PDA

View Full Version : mt ellen / cliffs / blazers

beelze
11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
hoping to start the season off on a good foot this year... please put any jumps to do with the blazers on the same side that mountain ops leaves bumped. Leave the other side alone so it can be groomed as it has in years past. With tumbler, hammer head and encore all left natural don't thik this is asking too much.

vonski
11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I think this had more to do with snowmaking. It is also not Blazers but GMVS or the Diamond Dogs. As I recall little to no snowmaking on cliffs last year.
With the new pipe in it will be interesting to see where they make snow this year. Last few years no snowmaking on Exterminator. I wonder if that will change again. I vote for lower exterminator to get snowmaking, as the upper part does ski well with just natural.

HowieT2
11-22-2010, 03:31 PM
they were doing some thing at mt ellen last year with moguls. forget what it was called. it had nothing to to with blazers although there was that set with a jump for the diamond dogs.

here it is

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1589&highlight=moguls

summitchallenger
11-23-2010, 04:14 AM
My sources tell me to expect Cliffs to see snowmaking and regular grooming. This is in large part because they have installed a winchcat anchor point at the top of it allowing for quicker grooming. I think there may have been one in the past, but recently in order to groom it they required two machines--one to anchor the winch cat. That's why the grooming stopped.

Cliffs will serve as the steep groomed black diamond. The management determined that this was what Mount Ellen lacked. Everything else will remain the same.

The trail is not wide enough for half and half. Looking Good and Which Way will be half and half.

I can't wait to rip up Cliffs on first chair each weekend morning....

skibum1321
11-23-2010, 05:03 AM
That's disappointing at best. I always thought the bumps were pretty nice on Cliffs and had some pretty good lines. I guess I see the need for a steep, groomed black diamond but that is definitely not my cup of tea.

Hawk
11-23-2010, 06:02 AM
I guess when they got the award for # 1 in Terrain variety, they had to reevaluate the plan. :wink:

You know you got to give them Cord-roy cruisers there due.

shadyjay
11-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Grooming Cliffs? AWESOME!!!

vonski
11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I am okay with the fact that they will groom cliffs. Not sure why not half and half, as they have done that a lot in the past. But sure will make for a quick zip to the Northridge Chair. Calling it steep! :shock: Not sure I would go that far in comparison to the adjacent two trails!!!

Tin Woodsman
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
I am okay with the fact that they will groom cliffs. Not sure why not half and half, as they have done that a lot in the past. But sure will make for a quick zip to the Northridge Chair. Calling it steep! :shock: Not sure I would go that far in comparison to the adjacent two trails!!!

Aren't Tumbler and Hammerhead exactly as steep, but are narrow and twisty so they just seem steeper? They start and end at the same elevation.

ski_resort_observer
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
My sources tell me to expect Cliffs to see snowmaking and regular grooming. This is in large part because they have installed a winchcat anchor point at the top of it allowing for quicker grooming. I think there may have been one in the past, but recently in order to groom it they required two machines--one to anchor the winch cat. That's why the grooming stopped.

Cliffs will serve as the steep groomed black diamond. The management determined that this was what Mount Ellen lacked. Everything else will remain the same.

The trail is not wide enough for half and half. Looking Good and Which Way will be half and half.

I can't wait to rip up Cliffs on first chair each weekend morning....

Yup, per the person in charge at Mellon, The Cliffs will be groomed to have a steep groomed run rated a BD. Positively, there will be another increase in mogul terrain overall for Mt Ellen. I realize that losing a mogul run under the lift is a bummer for some perhaps Black Diamond can satisfy that, or perhaps not. :wink:

vonski
11-23-2010, 06:10 PM

Aren't Tumbler and Hammerhead exactly as steep, but are narrow and twisty so they just seem steeper? They start and end at the same elevation.

Not Sure, but it sure does not seem like it! I will have to pull out the topos. Cliffs has a much more steady pitch to it in my opinion. The other two have the flat spots at the end of the steep pitches!

And I just don't see myself on Tumbler making minimal turns if it were to see a groomer! Cliffs completely groomed will be an insanely fun run with no one on it.

It will be interesting to see just how much more snow they can blow with the new pipe. They should be able to divert from the pond and go straight up the hill now!

Hawk
11-24-2010, 03:28 AM

I wouldn't say exactly as steep. They are totally different as far as make up. Cliffs has a pretty constant pitch for most of its length so the veritcal is used in a consistant manner and is average in steepness IMO. Tumbler and Hammerhead however have flatter and steeper sections so at times it is certainly steeper. Also with the lack of grooming and the natural features it skis harder. They are certaily more challenging over the same vertical.

Plowboy
11-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Guns are going on Elbow this morning. :D

Tin Woodsman
11-24-2010, 11:47 AM

I wouldn't say exactly as steep. They are totally different as far as make up. Cliffs has a pretty constant pitch for most of its length so the veritcal is used in a consistant manner and is average in steepness IMO. Tumbler and Hammerhead however have flatter and steeper sections so at times it is certainly steeper. Also with the lack of grooming and the natural features it skis harder. They are certaily more challenging over the same vertical.

That I would agree with. I guess it's sort of the case of the guy who drowns in a river with an average depth of one foot. Averages are misleading.