nice video. keep them coming.

just started snowing here in the hudson valley.

shadyjay
01-11-2011, 10:56 PM
this weekend is setting up very nicely. while im not getting my hopes too high for tomorrow, the upslope potential in the storms wake is intriguing.
are the lifts on regular weekday schedule friday?

Yes things are looking quite nice for the weekend!

Fri - normal operation
all lifts 9AM, w/p, c/p

Sat-Sun-Mon 8AM start at Bravo/GMX
All other lifts 9AM (except Slide Brook - 10AM I think)
w/p, c/p

skiladi
01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
The look down was purely for the viewer's benefit. The woods are thin and the snow is hollow, with very little base. Who knows after the next storm?
I found the woods that are not steep above mid to be better than the marginal open trails , i.e. L. Domino , Moonshine , Mall and Lexi's. Core shot on Lexi's. Didn't hit a thing in the woods.

Hardbooter
01-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I found the woods that are not steep above mid to be better than the marginal open trails , i.e. L. Domino , Moonshine , Mall and Lexi's. Core shot on Lexi's. Didn't hit a thing in the woods.

That's no surprise. The base holds up much better in the woods. It's just more dangerous from the point of view of hitting some unexpected hidden obstruction. Snowboards do a little better from that point of view. You can get over more stuff and you're less likely to break your leg. Also, I think 'tip up' is easier to execute than 'tips up'. Early season, I often like to let others forge a path and clear off all the stumps and horizontal deadfall. Later in the season, I can focus on finding my own tracks.

My guess is that todays snow is better base snow than the snow from the last few days. Any word on that? How was the skiing? Did the wind shut everything down?

Tin Woodsman
01-12-2011, 08:31 PM

That's no surprise. The base holds up much better in the woods. It's just more dangerous from the point of view of hitting some unexpected hidden obstruction. Snowboards do a little better from that point of view. You can get over more stuff and you're less likely to break your leg. Also, I think 'tip up' is easier to execute than 'tips up'. Early season, I often like to let others forge a path and clear off all the stumps and horizontal deadfall. Later in the season, I can focus on finding my own tracks.

That helps. So does hiking in the woods during the off-season. Helps give you an understanding of what lines are clean and what lines have the snow snakes. Mid-mountain hardwoods at LP and ME, along with upper mountain lower angle stuff at ME is usually your best bet at low tide. Need to be high enough to get the better snow depths but not so high that the steepness requires deeper turns and faster speeds. Also, for some reason the mid-mountain hardwoods tend to have a lot less deadfall than up top.

Tin Woodsman
01-12-2011, 08:31 PM

That helps. So does hiking in the woods during the off-season. Helps give you an understanding of what lines are clean and what lines have the snow snakes. Mid-mountain hardwoods at LP and ME, along with upper mountain lower angle stuff at ME is usually your best bet at low tide. Need to be high enough to get the better snow depths but not so high that the steepness requires deeper turns and faster speeds. Also, for some reason the mid-mountain hardwoods tend to have a lot less deadfall than up top.

win
01-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Lift will likely turn on Friday, so plan your weekend.