PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush Opens Season 11/25

noski
11-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Just in: Sugarbush WILL OPEN for Season, Thurs. 11/25. Official lift & trail status to follow...

win
11-22-2010, 09:03 AM
I skied Upper Jester and Downspout with John Hammond this morning to check things out. The snowmaking team did a great job, and we have good depth all the way down to Heaven's Gate. We will spin Bravo at 9am on Thursday. We will be downloading on Bravo until we have temperatures in the base area for a couple of days to get all the way to the bottom. It looks like snowmaking temperatures will come back Tuesday night, and we might even be in for some snow by the weekend, so hopefully we can begin to expand the open terrain. Look forward to seeing everyone on the Mountain in a few days. Happy Thanksgiving!

Treeskier
11-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Yahhhhhh !!!!

Ski yeah then!

atkinson
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Ready to see some turns? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06okcqOegps) Win, Chad, Rick and Hammond were making sure it's okay for the rest of us. Safety first!

John

gostan
11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Opening Day lift line forms to the right of the Turkeys! :arrow:

skierdon
11-23-2010, 04:34 AM
What's the damage from this heat wave?

win
11-23-2010, 06:23 AM
We have plenty of snow on Jester and Downspout. The temperatures will be falling late tonight, so the guns up top will be back on. I think we will next go to Organgrinder. It should be skiing well by Thursday.

Hawk
11-23-2010, 07:59 AM
I am coming up Thursday after the Traditional Family Meal. Gonna need the traditional double expresso to stay awake on the drive. Skiing Friday thru Sunday. Who is IN and who is OUT for opening weekend?????

HowieT2
11-23-2010, 09:09 AM
I am coming up Thursday after the Traditional Family Meal. Gonna need the traditional double expresso to stay awake on the drive. Skiing Friday thru Sunday. Who is IN and who is OUT for opening weekend?????

I am out. family obligations has me confined to the in laws. Was thinking of driving up for the day but it doesn't really make sense. Winter starts for me the following weekend. save me some snow

random_ski_guy
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
FWIW, I wont be up. I'm a bit of a virtual skier these days....unable to get out much. Hopefully life changes back the good only way in a few years.

Brew Ski
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Since you guys won't be around, I appreciate all the freshies you are leaving to me. Don't expect the favor returned though!

There is something special about opening day....and it can't get here soon enough.

WWF-VT
11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Driving up Thursday night and plan to be on the mountain all weekend

Hawk
11-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Howie and RSG need a Wintervention!!!!! Now loose the responcibilities and get with the plan Dudes. Take a deep breath and say I must ski. Say it...... ;-)

Treeskier
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Be UP! Then down!

Doing my snow dance!

HowieT2
11-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Howie and RSG need a Wintervention!!!!! Now loose the responcibilities and get with the plan Dudes. Take a deep breath and say I must ski. Say it...... ;-)

believe me this is not my preference. Being stuck at the in laws with no cell or internet service is torture. If there was more snow, I'd pull rank, but as it is, I'll keep the bullets in the chamber.

gostan
11-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Thursday will be my first Opening Day! Looking forward to meeting you all then, or later in the season. A wonderful Thanksgiving to all.

Tree, ski you Friday.

vonski
11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
I am doing the Thursday night drive with laps beginning on Friday am!

boze
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Heading up tomorrow AM, everyone's psyched to get their 1st runs of the season on Thurs & more on Fri.Looking fwd to seeing some familiar faces up there. Happy Turkey Day to all.

random_ski_guy
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks Hawk. Like Howie, I'm going to save that clever wintervention idea for when winter hits high season. I have only so many 'get out of jail' ski day passes and they must be used wisely. I will throw the skis in the car in case a window of opportunity appears over the four day spell.

boze
11-24-2010, 06:27 AM
RSG - maybe Santa will bring u extra hall passes this year. Either way tis a wise call; early season is fun but better days ahead where there's more than lapping the same track all day. :wink:

teleo
11-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Fri drive, finally get some turns on Sat!!!!!!! Can't wait.

boze
11-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Yesterday was a fine opening day. The quality of the man-made IMHO was that it was pretty darn terrific. As one would expect following this early AM's moisture, things have changed a bit.

Happily though at around 11am at the base, the steady drizzle morphed into light-to-moderate snow squalls and general light snow. Total accum at top was a full 'Jay Peak' inch. :wink:

But the effect was to remind us all that it was nearly, almost Winter - - and that elevation matters. Headed out for a couple spins w/ my son after lunch w/ friends (who opted to not venture out - and yes they remain friends but are on dbl secret probation). Anyway things certainly had firmed up by 2p. I am assuming the snowpack was a bit softer earlier in the day during the period of premature snow. Just one of those days that provide NE skiers the opportunity to hone their carving skills. Sno-cone shavings kind of skiing, for some stretches. That's November and no surprise and still fun. Of note we thought much of Deathspout skiied better than Jester. Go figure. Repeated runs left the same impression. Hopefully if temps and water content etc etc all OK the groomers can work their special magic. But the 1:50pm snow report posting does not give me much hope ie:"New grooming isn't anticipated (for Saturday) until snowmaking moves to our next locations." I'm hoping I am either misunderstanding, or the earlier concern of some ungroomable (make-it-worse) conditions exist.

BTW it seems tonight there's a fan gun blasting away at the base of LP near Bravo corral. Way cool, and looks quite effective - just a portion of its semi-circle rotation is coating a huge area including as blow-over the whole of the deck and concourse at rear of the base lodge. Not sure the relative all-in cost but this puppy is making its own weather system in its general vicinity and that weather is snow-fillled. It makes the several guns that were there on Wed look like a bunch of sissies, big time.

Back to the snow dance.

vonski
11-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Made a bunch of laps today after making several yesterday afternoon. Snow was better today, but the definition of advanced skier certainly has various interpretations. But can't blame anyone for needing to get out! So, early season fun and good conditioning! Can't wait for the woods to get away from all the moving objects on the trails! :D