PDA

View Full Version : Best Route from Boston and estimated time

sgottmann
12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I have a friend coming from Boston. What is the best route and how long should it take. Thanks.

noski
12-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Others will chime in, but for the first time, I suggest 93>89, VT exit 9. http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/valley/index.asp?contid=6 We have directions and suggested shortcuts.

djd66
12-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Exit 9 is fine,.... if you want to save about 15-20 minutes take exit 5, left off the ramp, go to the end of the road, and take the road behind the Mobil station (lovers Lane), go to the end of Lovers lane and Take a left onto VT 12A. Follow for 5 miles and take a right on Warren Mountain Road. Follow Warren Moutntain Roadd to the end and Take a left to Warren Village. Not sure what the conditions are like right now, we take this road 90% of the time. (yeah we have 4x4 + studded snows) Great views, fun road,... take at your own risk though.

noski
12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Exit 9 is fine,....15-20 minutes take exit 5, left off the ramp... (psst, it's exit 4, Williamstown. Exit 5 is Randolph)

win
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
No Exit 4 is Randolph and the correct one to take. Exit 5 is Williamstown.

skierdon
12-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Just another word of warning- Roxbury Gap can be an adventurous route even with 4wd. Also much easier to get lost in the dark vs. exit 9-100. I always send first-time visitors to exit 9.

That being said, Roxbury Gap is my preferred route from Boston as long as roads are manageable. Sometimes I'll also take exit 3 to Bethel Mountain Road and some swear exit 3 to 107 to 100 is quicker.

atkinson
12-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Exit 5 Northfield is another option. Get down to 12, through Northfield to Northfield Falls, left at Cox Brook Rd, straight to Rt 100B in Moretown Village. This one can save some time if Roxbury Gap is a little too much. Moretown Gap is pretty gentle comparatively.

All the way to Exit 9 is generally the safest bet if weather is a major issue.

sgottmann
12-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks -- I will lay out the options. Looking forward to my first turns tomorrow am. Can't wait!

Windshield Ski Bum
12-09-2010, 08:00 PM
The Roxbury Gap is only time a savings if you are going to Warren. If Waitsfield or Fayston is your destination, then Exit 9 is shorter.

Hawk
12-10-2010, 07:28 AM
I have done them all many many times and have found on average with good weather exit 5 to Roxbury Gap is quicker to the mountain than exit 4. I always end up behind the slow guy in Randolph.

FYI - if this person lives North of Boston near Rt. 95 and is leaving on Friday night between 3 and 7 then it is quicker to go up 95 to Rt. 101 across to Manchester, NH. You miss the traffic jam on 93 and have clear sailing with no traffic. It's at least 20 minutes shorter most days.

teleo
12-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I have done them all many many times and have found on average with good weather exit 5 to Roxbury Gap is quicker to the mountain than exit 4. I always end up behind the slow guy in Randolph.

We must drive at different times. I usually stick with exit 4 because I get stuck behind someone on exit 5. Go figure. But they are pretty close time-wise.

On the way back on Sun evening I've found the gas station in Randolph consistently has a better selection of hot coffee than the Mobile near exit 5. But I'm sure that depends on timing too.

Also, depending on where you're leaving Boston from, Rt 3 has less traffic problems than 93 on fri evening too.

Xskier
12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I am on the access road and I have found through 15 years experience, that Bethel Mountain Road and the gap Exit 5 are essentially the same amount of time. Maybe the gap is 1 or 2 minutes faster. Exit 3 to 107 to 100 is not the fastest. Its 5-10 minutes slower than the fastest options and its really easy to miss the 100N fork in the road. Time and time again i get calls that my friends have gone all the way to Killington. I've even done it myself in snowstorms. After Exit 9, Exit 3 to 107 to 100 is next easiest as long as you don't miss that turn!!

noski
12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
No Exit 4 is Randolph and the correct one to take. Exit 5 is Williamstown. Oh yea... look at that, it is. Good thing I know the way.

HowieT2
12-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I am on the access road and I have found through 15 years experience, that Bethel Mountain Road and the gap Exit 5 are essentially the same amount of time. Maybe the gap is 1 or 2 minutes faster. Exit 3 to 107 to 100 is not the fastest. Its 5-10 minutes slower than the fastest options and its really easy to miss the 100N fork in the road. Time and time again i get calls that my friends have gone all the way to Killington. I've even done it myself in snowstorms. After Exit 9, Exit 3 to 107 to 100 is next easiest as long as you don't miss that turn!!

I come up from NY so I'm not going to weigh in on the fastest route debate, except to say that going through the granville gulf on 100N is a pretty spectacular entrance to the MRV.

Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:35 AM

We must drive at different times. I usually stick with exit 4 because I get stuck behind someone on exit 5. Go figure. But they are pretty close time-wise.

On the way back on Sun evening I've found the gas station in Randolph consistently has a better selection of hot coffee than the Mobile near exit 5. But I'm sure that depends on timing too.

Also, depending on where you're leaving Boston from, Rt 3 has less traffic problems than 93 on fri evening too.

I agree about Rt 3 for metro West travelers. It's 128 that kills you getting there. :shock:

Yard Sale
12-10-2010, 02:09 PM

I agree about Rt 3 for metro West travelers. It's 128 that kills you getting there. :shock:

Most def on rte 3 during rush hour(s) from Rte. 128 thru Manchester to 89 to exit 5 and Rox Gap. The 18 mile 2 lane bottleneck from Salem thru Derry is no way to live your life.

Otherwise, if I'm sick of the highway, exit 3 to Campbrook Rd. over Bethel Mountain to 100 thru Granville Gulf (Very Purty, but what isn't up there?).

Also Campbrook Rd. is paved the whole way, so it is not as trecheroaus as Rox gap. Aside from mud season tho, under most circumstances Rox gap isn't that bad. When it's slick, you best take it slow any route. I never go all the way to exit 9.