PDA

View Full Version : Give Mount Ellen Some Love

summitchallenger
12-29-2010, 08:57 AM
During the past couple weeks of the season, I have been disappointed to see that some of the SB publicity staff have been either ignoring or dismissing Mount Ellen as a part of Sugarbush and focusing almost exclusively on Lincoln Peak. Intentional or not, this sends the wrong message.

Two weeks ago when Mount Ellen opened the snow reporters did a video of "powder" skiing at Lincoln Peak and completely missed the unreal powder conditions at Mount Ellen. It was probably the best skiing I have had at Sugarbush but the reporters did a video of a skier hitting chowder on the side of Birdland that paled in comparison to what was found on Mount Ellen. Anyone who knows skiing should have known that Mount Ellen, which had no tracks at all and was just opening, would be the place to be, especially those who have inside knowledge and work at the resort. That morning there was not one photographer or video person to capture the 50-75 or so people who stood in line for the lift to open.

Kudos to one member of upper management that I did see skiing at Mount Ellen and talking with the skiers and riders, largely locals who were passholders.

And this morning the snow report featured this remark:

Sorry about the 'forced' introduction to Mt. Ellen, yesterday due to Lincoln Peak's gusty conditions...though if you were a first-timer, it's certainly a 'must visit'. That was then, this is now: less cold, less wind, more fulfilling!

Maybe this is nit-picky, but Mount Ellen is not purgatory or a place where a "forced introduction" is a bad thing. It is nothing to apologize for. Mount Ellen offers more vertical, more terrain suited for larger crowds, newer lifts, and great snowmaking infrastructure. It offers a wide variety of terrain with often better snow quality. By framing it as a place to apologize sends a message that it is not as good as its neighbor to the south. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

This board has had some interesting comments during the past few years including some snide remarks by some that Mount Ellen passholders are "second class citizens."

There is one Sugarbush. The management has focused on trying to elevate the reputation of Mount Ellen and boosting its business by offering pass products targeted at locals who often cannot afford the full season pass rate. During the past few seasons I have met families who have given up Bolton Valley, Smuggler’s Notch, or other competing areas to specifically ski Mount Ellen for these deals.

Accordingly, this Mount Ellen Plus Passholder hopes that for the rest of the season the ground soldiers at Sugarbush remember the other part of the resort. It is not too difficult to ask for a video or two a week devoted to Mount Ellen showing the excellent terrain, aspiring young athletes training on Inverness, or the friendly staff who work there. Don’t apologize for a mountain whose imposing slopes have been the image of the Mad River Valley and Sugarbush for many years.
http://gonewengland.about.com/library/graphics/madrivervalleymorning.jpg

vonski
12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I agree, What a misnomer to have the picture of person on Birdland with caption for MT. Ellen opening. But on the side, I am all for keeping the crowds at south!!! :lol:

Hawk
12-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Summit, based on the quality of the skiing and the lack of crowds this week, why on earth would you want more publicity for Ellen? I only ski at Ellen partial days and crowded days because my place is at Lincoln Peak. But when I do ski there I always love the lack of crowds and the hidden gems. Why would you want this to change? The people I ski with over there are extremely happy that it has not caught on. :wink:

summitchallenger
12-29-2010, 09:31 AM
I agree, What a misnomer to have the picture of person on Birdland with caption for MT. Ellen opening. But on the side, I am all for keeping the crowds at south!!! :lol:

That was another thing that made me and others :roll:

Since they are looking at ME as a separate "thing," set it up to succeed and not fail.

summitchallenger
12-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Summit, based on the quality of the skiing and the lack of crowds this week, why on earth would you want more publicity for Ellen? I only ski at Ellen partial days and crowded days because my place is at Lincoln Peak. But when I do ski there I always love the lack of crowds and the hidden gems. Why would you want this to change? The people I ski with over there are extremely happy that it has not caught on. :wink:

You completely missed the point. I do enjoy it for being less crowded, but don't put it down!

vonski
12-29-2010, 09:46 AM
The other good one last year, but I have not seen the Claybrook brochure this year, but last year it had a picture of Ellen on it rather than South. Go figure!

vonski
12-29-2010, 09:57 AM
And What do you expect from the snow reporter who thought Steins was under the Valley House lift last year rather than the Mall!!

Hawk
12-29-2010, 10:29 AM
I guess I did. Anyway I think you are a little sensitive to the Mt. Ellen snub thing. You made a choice to ski there and that is great. If the mountain has made a few mistakes on the marketing front regarding the area I hardly think that it was on purpose. I also think that people in general don't put any thought into Mt. Ellen pass holders as second class citizens. It's just another place to ski and it's all good dude.

