PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Info

win
11-24-2010, 07:56 AM
This is my new post that will be up on Win's Word later today:

Well, we are less than 24 hours away from opening day at Sugarbush.

Despite the warm weather and rain on Tuesday, our snow held up on Upper Jester and Downspout, so we will be opening as planned at 9:00 AM Thanksgiving Day. The cold temperatures returned last night, so we are blowing more snow on Jester and Downspout and also coming down Upper Organgrinder. We have also started-up operations at Mt. Ellen and currently have the guns on Upper Rim Run, Elbow and Spread Eagle. That's the good news. It is very windy right now, but the winds will lessen by tomorrow morning.

The bad news is that it will be warming up later tonight and will stay warm through Friday and there is some rain in the forecast Friday. However, Thanksgiving looks like a nice day and we will be back into snowmaking late Friday as well.

We did lose some depth on Downspout, so we are going to continue making snow there as long as we can and there may not be enough depth to groom it. We need to winch it, and we want to be careful with the soft snow so that we don't rip it up until we have more depth. Therefore tomorrow is for the advanced skier who enjoys moguls because the bumps will likely be forming rather quickly tomorrow on Downspout. Conditions won't be ideal, but I am personally looking forward to getting out with my family and getting some early-season leg burn.

Our two new lodges are nearing completion and we have Certificates of Occupancy for both. Our official Ribbon Cutting and lodge openings will occur on Friday, December 10th. Until then, The Schoolhouse will not be open to the public, since we are still completing punchlist items and our artists are just finishing their murals which are looking fabulous. Ski school will be offering private lessons only until then.

The Farmhouse second floor, which contains our adult ski school operations as well as rentals and repairs, will be open tomorrow. Our tuning shop, however, will not be operating until the weekend. On the first floor, our tickets/season pass desk and the public restrooms will be open also. We are still working on the new Sunrise Cafe and the locker room, so they will not be open for a couple of weeks.

The main plaza is open and that is where everyone should enter the new buildings. Most of our beautiful new stonework has been completed but the final landscaping of the area will wait until the snows melt in the spring.

Our Ambassadors will be out in force to answer all your questions.

Pizzagalli and their subcontractors have done a great job and delivered everything that was scheduled for completion by Thanksgiving. All in all, over 220 people were employed these past several months. Nearly 90% were from Vermont and nearly one-quarter from the Valley.

Happy Thanksgiving! Rumble and I look forward to seeing you soon.

vonski
11-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Alright, Spread Eagle? Was a trail renamed?!! :D

shadyjay
11-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Spread Eagle is the connector from the split on Elbow at the bottom of the "headwall" over to the Glen House/Summit Quad. It was an official trail on the map but was sacrificed (along with Zip and Lower Brambles) in favor of making Paradise Extension, CR Hi & Lo Road, and Cat's Meow official trails. This all kept the trail count at 111.

vonski
11-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Spread Eagle is the connector from the split on Elbow at the bottom of the "headwall" over to the Glen House/Summit Quad. It was an official trail on the map but was sacrificed (along with Zip and Lower Brambles) in favor of making Paradise Extension, CR Hi & Lo Road, and Cat's Meow official trails. This all kept the trail count at 111.

Thank you very much! See ya on Friday!

boze
11-24-2010, 06:50 PM
We arrived on mtn today 230p, to the roar and sight of snow guns blazing including a few down at the base hitting the area around Bravo corral. Windy, but sub-freezing temps even down low. Must have been a really chilly day working the guns above mid-mtn. Was great to see Organgrinder getting painted white; it really stands out as, unfortunately, the recent warm up stripped the mtn of her mid-Fall natural white coat. Great view of the action from Claybrook; the early booking discount was just too good to consider our other usual lodgings. Guns still firing away as I type.

The new buildings look good, re-graded approach is a welcome improvement as well and the remaining stairs not nearly the trudge of the past few years. Season pass office was literally in process of being moved into new digs in The Farmhouse for AM opening tomorrow so we could not snag our passes ahead of the crush. Understandable in light of the situation. All in good order at Claybrook and a shout out to the front desk manager (Jeremy? - I'll edit if needed when I confirm his name) who handled requests with savvy aplomb and a level of service on par with the grand hotels of the world...no kidding. Updates tomorrow on the snow etc.

win
11-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Our mountain tesm fof s great job yesterday and last night grooming and snowmaking after the rain and freeze and wicked winds of yesterday. I had some really enjoyable early morning runs on Jester and Downspout with my fiancee and grandson.It looks like some funky weather tomorrow but it won't be long lasting and the rest of the weekend will allow for more snowmaking when the temperatures fall again tomorrow afternoon.