PDA

View Full Version : North Opening Day TR.

summitchallenger
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, here is my report.

Last year I was able to get up there early enough to get first chair. This year I had originally planned on not being able to make it because of my trip out west. Well, it turned out that I was asked to go north for work and I had the time to swing in for a few runs.

I got to the base at 8:20 and dropped my skis in the lift line to save my spot. Booted up and got out there. Some familiar faces from last year....but it was all business. The line got pretty long so that there was a rush at 9:00am but I was the first skier scanned, first chair.

Midmountain was limited at the opening bell because of snow levels. So I zoomed down Cruiser which was about 10 inches of pow on a MG base. Wow...amazing...but the best was yet to come.

As most folks opted to ride the Summit Quad rather than ski to North Ridge as I did, I had time to get some first tracks on the upper mountain. I rode up North Ridge sitting in second chair and watched as my chairmates and the ones ahead of me headed to Exterminator. I headed down Bravo. It was simply amazing...blower pow about knee deep that you could float in. I was by myself. It was amazing. Thank goodness for rock skis though as the base could be found pretty easily. I have some work to do this week on those skis...

I did another spin down Cruiser and then hit Exterminator finding some deep freshies on skier's left. All of this in the first 30 minutes!

After cutting on Way Back to the Summit Quad, I set my sights on FIS. Very good choice. It was pretty much as good as it gets: snowmaking base and deep powder on top. The bumps were just soft pow. I had to do it again. I did the lower runs on Lower Rim Run and Lookin' Good which both were in fine shape.

By the time I made it back to Glen House, it was almost time for me to get back on the road. I heard some hoots and saw that the ropes on Cliffs had been dropped. I headed over to find monster pow and more great turns. It was amazing.

I decided to push it and headed over North Ridge. One more, right? I had not skied Elbow. So I hit that and then cut over to hit Hammerhead and found some more nice pow.

It was about 10:30 and I had to get back on the road. I did a quick change, hopped in the car, and headed out. Only 90 minutes of skiing, but man was it amazing and the right choice!

Pics very soon!

summitchallenger
12-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Pictures. (http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?p=582589#post582589)

shadyjay
12-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Looks sweet, but I was quite content with my early morning first tracks on Downspout, followed by some really nice runs on Upper Jester.

Last year I was able to hit Mt Ellen on its opening day. I met up with a fellow coworker that day and I did Exterminator for the first time ever and twice in a row, plus also hit up Tumbler and The Cliffs, amongst others. THAT was a good day. Still have not gotten up the courage or had the proper conditions to hit up Black Diamond, FIS, or Bravo.

However, another year has begun, so who knows!

summitchallenger
12-20-2010, 04:12 AM
FIS and Black Diamond are intimidating on the first run. After you get a feel for the trail, when you go back it will seem easier. Bravo is only difficult on the one headwall section that is usually ice, rock, or both.