My condo project is complete for the morning. I am off to ski. You should do the same. See you out there. :wink:

atkinson
12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
I could not be at the Mount Ellen opening because of meetings at Lincoln Peak, so that's why you saw video from Birdland that morning. However, the four videos that I posted prior to the Birdland one, were all shot at Mount Ellen. Additionally, I post pictures of Mount Ellen every week for most of the winter.

While this most recent video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahN26qW5QKo) was mainly shot at Lincoln Peak, I still added some Mount Ellen love too. Here's another fresh video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqJwFDGasg) with major Mount Ellen exposure. Sometimes we only see what want to see.

Go ski!

John

vonski
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I could not be at the Mount Ellen opening because of meetings at Lincoln Peak, so that's why you saw video from Birdland that morning. However, the four videos that I posted prior to the Birdland one, were all shot at Mount Ellen. Additionally, I post pictures of Mount Ellen every week for most of the winter.

While this most recent video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahN26qW5QKo) was mainly shot at Lincoln Peak, I still added some Mount Ellen love too. Here's another fresh video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqJwFDGasg) with major Mount Ellen exposure. Sometimes we only see what want to see.

Go ski!

John

Finally making it up tomorrow. Just a bored flatlander here wishing he could ski!!! Heard it has been pretty sweet overall! Keep up the Stoke John!

ski_resort_observer
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I gave Mellon some love 15 years ago when I took the photograph you posted from gonewengland.about.com I'm flattered you used it. :D
http://gonewengland.about.com/library/users/ucmadrivervalley.htm

summitchallenger
12-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I gave Mellon some love 15 years ago when I took the photograph you posted from gonewengland.about.com I'm flattered you used it. :D
http://gonewengland.about.com/library/users/ucmadrivervalley.htm

I wondered if that was yours. I also think that copies of said photo are available for sale at certain fine retailers..... ;)

And glad that the message got through: show us some Ellen stuff as well!

win
12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't pick on my snowreporters. They get up at 4am each morning and love every part of this mountain. We can all make mistakes and usually do, but they do a great job for us.

I missed first tracks at ME this year for the first time, because I was at a Vermont Ski Area Association Board meeting, but I did get there the next day and had Tumbler, my favorite trail there, all to myself. ME turns fifty soon, so we will have to have a special birthday celebration to make sure everyone knows we love her.

boze
12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
ME turns fifty soon, so we will have to have a special birthday celebration to make sure everyone knows we love her.
+1
Big Mama Ellen

HowieT2
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM

Go ski!

John
l
john you are so mean to mellon. :shock:

skied there yesterday. it was super great off piste. exterminator woods FTW. groomers not so much (please dont be offended. telling it like it is)
returned to lp today hoping shadyjay would show us some love with the hg lift. but twas not to be and so i bailed to get some work done.

shadyjay
12-29-2010, 10:22 PM
skied there yesterday. it was super great off piste. exterminator woods FTW. groomers not so much (please dont be offended. telling it like it is)
returned to lp today hoping shadyjay would show us some love with the hg lift. but twas not to be and so i bailed to get some work done.

Sorry bout that, HowieT2.... Day 3 - Strike 3.

I hope to get over to Mt Ellen for a day to ride, perhaps next week. I was a ME passholder for 2 years before and always loved that side. The lack of crowds, great terrain, old school feel, and a fast lift system make it a great place. I sent some folks over that way today after having a lack of "upper mtn" lifts at a VERY BUSY Lincoln Peak.

groomer
12-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Hope everyone is enjoying all the love weve been giving mt Ellen this year! Happy new year from the groomers of the great white north!

slatham
01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Well, I finally made it to the 'Bush and Mt Ellen saved the trip!! I hit Lincoln each day at 8/8:15, and by 10 or so I was bailing for ME and glad I did. And not just for the fact that the crowds were less - ITS JUST A GREAT MOUNTAIN :D The fact that there were a bunch of "second class" citizens there (aka Locals - which included my sister-in-law and niece and nephew) only ADDED to the experience :P Mt Ellen is a gem - we should keep this to ourselves. But I really don't think you'll get a huge influx of previous non-ME skiers. They haven't skied ME for reasons that are not likely to change anytime soon - if ever (unless Win has a Claybrook North up his sleeve :wink: ).

I hope the holiday season treated all well, and the bizz at the "bush was strong.

THINK SNOW :D