PDA

View Full Version : Should I Plan On Staying Over This Monday

gostan
12-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I am reaching out to all experienced local Mad River Valley Skiers/Riders.

So, as I sit down here West of Boston in my office this Thursday evening, all of the weather forecasts for this weekend for SB seem to call for snow Sunday morning turning to ice/rain, etc. into Monday. Should I believe these weathercasts or might this be an all snow event at elevation.

Just trying to think about planning my Sunday/Monday as I would really enjoy planning on staying over Sunday evening and getting some freshies in on Sunday afternoon and Monday.

skierdon
12-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Not looking particularly great- but I think some wet snow on both ends will help build the base that is currently lacking.

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

gostan
12-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks. I was not familiar with that weather blog. Not looking great for late Sunday/Monday, but maybe a big one a week later.

Benski
12-09-2010, 08:48 PM
i had the same thoughts but dont think it is looking good for monday. if anything tuesday may be the better day. keep the bullet in the barrell.

Hawk
12-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Josh has been a downer lately. He seems to get more and more skeptical but he has been burnt a few times and I am sure he heard about it.

Anyway, you have to be here to get the goods.........just sayin. :wink:

gostan
12-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Final decision to be made on Sunday on the slopes.

Xskier
12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Models have gotten worse over night. Now mostly rain as the primary runs through the great lakes and the secondary forms too late. Ouch, could be painful! Like Josh said lets hope for a cold rain.

win
12-10-2010, 12:44 PM
The latest forecast that we use shows things starting off as snow Sunday morning and then going to sleet freezing rain and then rain in the afternoon and then back to snow as the temperatures really begin to fall late Sunday night. Our high mountain forecast is for it to get just above freezing so it doesn't appear to be too damaging. Even a 50 mile shift to the East could make this a much more of a snow event. It really is still early to tell what is going to occur, but the odds are that Sunday will be dicey driving, so I would personally prefer driving on Monday.

Xskier
12-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Ouch. The forecast has gotten worse, which usually happens when the storm goes thru the great lakes. Win I have no idea how you do it. Its so hard relying on something that cannot be controlled.

win
12-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes it did. Fortunately, from Monday afternoon on it looks a lot better. We'll see what happens, but I bet by next weekend we will have a solid base, will have received some nice natural snow and we will have had good snowmaking temperatures all week. Bu the time Mount Ellen opens on Friday, a lot more terrain will be skiable.

ski_resort_observer
12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
This is the latest NWS Point Forecast formulated for the 3000' level of Lincoln Peak

"Sunday: Sleet before 1pm, then rain. High near 41. Very windy, with a south wind 35 to 40 mph increasing to between 50 and 55 mph. Winds could gust as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible."

The rest of the forecast, back to winter temps by Tuesday
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.12678156962166&lon=-72.92827606201172&site=btv&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

gostan
12-13-2010, 02:07 AM
I left the mountain after lunch yesterday after having about 4 & 1/2 hours of skiing. For those of you who bailed on getting our on the Mountain on Sunday, I have to say that the dire clear precipitation forecast held off a few hours longer than expected with about 2-4 inches of fresh snow to play in Yes, it was fairly miserable at the top of Heavens Gate (and it did need to be shut down just before 11) and the visibility at the top was difficult with the wind and sand-like snow pelleting me, but none of Saturday's crowds were to be found and there was some nice clear sailing down below Allyn's and over on Gatehouse, and the couple of soft lines that we found in the woods made Sunday well worth the drive home in the pouring rain.

A few of you know that this is my first full "weekend warrior" season at SB, after skiing Sugarloaf for the last few seasons. One of the reasons why I left SL was the long drive, the constant wind holds and the persistent SuperQuad breakdowns. I note this morning that unfortunately the SQ was shut down most of Saturday at SL and it was their annual demo day. I understand that many families and skiers left that mountain pretty upset. Would be nice to find a way to entice those north of Boston SL skiers to come to SB.

I will be doing Treeskiers snow dance this week. TS, thanks for teaching me the dance yesterday! :D

HowieT2
12-13-2010, 07:32 AM
I left the mountain after lunch yesterday after having about 4 & 1/2 hours of skiing. For those of you who bailed on getting our on the Mountain on Sunday, I have to say that the dire clear precipitation forecast held off a few hours longer than expected with about 2-4 inches of fresh snow to play in Yes, it was fairly miserable at the top of Heavens Gate (and it did need to be shut down just before 11) and the visibility at the top was difficult with the wind and sand-like snow pelleting me, but none of Saturday's crowds were to be found and there was some nice clear sailing down below Allyn's and over on Gatehouse, and the couple of soft lines that we found in the woods made Sunday well worth the drive home in the pouring rain.

A few of you know that this is my first full "weekend warrior" season at SB, after skiing Sugarloaf for the last few seasons. One of the reasons why I left SL was the long drive, the constant wind holds and the persistent SuperQuad breakdowns. I note this morning that unfortunately the SQ was shut down most of Saturday at SL and it was their annual demo day. I understand that many families and skiers left that mountain pretty upset. Would be nice to find a way to entice those north of Boston SL skiers to come to SB.

I will be doing Treeskiers snow dance this week. TS, thanks for teaching me the dance yesterday! :D

The snow was great on sunday. Unfortunately for me, the visibility was not, and I am bad when I can't see.

I think you'll notice a significant decrease in the crowding from this point forward other than the big holiday weekends. With MRG and Mt. Ellen closed, and only limited trails open, it was unusually crowded saturday. Also, when the valley house opens that should help.