PDA

View Full Version : Winter Weather Advisory posted!

atkinson
12-13-2010, 03:13 AM
It's still pre-crystalline at 1100' in Moretown, but the temp is 33. They are calling for 3-5 by tomorrow morning in the valleys, then more snow for the rest of the week!

Stay tuned ...

Hawk
12-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Good weekend of sking! I can feel all the bumps we skied this morning I tell you. Reports of good base in places off trail was encouraging. Curious as to how much was left upper, middle and lower mountain this morning. Hopefully the damage was not that great and mother nature left us some base to build on. Like John said above, more snow is on the way all week. Can't wait for next weekend.....I hate Mondays. :(

HowieT2
12-13-2010, 07:39 AM
yes, curious about the r$%^n damage.

I did venture off the trails a little to do a little recon and take a break from the wind. There was plenty of fluff on the pines but there is no base. It is not safe, so beware (not that I won't be there again this weekend).

Hawk
12-14-2010, 03:21 AM
So can anyone out there tell us how much natural snow remained on the ground when the change over happen yesterday? Just a brief description would do.

atkinson
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I can't say what happened before the snow fell again, but the skiing today was really good, nice pow overall, with a few scratchy spots to keep you honest. No worries, more snow predicted through the week!

Hawk
12-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Come on John. You were out there. How much natural snow was left on the non-snowmaking terrain and woods after the rain? It's not that hard. you can just talk about the upper mountain if you like.

Man it's so tought to get an honest anwser sometimes. I guess I will just have to wait and see Friday. Geeze. :roll:

atkinson
12-15-2010, 03:49 AM
I didn't wander anywhere off of Jester or Downspout, the only two runs I did, so I have no first hand info. It's not like I am trying to hide the ugly truth, I did note the continued rain in my first post.

That said, I've heard from reliable sources that the natural snow trails are in good condition, with a solid base covered in various layers of pow and windpack now. MRG is still seeing alot of hiker traffic and big smiles. The woods, in general, are not even close. Go side-step the lines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAi5NdlkihA) and get them ready, if you must go.

Oh yeah, it's snowing again!

John

Hawk
12-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Sorry, I just figured that if anyone would know it would be you. :wink: I am not planning on woods just yet, just curious as to the base layer now. Thanks for the honest response sir.

skiladi
12-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Sorry, I just figured that if anyone would know it would be you. :wink: I am not planning on woods just yet, just curious as to the base layer now. Thanks for the honest response sir. Just got home today from a week of some great skiing , and some not so great...; { Good news is temps look good thru the week and I hope for a long time after! Lots of snow falling , with degrees of intensity. Wish I could have stayed for the rope drop on Spills but had obligations. It was pretty chilly when I left this a.m. and to answer Hawk's ? , I think there is a lot of snow in the woods. It was not scoured by the wind and when the wind scours the open trails you know where it goes. ; }

Last Tracks
12-16-2010, 10:23 AM
I thought the woods were in better shape yesterday than they were before the rain. The thaw and refreeze has created a solid crust underneath and the 8" or so we have rec'd this week has blown around and created plenty of powder pockets.

I hiked across the LT a couple times yesterday and some of the trees that you had to climb over last Friday are completely buried. The snow has blown around a lot and filled in all the holes.

Hawk
12-16-2010, 10:36 AM
I thought the woods were in better shape yesterday than they were before the rain. The thaw and refreeze has created a solid crust underneath and the 8" or so we have rec'd this week has blown around and created plenty of powder pockets.

I hiked across the LT a couple times yesterday and some of the trees that you had to climb over last Friday are completely buried. The snow has blown around a lot and filled in all the holes.

Thanks LT. I bet there is a lot of blow down everywhere. I guess I should bring my pruning saw. :wink: